BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish - Is This It?

03-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish - Is This It?

We're going with the Cognac Vernasca leather on our X7 and before it goes into production I am in a bit of a panic over the wood trim choice.

In the YouTube video (top photo) there is a black trim that I really like which is shown with the extended individual interior against Tartufo leather.

So when I go to the BMW configurator, the only choice with Tartufo Extended Marino that makes logical sense to me from the crude renderings is Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish. But that YouTube clip makes the trim look glossy, not matte.

If the trim in the YouTube video is indeed Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish then I think I'm in luck as it's available for Cognac Vernasca.

Can anyone clarify? Link to the YouTube video is here (at 16:43):

If the trim in the video is not Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish, anyone know what it is? I really appreciate all the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:52 AM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

didnt have time to watch second video again but the 16:43 screenshot looks like black fineline gloss to me ?
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      03-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

I have Tartufo with Black ash grain bronze effect matte. Here's a few real life pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      03-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

My fear of the matt finish is scratches showing easily
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
My fear of the matt finish is scratches showing easily
The fear was the opposite for me on polished surface. Swirl marks , finger prints and scratches show much more on a shiny black surface
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
I have Tartufo with Black ash grain bronze effect matte. Here's a few real life pics
Thank you. So I'm guessing what's shown in that video is Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Trim with the camera playing tricks and removing the brown hue? It's the only thing I can think of.

How do you like the Black Ash Grain? Any propensity towards scratching or anything else you can share? Was there a reason you chose that over some of the gloss finishes?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

The matte finish trim looks great! Thanks for posting. Saved me $1080 on ash silver which i was thinking of going for when i do place an order in the next few months. Well not definite order. Waiting for wife to see new aviator and then we will make a purchase for a new family suv
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Fyi. Matte finish on wood trim is more durable than gloss in my experience . Wifes xc90 has matte wood. Still looks brand new 3 years in. Matte finish is a pain on exterior paint in my opinion.. not on wood trim
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Thank you. So I'm guessing what's shown in that video is Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Trim with the camera playing tricks and removing the brown hue? It's the only thing I can think of.

How do you like the Black Ash Grain? Any propensity towards scratching or anything else you can share? Was there a reason you chose that over some of the gloss finishes?
For me the finish was between the 2 matte options. I've always went with brushed aluminum in my other bmws and that wasn't an option. The parts of the trim in my 2014 X5 that were polished black always looked worn, just from normal use. Even though we took great care of our vehicle and washed weekly/ biweekly. It just bothered me. I no longer own black cars for the same reason, just way to much care and maintenance to keep it looking new. I was torn between the 2 matte finishes but feared what the grey poplar would like like with tartufo sight unseen. So I went with the safer choice matte black. I like it I'm not in love with it. Would rather have a little more contrast but so far so good.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For me the finish was between the 2 matte options. I've always went with brushed aluminum in my other bmws and that wasn't an option. The parts of the trim in my 2014 X5 that were polished black always looked worn, just from normal use. Even though we took great care of our vehicle and washed weekly/ biweekly. It just bothered me. I no longer own black cars for the same reason, just way to much care and maintenance to keep it looking new. I was torn between the 2 matte finishes but feared what the grey poplar would like like with tartufo sight unseen. So I went with the safer choice matte black. I like it I'm not in love with it. Would rather have a little more contrast but so far so good.
It looks great because it doesn't add color/noise to the dash which now looks like one congruent black entity with popping aluminum trim. It's a very clean and sleek look IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I appreciate the inputs, guys. All my previous Bimmers have been with black leather and brushed aluminum trim. I'd even be open to aluminum trim on the X7 if it were available, but maybe it's best not on a jumbo SUV. So the black matte with bronze effect is one of my top choices. Having seen it in person, it looked good, but haven't seen it with black leather yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/28C9DFLm/youtube.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/x83smq7W/Tartufo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/3RpfKtZr/Cognac.jpg[/IMG]

We're going with the Cognac Vernasca leather on our X7 and before it goes into production I am in a bit of a panic over the wood trim choice.

In the YouTube video (top photo) there is a black trim that I really like which is shown with the extended individual interior against Tartufo leather.

So when I go to the BMW configurator, the only choice with Tartufo Extended Marino that makes logical sense to me from the crude renderings is Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish. But that YouTube clip makes the trim look glossy, not matte.

If the trim in the YouTube video is indeed Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish then I think I'm in luck as it's available for Cognac Vernasca.

Can anyone clarify? Link to the YouTube video is here (at 16:43):

If the trim in the video is not Ash Grain Black With Bronze Effect MatteFinish, anyone know what it is? I really appreciate all the help.
Here are few pics with the same finish but cream interior it looks really good as I was hoping for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the ash grain matte with bronze effect has become my favorite existing trim. I'm still checking out the new black wood with aluminum inserts, but if I decide not to go with it, I'll be going with the bronze effect for sure.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the ash grain matte with bronze effect has become my favorite existing trim. I'm still checking out the new black wood with aluminum inserts, but if I decide not to go with it, I'll be going with the bronze effect for sure.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I went with this trim. There was really no other option for me except the Piano Black.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #16
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I misspoke earlier. I went with the other matte finish which is more brown than grey. I really liked both but since I chose coffee interior the brown one was better for me. Had I chose black, this would def have been the choice. So nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #17
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I have the ash grain matte with bronze effect and I love it. BUT... where is the bronze effect? Lol. I don't see any bronze or color or anything. It looks like flat black grained wood to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Quote:
I have the ash grain matte with bronze effect and I love it. BUT... where is the bronze effect? Lol. I don't see any bronze or color or anything. It looks like flat black grained wood to me.
I agree I do not see the bronze effect which actually I am happy with.
What is disappointing is that samples are not available at dealership and when you really want to set your car you need to look in the net. For me this original post helped me to make decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see it either, but... whatever. I like the way it looks. They can call it "happy fun rainbow unicorn vomit" color for all I care, as long as it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #20
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see it either, but... whatever. I like the way it looks. They can call it "happy fun rainbow unicorn vomit" color for all I care, as long as it looks good.
Haha. I thought about some bronze or gold paint paste... dab it on a rag and lightly wipe the wood. So it kinda catches the edges and highlights the grain more? Who wants to be the first to try it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #21
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha. I thought about some bronze or gold paint paste... dab it on a rag and lightly wipe the wood. So it kinda catches the edges and highlights the grain more? Who wants to be the first to try it?
Great idea we wait for you to lead the way
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #22
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

The reason I ordered this trim is because the bronze is barely noticeable in certain lights. I prefer the matte black look.
Appreciate 0