BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Comfort Access lights on all night

04-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Comfort Access lights on all night

My wife often leaves her purse in the car with the keys in it, while parked in our garage. I've noticed the comfort access lights on when I walk into my garage at 7 am while leaving for work,for the fifth time. They just stay on all night. No carpet or door handles just taillights and some not very bright lights in front. I open the door and turn the lights off from auto. Shouldn't they turn off after several minutes or is this something wrong? I feel like calling genius is a waste of time and they'll prob tell me to take her purse 10 ft away from the car. I have the settings a 20 seconds for exterior lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I think it might just light up as you approach it before you can see it do so. I keep my key just inside the house from the garage really close to the car, and sometimes when I approach the car from an open garage door (driveway side) while key is inside it will light up. I think it senses you walking up to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Make sure the setting for her profile puts her car in idle state (BMW speak for "off") when the door is opened.

Car > Settings > Doors/Access > turn off vehicle after opening doors
PIPE_DR354.50
      04-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

There used to be a feature that kept one side of the lights slightly on when the indicator light was engaged while the vehicle was parked. I doubt though that's the reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
There used to be a feature that kept one side of the lights slightly on when the indicator light was engaged while the vehicle was parked. I doubt though that's the reason.
They've actually put buttons around the lighting module for those roadside parking lights now. No more pushing the turn stalk by accident and wondering why those lights are on.
      04-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Make sure the setting for her profile puts her car in idle state (BMW speak for "off") when the door is opened.

Car > Settings > Doors/Access > turn off vehicle after opening doors
I checking the setting and it was already in the all power off when door open. I turned off the greeting and goodbye light in my wife's profile. I'll see if that does the trick. Thanks for the pointers
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      04-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
My wife often leaves her purse in the car with the keys in it, while parked in our garage. I've noticed the comfort access lights on when I walk into my garage at 7 am while leaving for work,for the fifth time. They just stay on all night. No carpet or door handles just taillights and some not very bright lights in front. I open the door and turn the lights off from auto. Shouldn't they turn off after several minutes or is this something wrong? I feel like calling genius is a waste of time and they'll prob tell me to take her purse 10 ft away from the car. I have the settings a 20 seconds for exterior lights.
Yep, happened with me too. And I was just blaming myself on "maybe I forgot to press the Engine Start/Stop button AFTER pressing the P button.

Just make sure that she presses the START/STOP button after she presses the P (if this is the case with you).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Yep, happened with me too. And I was just blaming myself on "maybe I forgot to press the Engine Start/Stop button AFTER pressing the P button.

Just make sure that she presses the START/STOP button after she presses the P (if this is the case with you).
I knew that worked on my F15 X5 not sure if it does on these. Ill let you know if that does anything
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Take the purse and key out of the car, lock the door, secure the purse and key in the house. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Agreed, Its Male logic vs Female logic. Her argument is she could just leave her purse in her old BMW and not have to worry about lights staying on all night. I do think the that turning off the greeting and goodbye lights is working so far and perfect compromise.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This happened to a few X5 owners a few months ago. Lights stayed on all night. Reset your iDrive by the 40 second volume push and see if it happens without the key near the vehicle. I am positive you can leave the key in the vehicle and the lights will turn off. I have done this many times detailing mine for hours on end.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Anyone else having an issue where the lights stay on in the garage? I don't leave my keys in the car and my lights stay on. Won't turn off until I lock the car.

I have an idea that sometimes it thinks someone is still in the car because of the car seat using the buckle?

Just curious if anyone has solved it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Anyone else having an issue where the lights stay on in the garage? I don't leave my keys in the car and my lights stay on. Won't turn off until I lock the car.

I have an idea that sometimes it thinks someone is still in the car because of the car seat using the buckle?

Just curious if anyone has solved it.
We just noticed the same issue. However we just got our x7 last week. My wife doesn’t lock the car in the garage and I’ve noticed the headlights and tail lights staying on until I lock the car for her.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
Ihdihd
Rep
Drives: X7

We talked about this in another post and I detailed lots of testing I've done - the car does some fancy sensing of which seats are occupied and links those to the doors. When the occupied seat doors are opened (all of them) only then will idrive turn off. Here's the problem, though. If you then open a door that was previously closed (which happens all the time when kids forget something), then the car will say Welcome XYZ and activate iDrive. If you still have your key in the car, I drive (and front /read headlights) will stay on forever. It's extremely frustrating to go into my garage at 1am and find that the headlights have been on since we last drove the car. The fix is to take they key out of the car, which I don't consider a fix. Instead, I will push the volume button down to turn off idrive and make sure mine is the last door I close in the car after everyone leaves.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #15
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Its an interesting idea that the doors are connected to the car thinking there is someone still there. However I honestly don't know if this is true because I drive the car by myself all the time. I park it in my garage. No other door has been opened except for the driver's, and the lights still stay on. We have one car seat that is there all the time with the seatbelt activated. So I always thought this might be it. But it happens so sporadically I just honestly think it's something wrong with Idrive not turning off for some reason.

I did however go around and open and close the car seat side door just to see if it would work and it didn't turn the lights off. I had to lock the door for them to turn off.

I am actually taking my keys out of the car too. They aren't sitting in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
MAPINE
Rep
Drives: X7

I have the same problem. I park my car in my garage and do not take my purse/keys out of the car. I have two children who are constantly going in the car (once parked in the garage) to grab whatever they forgot in the car. Sometimes my radio won’t shut off when I turn off the car. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t seem to figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #17
twesslen
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Anyone figure out why this happens? I've seen it on our X7 a fair number of times. Wondering if it keeps track of which doors are used for exit, for example if both kids get out the passenger door, but were sitting in second row on passenger and driver side, does it use the door opening status to determine if someone is still there? If so, that is lame. I come home after work and find headlights on. Car has been home for hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #18
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
I think it might just light up as you approach it before you can see it do so. I keep my key just inside the house from the garage really close to the car, and sometimes when I approach the car from an open garage door (driveway side) while key is inside it will light up. I think it senses you walking up to it.
You must sneak up on the X7 so it doesn’t sense you.
Appreciate 0