E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > starting a new project and need info

04-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
chadjones99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I

Garage List
2007 335 I  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
starting a new project and need info

Ok so as the title says I am starting ( or will soon ) a new project. Right now Ive kind of been into BMWs the past year or so . Right now I have ( and my only experience with BMW ) is a 2008 M5 ( with no issues Ive already done rod bearing ) and it drives great but I really don't use it very much( its very low miles and I want to keep it that way ) , and I have a 2011 328I ( N52) was mine very nice looking but Ive given it to my wife. So I figured I would get a 335I something ( with some power already ) I can use as a daily driver and would like to build it up to somewhere 400+ HP range. So this is where I need a little input .. every car maker has good and bad models and some years of a car or truck that are worse than others or where prone to issues , etc Well I don't know BMW that well to know all the issues with different year 335Is , etc SO N54 vs N55 , I want to start with a good base that I can build the most power out of while keeping it daily driven and more bang for the buck for bolt on mods , What year can you get the most power with tuners , intercoolers , and all the easy stuff. Here's something else's I learned "E85" I put a flex fuel kit on my M5 and it was easy but its not a turbo car so not big gain there and its not port injected( so easy to install ). So what's the deal with port injected E90s ... flex fuel kits wont work and you have to put a full time tune in the car to do this ?? any input from people that have been down this road and what they regret doing.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
ScottElliff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 3 Series 328i

Quote:
Originally posted by chadjones99
Re: starting a new project and need info
https://cheapessaywriter.net/

Ok so as the title says I am starting ( or will soon ) a new project. Right now Ive kind of been into BMWs the past year or so . Right now I have ( and my only experience with BMW ) is a 2008 M5 ( with no issues Ive already done rod bearing ) and it drives great but I really don't use it very much( its very low miles and I want to keep it that way ) , and I have a 2011 328I ( N52) was mine very nice looking but Ive given it to my wife. So I figured I would get a 335I something ( with some power already ) I can use as a daily driver and would like to build it up to somewhere 400+ HP range. So this is where I need a little input .. every car maker has good and bad models and some years of a car or truck that are worse than others or where prone to issues , etc Well I don't know BMW that well to know all the issues with different year 335Is , etc SO N54 vs N55 , I want to start with a good base that I can build the most power out of while keeping it daily driven and more bang for the buck for bolt on mods , What year can you get the most power with tuners , intercoolers , and all the easy stuff. Here's something else's I learned "E85" I put a flex fuel kit on my M5 and it was easy but its not a turbo car so not big gain there and its not port injected( so easy to install ). So what's the deal with port injected E90s ... flex fuel kits wont work and you have to put a full time tune in the car to do this ?? any input from people that have been down this road and what they regret doing.
thanks
Hey,

I think the best options for the tuning will be the 1990 BMW models and earlier. All the models that came out later, due to the powerful integration of various electronic systems and assistants, will be somewhat more peculiar for tuning purposes (although with great desire, this nuance will not be a barrier; and you must be prepared to invest a lot more time and money).

Last edited by ScottElliff; 04-19-2019 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: corrected model
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottElliff View Post
Hey,

I think the best options for the tuning will be the 1990 BMW models and earlier. All the models that came out later, due to the powerful integration of various electronic systems and assistants, will be somewhat more peculiar for tuning purposes (although with great desire, this nuance will not be a barrier; and you must be prepared to invest a lot more time and money).
I am assuming you must be just trolling or hugely misinformed, since this is your first post and because this is terrible information... Not to mention this is an e9X specific forum

New BMW's due to turbos and all the added electronics are much easier to tune, it just takes an understanding of the computers that it uses. In fact for well under $1000 you can get tuning software and a tablet to squeeze a lot out of the cars... way more than any of my pre 1990 or even pre 2000.

Now for the OP. The 335 route is a good one for a project, just do a little research. the N54 is about the least reliable, most problematic engine BMW made except for the S85 (it seems you have an affinity ) That being said, it is not overly complicated and if you are the DIY type its actually pretty affordable to make a nice (fast) project. If you are not a DIY person, just be ready to spend what the car is worth in labor and parts with a local Indy or find a really well kept and maintained car to use as a starting point.
Appreciate 0