BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Took 7 iDrive resets this AM to get he HUD and BC to work

Anyone else having ongoing issues where the BC button no longer works (left stalk top button)? At the same time, my HUD Media Menu won't appear when pressing the menu button on the steering wheel (MPH does display)... it's frozen off as well.

It took 7 iDrive reboots this AM to get the BC button and HUD to come back to life.

I know others are battling sporadic BC button outages - anyone having to reset iDrive this many times to get it to come back online?

BMW's piss poor software at work? Or maybe a hardware issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Anyone else having ongoing issues where the BC button no longer works (left stalk top button)? At the same time, my HUD Media Menu won't appear when pressing the menu button on the steering wheel (MPH does display)... it's frozen off as well.

It took 7 iDrive reboots this AM to get the BC button and HUD to come back to life.

I know others are battling sporadic BC button outages - anyone having to reset iDrive this many times to get it to come back online?

BMW's piss poor software at work? Or maybe a hardware issue?
What firmware version are you on?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
What firmware version are you on?
3/2019.35. Upgraded from 11/2018.43 - which exhibited the exact same issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't had to do that many but I have noticed that the reboots seem to come in clusters. I might not have to reboot for weeks, then the past few days I've had a half dozen. Some that I need to initiate because the instrument cluster has locked up. And twice it's just rebooted itself while I have been driving.

One thing I noticed is that if I press the BC stalk when it's locked up, on reboot my instrument cluster has changed to a different screen. Something is obviously responding to the button press but the cluster is frozen.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
One thing I noticed is that if I press the BC stalk when it's locked up, on reboot my instrument cluster has changed to a different screen. Something is obviously responding to the button press but the cluster is frozen.
Yep - same with the Media Menu on the HUD. Not displayed - but, if I push the buttons, the system is responsive.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
Voltron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Same here. Updated software to 3.2019.30 a week or 2 ago and still happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
WantedAnM3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I am having the same issue as of today. Drove to lunch, everything working fine. Coming home from lunch, navigation instructions are now only sporadically appearing in the HUD or not at all, and the BC button is unresponsive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

I used to have the HUD/BC issues every other time I got in the car. If I was on a long journey (1 hour+), I'd lose all iDrive data from the HUD at some point during the drive. So, no media or Nav info. Just speed and speed limit. Most of the time this coincided with the BC button not changing the info in the tach. Other times the HUD worked just fine but the BC button wouldn't. In both instances a reboot of iDrive fixed them.

I'm going on 10 days since my dealer did an IRAP and software upgrade to 03/2019.35 to activate cornering lights and resolve bugs/issues with BMW engineers. So far I haven't had any of those problems since the upgrade. This is the longest I've gone without those issues. It's weird. I'm just kinda waiting for it to happen, but hasn't yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
I used to have the HUD/BC issues every other time I got in the car. If I was on a long journey (1 hour+), I'd lose all iDrive data from the HUD at some point during the drive. So, no media or Nav info. Just speed and speed limit. Most of the time this coincided with the BC button not changing the info in the tach. Other times the HUD worked just fine but the BC button wouldn't. In both instances a reboot of iDrive fixed them.

I'm going on 10 days since my dealer did an IRAP and software upgrade to 03/2019.35 to activate cornering lights and resolve bugs/issues with BMW engineers. So far I haven't had any of those problems since the upgrade. This is the longest I've gone without those issues. It's weird. I'm just kinda waiting for it to happen, but hasn't yet.
I'm on 03/2019.35 as well and was really hoping that would resolve it... then the BC button froze again. Only took one reboot to fix. Second time it happened, 7 reboots...

Hasn't happened for a week, longest so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #10
desirusso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 SG

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm on 03/2019.35 as well and was really hoping that would resolve it... then the BC button froze again. Only took one reboot to fix. Second time it happened, 7 reboots...

How did you reboot? We just picked up our M50 today and that seems to be the only feature that's not working..we press the BC button and nothing happens.... only shows speed and driving mode. Really don't want to go back to the dealer for this one issue... even though it should have worked from the start.
      04-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirusso View Post
Quote:
Quote:

How did you reboot? We just picked up our M50 today and that seems to be the only feature that's not working..we press the BC button and nothing happens.... only shows speed and driving mode. Really don't want to go back to the dealer for this one issue... even though it should have worked from the start.
Press and hold the volume button for 30sec or so until the entertainment screen goes black, then release. That's the infamous iDrive 7 reset.

We need a sticky with basic reset, update apps, Connected Drive log out/in, etc. modern common BMW software recovery procedures.