E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some help re: 08 335xi

04-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Need some help re: 08 335xi

I have had plenty of BMWs over the years and am always looking to pick up another...

I happen to come across a 08' 335xi sedan with 150k miles for $2,500.00, the ad said that it needs a computer...

Anyway, I just got back from looking at it and the car is pretty clean, a few small issues, but nothing major.

Regarding the "computer" that needs to be fixed, the owner said that it is misfiring and sometimes won't start. When I viewed it, it turned over, but wouldn't start.

BMW contacted the owner for some recall work and BMW paid to have it shipped 600 miles to the closet dealer. Owner is saying that the dealer told him the ECU is fried and that they would replace it for 1,500.00. (However, I do not have paperwork showing this)

Anyway, I hooked up Carly and got the following engine/ECU codes attached.

I should also note that the battery was dead, as he hasn't been driving it, I had to provide the car with power in order to run the Carly codes.

I realize that some of the codes could be voltage related, but wondering if a DME goes bad, would typically see that many codes at once? Or if having a bad DME would prevent the car from starting? From what I have researched with the Siemans MSD80, the mosfets go out causing that particular cylinder to misfire. In this case, it looks like 4 cylinders are misfiring....??

Anyway, just looking for your thoughts? Current owner said that he replaced 2 fuel pumps in the rear of the car...

Plugs and coils don't bother me or even sending the DME out for repair, but I would prefer not to have to replace the hpfp or the injectors.

Thanks everyone!! (Used to be on here a lot and looking to join back in on the fun)
Attached Images

2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0