F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Trying to *lower* the DRL LED brightness on LCI LED headlights
Studio RSR

04-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Trying to *lower* the DRL LED brightness on LCI LED headlights

Howdy dudes.

I have a 2016 328i -- LCI -- with the LED headlights (non-directional).

I think the daytime running lights are WAY too bright and want to tone them down. One major reason I got Bimmercode was to do this. It was set to 100%, from the factory, so I tried lowering it 4 times -- eventually all the way down to 10% -- but there's NO CHANGE. The value I set is stored, when I go into re-check, but the DRL is still functioning at 100%.

All my other Bimmercode changes are working.

Can I take care of this by going into "expert mode"? Anyone know the proper parameters to change -- I can't find anything definitive for the DRL LEDs (for LCI models), using the search -- although I may have missed it.

Thanks a TON -- would be super stoked if I could get help figuring this out!!!

-Nathan
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Howdy dudes.

I have a 2016 328i -- LCI -- with the LED headlights (non-directional).

I think the daytime running lights are WAY too bright and want to tone them down. One major reason I got Bimmercode was to do this. It was set to 100%, from the factory, so I tried lowering it 4 times -- eventually all the way down to 10% -- but there's NO CHANGE. The value I set is stored, when I go into re-check, but the DRL is still functioning at 100%.

All my other Bimmercode changes are working.

Can I take care of this by going into "expert mode"? Anyone know the proper parameters to change -- I can't find anything definitive for the DRL LEDs (for LCI models), using the search -- although I may have missed it.

Thanks a TON -- would be super stoked if I could get help figuring this out!!!

-Nathan

Are you worried about blinding other people? Or do you look at the front of your car a lot? haha I'm trying to figure out how to code them full power at night, I'll let you know if I figure it out. You would have to go into expert mode to lower values to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
Are you worried about blinding other people? Or do you look at the front of your car a lot? haha I'm trying to figure out how to code them full power at night, I'll let you know if I figure it out. You would have to go into expert mode to lower values to do it.
I've seen threads regarding how to do it (on LCI cars), with the headlights being **on** -- but that's not what I want to do. If that helps you, however, check out post #20 here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1231253

Regarding the DRLs: Just my opinion -- I think the LCI cars, with LED DRL lights, are just hella-fucking-bright. Like obnoxiously bright to where people have to squint. Plus, it is so ridiculously over-blown it looks WAY too washed out, to me. Hence, why I want to lower them down a bit. I'd think it could only help with longevity, as well, as I noticed there's heatsinks and active cooling fans, for these lights -- although that's would be a distant secondary advantage, if there even is any.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
I've seen threads regarding how to do it (on LCI cars), with the headlights being **on** -- but that's not what I want to do. If that helps you, however, check out post #20 here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1231253

Regarding the DRLs: Just my opinion -- I think the LCI cars, with LED DRL lights, are just hella-fucking-bright. Like obnoxiously bright to where people have to squint. Plus, it is so ridiculously over-blown it looks WAY too washed out, to me. Hence, why I want to lower them down a bit. I'd think it could only help with longevity, as well, as I noticed there's heatsinks and active cooling fans, for these lights -- although that's would be a distant secondary advantage, if there even is any.
Hey that’s fair! We all have our own opinions, I get it! I found that thread too, but BimmerCode didn’t have the option they listed for me. There’s said PWM_1 and mine didn’t start until PWM_4 if that makes sense. I translated a few of the German words in there and I’m going to try it again and see if I can find an option that works! Oh, and I see you’re just a couple hours north of me!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Howdy -- just refreshing the post: I've been itching to dim these DRLs a bit since the day I got the car!

Hoping someone knows how to do this on the LCI LED headlights -- would really, really, really, make my day if anyone knew how to do this!

= )

Thanks dudes.

Last edited by natesi; 04-03-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Amazing that nobody knows how to do this manually.

I'll hit up BimmerCode, as the front-end of their app clearly isn't working right.

Last edited by natesi; 04-05-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Quote:
Amazing that nobody knows how to do this manually.

I'll hit up BimmerCode, as the front-end of their app clearly isn't working right.
hi, i dont quite remember the parameters, but i believe i set these value on Esys:

on FLE(s) module:

POLI1_idx
Poli2_idx
poli3_idx

set the value on those parameters, it's written in HEX.

T
      04-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88tuning.id View Post
hi, i dont quite remember the parameters, but i believe i set these value on Esys:

on FLE(s) module:

POLI1_idx
Poli2_idx
poli3_idx

set the value on those parameters, it's written in HEX.

T
Thanks -- just got back for the weekend -- was out of town! What is the FLE module -- I can't find it? I'm new to coding; sorry. Is that a sub-component of the front electronic module?

Also got a response from BimmerCode. But they need more info.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #9
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

BimmerCode, themselves, confirmed that the app cannot alter the DRL brightness in F30 LCI cars with the LED headlights.

They also confirmed manual coding could be made in the FLE module, but their app cannot do that either (module not listed, so "expert mode" not available).

= (
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #10
DATN26Shheeesh
DATn26Shheeesh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16-F30-328

Checking in on their thread to see if anyone has tried to dim their LCI DRLs with the recent updates to bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I’ve been messing with this due to having some lemon yellow drls that are WAY too bright. What I noticed while I was coding at night is that changing them from 100% to 10% creates less light in front of the car on the floor but when you look at them with your eyes they are still insanely bright. I guess what I am saying is that the dim function IS working but 10% is stupid bright and 100% is supernova af burn ur retinas bright. Shame.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #12
Jaymatic83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive MPPSK

I tried the latest bimmerlink update. It even has a section for FLE coding for angel eye brightness but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anybody have any luck turning down the DRL brightness on LCI LED headlights?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 05:17 PM   #13
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

I was never able to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 04:38 AM   #14
TheNine90
Banned
Rep