BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum His & Hers Keys & Profiles - Should I Take The Plunge Or Not Bother?

04-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

His & Hers Keys & Profiles - Should I Take The Plunge Or Not Bother?

So I've had 6 or 7 BMW's that had the two-key dual profile option and I've never taken advantage of it, the wife and I share one key, I put the other away for emergencies only, and that's that.

Well with the X7 it's really going to be a 50/50 time split and with all of its tech goodness it seems like it's time to give it a go.

For those of you who have utilized the two-key two-profile scenario, can you share its strengths? It's weaknesses? Have I been missing anything? Is there something in iDrive 7 that makes it a must-have feature after all these years of disregarding it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
So I've had 6 or 7 BMW's that had the two-key dual profile option and I've never taken advantage of it, the wife and I share one key, I put the other away for emergencies only, and that's that.

Well with the X7 it's really going to be a 50/50 time split and with all of its tech goodness it seems like it's time to give it a go.

For those of you who have utilized the two-key two-profile scenario, can you share its strengths? It's weaknesses? Have I been missing anything? Is there something in iDrive 7 that makes it a must-have feature after all these years of disregarding it?

Thanks.
Yes do it! Here's what I did.

Wife Key. She's seat position 1. I'm seat position 2 if I use her key.

The reverse with my key.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      04-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

The reverse with my key.
Forgive me, but that's a bit underwhelming considering the 1 and 2 memory keys do the same thing, just requires me to remember I'm #2 and she's #1.

I was thinking using two profiles and two keys means that when my wife gets into the car *poof* the X7 knows its her and adjusts the seats and mirrors without hitting a button, the 1-8 presets become her set, the favorite radio stations become hers, temperature, ambient lighting color, home screen layout, etc. etc.

Does it work that way? Or is it nothing close to that level of wireless/automated personalization?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

The reverse with my key.
Forgive me, but that's a bit underwhelming considering the 1 and 2 memory keys do the same thing, just requires me to remember I'm #2 and she's #1.

I was thinking using two profiles and two keys means that when my wife gets into the car *poof* the X7 knows its her and adjusts the seats and mirrors without hitting a button, the 1-8 presets become her set, the favorite radio stations become hers, temperature, ambient lighting color, home screen layout, etc. etc.

Does it work that way? Or is it nothing close to that level of wireless/automated personalization?
Yes it does that. I just set the seat 2 in case I use her keys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Works like that with my wife's F25 X3. Nice for radio and function presets.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
You're missing out. We've been using that feature since my E39 (5-Series) and her E53 (X5). I only wish we could use the same key across multiple cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:

Isn't it possible exactly the way you said here?! I think it should be. I believe it just needs an assignment of the other Key Fob to your partner and let the partner finish the Profile Wizard in the car?!

You would probably need to start by clicking on Add a New User in the Profile area of the car.

I will check my other FOB tomorrow and give you more detail.

The problem here is that I get very overconfident and start using things without much paying attention to Manual reading.

Edit: Here is a video that I found that might be of interest. It does not talk about adding additional users but I beleive you can use the SAME LOGIN info of the Connected iDrive Account and then assign another user name and Key Fob to that Driver.

Like I said, I will try that and post my outcome here later.

Last edited by FreddyBMW; 04-23-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

Yup, works just like that. I can't think of any downsides. Memory keys are all positives, in my book.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:

Thanks.
Key card for back up and separate profile for each fob💯
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      04-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

We have a Tesla S and both have separate users that are connected to our individual fobs. The car isn't great at knowing which fob to use if we are both getting into the car at the same time. Especially if you have auto lock off.

I think I remember reading somewhere in this forum that the x7 can sense who is getting closer to the drivers side and picks theirs to use first.

Anyone want to comment on that?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
We have a Tesla S and both have separate users that are connected to our individual fobs. The car isn't great at knowing which fob to use if we are both getting into the car at the same time. Especially if you have auto lock off.

I think I remember reading somewhere in this forum that the x7 can sense who is getting closer to the drivers side and picks theirs to use first.

Anyone want to comment on that?
Correct, the X7 sense which FOB is getting in the drivers side of the car. So if my wife has her FOB in her purse and gets in the passenger side first, the car selects her profile initially but when I get in the drivers side it re-selects my profile and resets the seats, mirrors, and everything else the profile restores. But both you and your spouse need to set up a profile and pair it to the correct FOB. The video above describes exactly how you set up profiles.
Appreciate 2
VTENGR1052.50
      04-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Correct, the X7 sense which FOB is getting in the drivers side of the car. So if my wife has her FOB in her purse and gets in the passenger side first, the car selects her profile initially but when I get in the drivers side it re-selects my profile and resets the seats, mirrors, and everything else the profile restores. But both you and your spouse need to set up a profile and pair it to the correct FOB. The video above describes exactly how you set up profiles.
I was hoping it worked like this - my wife keeps her key in her purse 100% of the time. So we often are int he car with both FOBs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

One thing to consider if leaving a FOB in the car all of time, the new FOB's use NFC to communicate with the X7 and leaving it in the car could result in a quicker battery drain of the FOB.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

[QUOTE=LittleJoe;24696513]One thing to consider if leaving a FOB in the car all of time, the new FOB's use NFC to communicate with the X7 and leaving it in the car could result in a quicker battery drain of the FOB.[/QUOTE

Wonder if the FOB works similar to the X5 fob - on that forum, it was said the FOB will stop transmitting if it sits still for a certain amount of time. So its not continuously transmitting NFC signals.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Isn't it possible exactly the way you said here?! I think it should be. I believe it just needs an assignment of the other Key Fob to your partner and let the partner finish the Profile Wizard in the car?!

