E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 halo lights intermittently functioning

04-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Vidicus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
E90 halo lights intermittently functioning

Hey everyone, I've been having an issue with my headlights recently. Very long story with this BMW, but basically it was in a high-speed collision with a very unlucky 6 point buck, which surprisingly did not damage it beyond repair. Did a lot of front end work, but it was all done correctly and I'm fairly happy with the end results.

Anyway, while I was installing the aftermarket headlights post-accident (will provide pictures of the headlights, sorry the quality's kinda crappy) they worked great! All the lights turned on, and I was very happy with the result. Fast forward a little, the final component I installed on the car post-accident was the alternator.

After installing the alternator and starting my baby up, I noticed that specifically, the halo lights would turn off and on. Every other light works, just not the halos. I went ahead and did some basic testing (nothing with a multimeter, just trying to figure out what triggered them to turn on and off) and found a couple of things.

When the car is in the on position, but not turned on, the halos will illuminate as they should. If I turn the car over and keep it in park, they'll still stay on. However, once I start driving (maybe >30 seconds) I get codes for both sets of halo lights on both sides.

Initially, I figured the bulbs may have been bad. Still unsure if they are (wanted to come see if anyone could give me ideas before I start messing with the wiring), but the lights will turn on and off constantly. Maybe once every minute or two. It's getting really annoying seeing the code light up on my dash and hearing the telltale dinging every two seconds. Also tired of being honked at when I drive at night.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Joe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0