BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Damaged paint under OEM Spoiler.

03-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Damaged paint under OEM Spoiler.

I am disappointed to find the paint damaged from Spoiler adhesive.
The betalink is advertised and designed to not damage paint but is not the case, The Pro spoiler location exposes the damaged paint and is noticeable from certain angles and lighting.
The BMW body shop could re paint trunk Lid but who would want that?! The Pro Spoiler looks amazing but I have to live with the waves in the clear coat now.
Attached Images

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp

Last edited by MCOMP; 01-11-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
It doesn't look too bad from the pic, but if you're OCD like me I'd just get it repainted. Wrapping the lid in a gloss black wrap would be a hard no for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I didnt think the standard lip spoiler had Betalink, it was just doublesided 3m tape ?.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

The standard spoiler definitely has beta link. I know because I took mine off and installed my new spoiler myself. I did not use the beta link on the new spoiler because of the concern damaging the paint and removing it down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
The standard spoiler definitely has beta link. I know because I took mine off and installed my new spoiler myself. I did not use the beta link on the new spoiler because of the concern damaging the paint and removing it down the road.
Did you get the Betalink off ok Trev ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Yes but I was very reluctant to use any type of machine to do it. I soaked it good with a detail spray and rubbed it with my fingers and used a little bit of heat on it. It took me about 30 to 40 minutes of rubbing it with my fingers.
For the new spoiler (M pro) I cut strips of superstrong 3M body panel tape to fit the spoiler. Some areas I had to double it up. It’s stuck on there real good..you cannot get the spoiler off unless you were attempting to pry it off using some type of tool.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
Yes but I was very reluctant to use any type of machine to do it. I soaked it good with a detail spray and rubbed it with my fingers and used a little bit of heat on it. It took me about 30 to 40 minutes of rubbing it with my fingers.
For the new spoiler (M pro) I cut strips of superstrong 3M body panel tape to fit the spoiler. Some areas I had to double it up. It’s stuck on there real good..you cannot get the spoiler off unless you were attempting to pry it off using some type of tool.

Thanks for the reply Trev,
Good info . Im going to have a go with mine, hopefully this weekend, if time allows. Ive got my arsenal of removal tools, from hairdryer to nylon line and sticky goo remover. Will have a look when its off to see how i want to attach the pro spoiler, be it Betalink, or 3m tape, as ive got both to hand.Hoping for a good outcome. I know i could take it to the dealers, but wheres the fun and satisfaction in that ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I didnt think the standard lip spoiler had Betalink, it was just doublesided 3m tape ?.
That video is misleading, It is much harder to remove spoiler and residue than depicted.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Trev,
Good info . Im going to have a go with mine, hopefully this weekend, if time allows. Ive got my arsenal of removal tools, from hairdryer to nylon line and sticky goo remover. Will have a look when its off to see how i want to attach the pro spoiler, be it Betalink, or 3m tape, as ive got both to hand.Hoping for a good outcome. I know i could take it to the dealers, but wheres the fun and satisfaction in that ?
I'm with you, definitely a DIY.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
That video is misleading, It is much harder to remove spoiler and residue than depicted.

I did think this. Im grateful for INDs videos, but they somehow always seem to be, to good to be true ?.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did think this. Im grateful for INDs videos, but they somehow always seem to be, to good to be true ?.
The video seems edited to show complete ease of Spoiler removal, Hey! lets sell some Spoilers! LOL Helpful video however.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #12
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

oem small spoiler should not be installed with beta link. I have removed mine from my comp and my buddies non comp and they were both 3m taped on. Came off quite easy. BMW loves that betalink stuff for the cf parts, I would never use it. GL getting it off ever.
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

The Original trunk lip spoiler is held by double sided tape. But BMW apply the adhesion promoter so it stuck on it very good.
I have done a few on F90 and G30.
Taking them off are easy, cleaning it up is a bitch.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-22-2019, 02:29 AM   #14
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
The Original trunk lip spoiler is held by double sided tape. But BMW apply the adhesion promoter so it stuck on it very good.
I have done a few on F90 and G30.
Taking them off are easy, cleaning it up is a bitch.

r33, Thanks for the reply,
Could i ask if you have seen, or had any problems of the paint being marked underneath the OEM spoiler, the same as the OP ?.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
oem small spoiler should not be installed with beta link. I have removed mine from my comp and my buddies non comp and they were both 3m taped on. Came off quite easy. BMW loves that betalink stuff for the cf parts, I would never use it. GL getting it off ever.
Was the spoiler you removed on an F90 M5, and did you use the procedure as in the video to remove ?, thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm thinking now that Carbon Fiber Spoiler upgrades are installed at Port with Beta Link and that factory installed non Carbon spoilers might be installed with the tape. If a non Carbon flies off, no big deal but if a Carbon flies off well then....... Thats my logic.
I'm temped now to open up a case with BMW warranty because clearly my damage was caused by the installation glue used to mount my $730 one inch Carbon Fiber spoiler.
You can clearly see the paint damage where the spoiler was that is now exposed with Pro spoiler. Which was not caused by the removal but by the glue used.
Attached Images

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C

Last edited by MCOMP; 03-22-2019 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #17
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Holy crap. That looks way worse than the first picture. I assume it's just the clear coat? If it is, there is a chance it could be attenuated with some paint correction. Wet sand and polish.

If not I would push them for a repaint. A good shop can paint match with no issues.
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #18
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking now that Carbon Fiber Spoiler upgrades are installed at Port with Beta Link and that factory installed non Carbon spoilers might be installed with the tape. If a non Carbon flies off, no big deal but if a Carbon flies off well then....... Thats my logic.
I'm temped now to open up a case with BMW warranty because clearly my damage was caused by the installation glue used to mount my $730 one inch Carbon Fiber spoiler.
You can clearly see the paint damage where the spoiler was that is now exposed with Pro spoiler. Which was not caused by the removal but by the glue used in my opinion.

Wow !!,
That looks terrible. Is the photo a true reflection of what you are seeing ?, surely it cant be that bad ?.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #19
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
Holy crap. That looks way worse than the first picture. I assume it's just the clear coat? If it is, there is a chance it could be attenuated with some paint correction. Wet sand and polish.

If not I would push them for a repaint. A good shop can paint match with no issues.
BMW body shop tried wet sand but to no avail. I'm just not comfortable with a repaint, I've never had a good experience with paint matching on my cars. But I might have no choice.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #20
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:

BMW body shop tried wet sand but to no avail. I'm just not comfortable with a repaint, I've never had a good experience with paint matching on my cars. But I might have no choice.
Got it. I'd be nervous also if it was a door or fender but less so with the top of the trunk. . Hope you sort it out one way or another
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #21
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:

This might be way out there for you, but, you could fit the OEM spoiler back on, to cover the paint, and fit the pro spoiler too, as they both fit on the car at the same time ?. You could then claim you have double downforce, and a unique set up ?. When i got my spoiler, my dealer and i unpacked it, and offered it up to a car in the showroom, and we said, we could leave the standard one in place, and fit the M Pro as well. Just a unique thought
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #22
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap. That looks way worse than the first picture.
It is hard to photograph.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0