BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bluetooth disconnecting.....

04-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Bluetooth disconnecting.....

Over the past few days I have noticed an issue with my car stereo disconnecting from my iPhone while streaming a pod cast via bluetooth.

The system was fine since pickup from service after the major car repair, but I had it in for service last Monday for an oil change and to 'diagnose the issue with the heads-up display.' The tech screwed up the wires going to my rear view mirror while trying to troubleshoot the brightness of the heads-up display. He ripped the wires out of the connector when trying to unplug the rear view mirror. He then told me that I broke the connector when I plugged in the wiretap for my radar detector. WTF? His idea of diagnosing an electrical problem is to just replace parts.....even it the part they need is not in stock......I hate getting my car serviced.

So I currently have no connection to my home link or auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Back to the topic.

I don't think I was listening to my iPhone on the way home last Monday and as best I can recall I actually had not used that connection for streaming until yesterday. So it may be a new issue created at "Service."

When the disconnect occurs, the phone still reports that it is still connected. I can then see the phone on the list (AM/FM/Sat/Music collection,etc) and when I click on that item it reconnects and plays. (of course it defaults to the FRIGGEN iPhone music app and not the app I was running).

This disconnect happens 3 to 4 times in an 18 minute or so commute time.

What I have tried so far....

1. Rebooted iPhone.
2. Deleted iPhone from car mobile device list.
3. Restarted the iDrive system
4. Reconnected the phone. I have all functions up and running, calendar, phone, music streaming, etc. But disconnect still happened.

Yet to test....

1. Try just using iPhone music app and listen in car for 10 to 15 minutes drive(perhaps the other app is the issue?)
2. Right now as I type this I am listening to the same app via my bluetooth ear buds, testing to see if it is the phone that is the issue. (iPhone Xs, 6 months old)
3. Take it in to the dealer for service - screw that, they'll just smash the iDrive system with a hammer.
4. Not use blue tooth streaming any more.

Electronic Issues are a pain.....

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
stocksure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M5C

Did you recently update your iPhone to iOS 12.2?
2001 E46 M3 | Carbon Black - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksure View Post
Did you recently update your iPhone to iOS 12.2?
Yes, but did not find any postings on issues caused by this (YET) that is why I came here.

My earbuds worked fine for more than an hour on the treadmill. So I don't think it's the bluetooth on the phone (at least to the headset) or the app I was using.

My next test will be long phone call in car to see if BT disconnects during a call.

I read somewhere that BT disconnects can happen if your car is in the background calling in a technical issue with the car, and the FRIGGEN car does not tell you about that call???

Mike

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
stocksure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M5C

It happened because of the iOS update. I'm having a similar issue and had the same problem before in my '16 M3 after an iOS update. Most likely it will be fixed in the next one but that could be a few weeks or months away.

I blame both BMW and Apple. Even after the upgrade the Bluetooth works fine in my 2014 Range Rover.

In the meantime, try this:

Settings, Bluetooth, find the BMW Device, click on "i", deselect "sync contacts."

Let me know if that fixed the issue.
2001 E46 M3 | Carbon Black - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh. Interesting. I listened to steamed music from iPhone native app in car for about 40 minutes. No disconnect. It’s one of those odd electronic gremlins. I suspected the iPhone but needed confirmation from others. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Music from iPhone music app works fine.

Streaming from RushLimbaugh app appears to be a problem.

BlazeTV works fine.

So may be just that app. Dam it Rush, fix your app.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
M5poe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V10 All Black

Chiming in, having the same issue.
iPhone X, since my last update Bluetooth has been buggy.
randomly disconnecting, and not displaying album art (spotify), once in a while a song i'm not listening to is displayed on the idrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

My issue is only with the Rush Limbaugh app. I have contacted them and they are aware of the bug and working on it.

Software updates have become a gamble.

I lost use of my macs with Citrix after an update to the Safari Browser. Ended up rolling back to my older system backup. Glad I had a time machine backup.

Once this issue is resolved, I am turning off the auto updates on my phone apps.

Mike

Appreciate 0