E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can I replace just front rotors and use same pads?

04-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Can I replace just front rotors and use same pads?

A year ago replaced front brake pads with brand new hella-pagid from PelicanParts. Mechanic said that rotors were still in good condition so he just took them to rectification . But now, after 9k miles, the rotors are not flat and also aren’t thick enough (I think it would have been better to replaced them with the pads). But my question is if I can replace now just both front rotors or do I need to buy new pads again? I am asking this because I’ve read some threads where people say that it is necessary to replace rotors and pads as well. I was going to buy new rotors only and use same pads which are still in very good condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

You might be able to get away with it. But brakes are the only thing between you and hard things like walls, trees, rocks, and so on. Not the right place to try and save a dime.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Of course resources are not unlimited, so I can see not wanting to toss good pads (are they good in thickness but have an irregular surface due to the bad rotors?)...but I would simply replace both. We had a common issue at least on the 335 rears where they begin to make a squeak squeak squeak as early as 15k and the only solution was to get new pads. Most like me live with the sound as we're not willing to throw the pads away that quickly. But you do want to have the best surfaces on both to stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It all depends on how much pad life you have left. If they're 50% worn, you'd spend more in the long run because you'd probably be replacing both the rotor and pads once the pads wear out. At the very least, you'd have to get the rotors turned which will also cost money, usually about the same or more than new rotors (unless you bring them to O'Reilly Auto parts where they'll do it for $15/rotor).

If you're at, say 75%, you can get away using the same pads and get good overall life. Scuff them with some sandpaper on a flat surface to remove any glazing and have new material to mate to the rotor.

The rotors are designed to wear at the same rate as the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Put a sheet of coarse grit sand paper (80) on a flat surface. Then rub the face of the pads on the sand paper to remove any ridges or imperfections. Then blow them off with air.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Reusing pads with new rotors is not a problem. I reused my Textar pads when I upgraded to new 330i rotors. Just try to bed the pads in again to transfer material to the new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cala View Post
A year ago replaced front brake pads with brand new hella-pagid from PelicanParts. Mechanic said that rotors were still in good condition so he just took them to rectification . But now, after 9k miles, the rotors are not flat and also aren’t thick enough (I think it would have been better to replaced them with the pads). But my question is if I can replace now just both front rotors or do I need to buy new pads again? I am asking this because I’ve read some threads where people say that it is necessary to replace rotors and pads as well. I was going to buy new rotors only and use same pads which are still in very good condition.
Might as well since u hav to take them off
Appreciate 0