03-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

1M external PCV install

The background:

The direct injection used on the N54 has a number of attributes, but carbon deposits on the intake valves and a questionable PCV system are annoying exceptions, requiring walnut blasting every 40-50k miles to keep smoothness and efficiency in check. While the procedure doesn't appear to be too bad, it's a hassle and I'd prefer not to disassemble anything unnecessarily on my 7.2k mile 1M.

A few years ago, Rob Beck from RB Turbos, designed some parts to help externalize the PCV system (https://www.rbturbo.com/products/acc...ternal-pcv-kit). Basically, these parts allow the valve cover to be vented to a baffled and filtered Mishimoto oil catch can (https://www.mishimoto.com/compact-ba...an-2-port.html), trapping most of the oil that usually finds its way into the intake (believed to be a significant contributor to the intake valve deposits). I liked the design, but since it required the customer design and fabricate a mounting bracket, the project was put on the backburner.

Enter the new Burger Motorsports BOV adapter (http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMS_...m_Adapter.html). BMS recently released this little gem which, like a similar part available within one of the RB kits (they offer three options), is installed between the throttle body and evap valve to provide the vacuum source for the external PCV. However, rather than being equipped with a fixed single barb, the BMS version has two 1/8" NPT ports. This is huge, as it accommodates the new PCV plumbing and provides a convenient way to increase BOV hose diameter from small (able to fit the diverter valve vacuum supply barb on the intake manifold) to 1/4" (recommended by Tial). The benefit of this hose upgrade is a more responsive BOV.

Seeing an opportunity to knock out two projects at once, I ordered both the RB external PCV and BMS BOV adapter. The process of installing the RB system is well documented (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35535, https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293291, https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1216651), so I won't go into a long-winded DIY here. Also, keep in mind my install location was made possible due to the extra space provided by my aFe intake (https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-11...-intake-system). The stock airbox takes up more room.

The parts:

BMS BOV adapter (BMS)
External PCV valve and N54 valve cover adapter (RB Turbo)
Oil catch can (Mishimoto)

3/8" NPT to 3/8" straight barb for catch can (RB Turbo)
3/8" NPT to 3/8" 45 deg barb for catch can (Vibrant Performance)
1/8" NPT to 3/8" straight barb for PCV vacuum supply (RB Turbo)
1/8" NPT to 1/4" 90 deg barb for BOV (Vibrant Performance)

3/8" Gates Barricade fuel hose, looks OE right down to the green lettering
6 mm silicone BOV vacuum line (Verocious Motorsports)
4 mm silicone intake manifold barb cap (Verocious Motorsports)
4 constant tension clamps for 3/8" hose (RB Turbo)
1 constant tension clamp for 6 mm vacuum line
1 constant tension clamp for intake manifold barb

1" wide 1/16" steel strip for bracket fabrication

Bosch EV1 short male and female connectors
Bosch EV1 short 90 degree boot
20 gauge wire, mesh wire loom, adhesive-lined shrink tubing

The process:

Most of the core parts are shown here, including the RB external PCV valve (left), the BMS BOV adapter (center), and Mishimoto catch can (back right).

The PCV valve install was straightforward, just make absolutely sure not to cross thread the plastic valve cover with the aluminum threads of the PCV adapter. The Gates Barricade fuel injection hose looks OEM and was routed along the existing PCV flapper tubing. The allowed the engine cover to be properly installed without modification.

I initially installed the BMS BOV adapter with the straight barb shown in the first pic on top and the RB straight barb on the bottom. Not liking how the hose routing looked, I moved the RB fitting to the top and used a 90 elbow on the bottom to supply vacuum to the Tial BOV. The ID of my Tial BOV barb was 0.170" so I bored the Vibrant elbow to match.

As previously mentioned, the BMS BOV adapter is installed between the throttle body and evap valve. In my case, this caused two problems. First, I felt like this put too much tension on the wires leading to the evap valve, especially at the end of the connector. Second, the wires at the end of the connector touched the firewall insulation. Probably not a big deal for most people, but it bugged me. To remedy, I fabricated an extension using short Bosch EV1 connectors. I didn't realize they came in so many sizes, but the extra 1/8" I gained using the shortest version made me feel better.

The last part of the install required fabrication of a bracket to adapt the Mishimoto catch can mounting ring to the car. The aFe bracket used to attach the dual cone intake to the BMW airbox location worked well for this. All mounting hardware was secured with Loctite blue.

The result:

I'm happy with the end result, and look forward to never having to walnut blast the intake valves. The install is clean, looks nearly OE, provides easy service access to the can, and did not require any irreversible modification to the car.

Last edited by E30 Racer; 04-01-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 4
      03-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Nice write up!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
Nice write up!
Seriously nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
IZSL07L
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Amazing work, thanks for the write up! I hope this really solves the deposit issue. Did you tap your PVC head plug?

