E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pessimistic PDC - Can I chnage it

03-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

Question Pessimistic PDC - Can I chnage it

OK so with my 325 SE, my rear PDC goes off with 2 feet or so, and then goes to a continous beep at 9 to 12 inches. This seems rather pessimistic to me, since to park we get down to 4 inches before getting really worried. Especially in London where we tend to bump our cars into car parking spaces

Does anyone know if it is possible to chnage the PDC to be a bit more optimistic. I would want it to go to continous beep at 4 to 6 inches.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

I thought exactly the same, when I back up to the house at night i want to be 2 or 3" away from the wall (same goes for multi stories and street parking too) - so the PDC is already going nuts long before that.

It seems rather pointless because the distance is obvious down to about 9" - you don't need PDC to tell you that. Then when you really need it it doesn't help you at all.

Any sensitivity adjustment available?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Theres no adjustment, but if you have iDrive, the gap is still there to see on the display.

The tone does seem to be a bit more pessimistic than my E46 which went continuous at about 9". I was happy with that ,and could confidently close the gap by a couple more inches if need be.

Don't forget that were talking ultrasonic sensors here. They probably had to build in the safety margin to be sure, and put the ball back in our court. Also bear in mind that the sensors may not see a small obstruction such as a towbar on the other vehicle. All good reasons for pessimism, but I'd have liked more sensitivity as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
BmW_FaNaTiQuE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i Blk/Terra

London what do you mean there is still a gap on the display? how does that work
      03-29-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

FaNaTiQuE:
When PDC is active, you can set the PDC system to display a plan view of the car on the iDrive display. The areas where the car sees an obstuction are shown on the display. The display shows the gap between the displayed car and the obstruction and is continually variable (ie does not move in steps), apparently down to zero (although I wouldn't trust that!). You can still see space between the displayed car and obstruction then the beep goes continuous..

330m: If you park THAT close to walls, be VERY careful opening your boot lid! (If you subsequently find that you need to)
Appreciate 0