BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
WantedAnM3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Air Suspension Uneven

Is anyone with air suspension optioned able to check if their ride height is even across both the left and right hand sides?

I’ve noticed in a couple of occasions that the drivers (right side in Oz) sits lower visually when viewed from the rear. This morning I thought I’d check and see if it’s just an optical illusion, and noted that I could easily fit a roll of paper towel with half an inch to spare between the tire and wheel arch on the left side, but the roll wouldn’t quite fit on the right side. I note this was in my garage on a level surface with no load in the car.

Is this just a quirk of air suspension in that it can sit uneven and levels out while driving, or do I have a mechanical issue after just a few weeks?

A quick google search revealed similar issues with other brands, and mixed responses over whether its normal or not. I’d be interested to see if other G05 owners are seeing a similar disparity from side to side.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

This is not right in my current/past air suspension ownership

The idea behind the suspension is to keep the car level. You would notice a difference in wheel well spacing if the car was not on a level surface. I have owned several MB's and currently a Porsche with the air suspension and this does not happen while the cars are sitting in the garage. I did have a GL where this did happen and there was a problem the MB Airmatic valves/bags. Make an appointment and get it checked out.
Good Luck.
Appreciate 0