Last edited by IZSL07L; 03-31-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZSL07L View Post
Amazing work, thanks for the write up! I hope this really solves the deposit issue. Did you tap your PVC head plug?
I didn't tap/plug the head. My impression is that while it may be the "best" way to go, its not absolutely essential and I'd rather not tear into the car for it. Pulling the valve cover and intake is not a quick job (especially when you're being meticulous) and presents many opportunities to mess something up.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
IZSL07L
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying! Hope to see updates on the results!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Will do. I've only put about 25 miles on the car since the install. Not surprisingly, there wasn't anything in the can (although it did smell like oil).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
pinder91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
So your External RB kit came with the 1/8"NPT to 3/8" straight barb? The only barbs mine came with replace the plastic ones for the Mishimoto can. The TB adapter from the RB kit has the barb welded to the adapter.

Asking because I just got in my BMS BOV adapter kit, but the supplied straight barb is too small to be used with the Mishimoto can.
Dynavin N6
OEM M3 Carbon Roof / OEM M3 Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinder91 View Post
So your External RB kit came with the 1/8"NPT to 3/8" straight barb? The only barbs mine came with replace the plastic ones for the Mishimoto can. The TB adapter from the RB kit has the barb welded to the adapter.

Asking because I just got in my BMS BOV adapter kit, but the supplied straight barb is too small to be used with the Mishimoto can.
There are a number of options available from RB, including one that has the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" straight barb (usually installed into the intake manifold, but I didn't want to drill/tap) in lieu of the RB throttle body fitting. I believe Earls, Aeroquip, or Vibrant offer them as well. If you use the BMS BOV adapter, you won't need the RB equivalent.

The straight barb supplied with the BMS adapter (which I did not end up using) is for the BOV, not the external PCV system. I used the RB 1/8" NPT to 3/8" for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
pinder91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Thanks for the info. After checking back it appears the barb I'm after comes with the non-PNP kit from RB. Considering the installation requirements, it makes sense now.

My first check elsewhere was Vibrant and they didn't seem to have the correct size. Earl's has them!
Dynavin N6
OEM M3 Carbon Roof / OEM M3 Mirrors

Last edited by pinder91; 04-10-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Iv been a long time lurker but specially registered, just so i could post in this thread.

Your install is impeccable ! Your engine bay is also super clean!!!

I am contemplating installing the recently launched bms vacuum occ kit, i just recently acquired my 1M and want to keep it as stock/oem looking
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3d_1M View Post
Iv been a long time lurker but specially registered, just so i could post in this thread.

Your install is impeccable ! Your engine bay is also super clean!!!

I am contemplating installing the recently launched bms vacuum occ kit, i just recently acquired my 1M and want to keep it as stock/oem looking
I may install the BMS kit on my 335i to check it out. That said, I like the filter used in the Mishimoto can, and don't particularly care for the strut brace-based mounting bracket BMS uses.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep

I think the only advantage / disadvantage of the strut brace mounted occ ( I had the bms high side occ on my 335) is that it can be pretty much hidden under the cowel as it's towards the firewall. The disadvantage is that it's not easily accessible and would mean removing the cowel at a minimum to empty out the tank.

I agree with you that the Mishimoto has a really nice filter setup but on the other hand I like the volume of the tank of the bms
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3d_1M View Post
I think the only advantage / disadvantage of the strut brace mounted occ ( I had the bms high side occ on my 335) is that it can be pretty much hidden under the cowel as it's towards the firewall. The disadvantage is that it's not easily accessible and would mean removing the cowel at a minimum to empty out the tank.

I agree with you that the Mishimoto has a really nice filter setup but on the other hand I like the volume of the tank of the bms
To me, accessibility is key...especially on a daily used in the Midwest. Pulling the cowl, and the brittle plastic bits associated with it, in the middle of the winter would suck to the point I could see the drain interval being excessively deferred.

I like the Mishimoto N54 mounting bracket for this reason. Again, accessibility/functionality trump optimal underhood aesthetics IMO (for a daily anyway). This is the direction I'll probably go with my 335, but perhaps with an adapter for the BMS can.

Having said all that, maybe just using the M3 cowl would be the way to go. Better accessibility to the valve cover cover would also be nice. It is an N54 after all , and it seems like I'm pulling that thing with higher frequency as the miles build...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep

I had the bms cowel delete filters on the 335,so it was easy to access the occ but on the 1M I'd prefer to keep it more stock...

I'v been looking for the microfilters and cowel but haven't had much success on that front..

I posted on n54tech but didn't get a response from bms... But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to convert the existing bms occ to the lowside conversion provided I get the adapter and the new pcv valve
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #16
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep

My BMS Vacuum kit got delivered to me yesterday. I also purchased the full BOV kit, to convert the fitting on the tial to a quick connect fitting. My cars mileage is on 38000km, so i will do a diy carbon clean like i did on my 335 and then install my chargepipe and occ .

Just wanted to say thanks again, for your thread, i was very undecided on the direction to take with my car until i read your write up.
Appreciate 0