You would probably need to start by clicking on Add a New User in the Profile area of the car.

I will check my other FOB tomorrow and give you more detail.

The problem here is that I get very overconfident and start using things without much paying attention to Manual reading.

Edit: Here is a video that I found that might be of interest. It does not talk about adding additional users but I beleive you can use the SAME LOGIN info of the Connected iDrive Account and then assign another user name and Key Fob to that Driver.

Like I said, I will try that and post my outcome here later.
Freddy, I gave this a go. This is how I have it set up. We have two vehicles.

Vehicle One: X5
Primary Driver and Connected Drive Subscriber: Wife
First Driver Profile Created: In Her Name, and Using Her Login to Connected Drive
Second Driver Profile Created: My name, Using My Login to Connected Drive

Vehicle Two: X7
Primary Driver and Connected Drive Subscriber: Me
First Driver Profile Created: In My Name, and Using My Login to Connected Drive
Second Driver Profile Created: Wife, Using Her Login to Connected Drive

Once that is done, Driver Recognition needs to be resolved. For my wife, I assigned one x5 key to her driver profile, and also one X7 key to her profile. If she enters either car, to choose her profile she just needs to select it from the list of driver profiles. In the absence of having the key on her, or if she has one of my keys in her purse, she needs to enter a 4 digit code to select and switch over to her profile.

Basically the same set up for me using the other keys. If I have them on me, I can choose my profile without a 4 digit code. If I do not have the keys, I need my 4 digit code to switch over to my profile.

One thing this setup does not do: Switch over to the profile associated with a given key if the vehicle was last driven by someone else. I don't know how to resolve that, so this is a decent set up but not optimal. Maybe I'm missing something, Pipe?

Last edited by ppagiga; 04-26-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #16
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Question:

Do I need to set up a BMW userid and password in my wife’s name in order for my wife to use Key 2 or can she share my userid and password?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #17
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Question:

Do I need to set up a BMW userid and password in my wife’s name in order for my wife to use Key 2 or can she share my userid and password?
she can share your user id. the benefit of two BMW logins (one specific to each driver) is, as i understand it, the following:

1) it gives each driver the ability to set driver specific vehicle settings beyond just seats and mirrors. driver assistance intervention levels, for example; whether or not the mirrors fold when you lock the car, etc.

2) it unlocks full connected drive functionality. if i have a login that i use for my connected drive app on my iPhone, and that same login is associated with my driver profile on the vehicle and is logged into the vehicle, i can use all connected drive functionality. i can send addresses to the vehicle from my phone, check vehicle status, climatize, etc.

however if my wife is logged into the vehicle with her BMW login, and i try using connected drive from my iPhone by sending an address for example, i won't be able to send that address.

i believe that is roughly the benefit of one vs the other
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1322.50
      04-27-2019, 06:10 AM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
she can share your user id. the benefit of two BMW logins (one specific to each driver) is, as i understand it, the following:

1) it gives each driver the ability to set driver specific vehicle settings beyond just seats and mirrors. driver assistance intervention levels, for example; whether or not the mirrors fold when you lock the car, etc.

2) it unlocks full connected drive functionality. if i have a login that i use for my connected drive app on my iPhone, and that same login is associated with my driver profile on the vehicle and is logged into the vehicle, i can use all connected drive functionality. i can send addresses to the vehicle from my phone, check vehicle status, climatize, etc.

however if my wife is logged into the vehicle with her BMW login, and i try using connected drive from my iPhone by sending an address for example, i won't be able to send that address.

i believe that is roughly the benefit of one vs the other

And to add to this post, you can pair your profile to your FOB and your wife's profile to her FOB so when either of you approach the car, your personal profile will be automatically activated. BMW's NFC system is very accurate when it comes to the location of each FOB.

For example, your wife has her FOB in hand and approaches the passenger side of your X7 while you're still in the house. The X7 unlocks and selects her profile. A few minutes later you approach the drivers side with your FOB in hand, the X7 (already unlocked) reselects your profile since you are at the drivers door. Very well implemented.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #19
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
And to add to this post, you can pair your profile to your FOB and your wife's profile to her FOB so when either of you approach the car, your personal profile will be automatically activated. BMW's NFC system is very accurate when it comes to the location of each FOB.

For example, your wife has her FOB in hand and approaches the passenger side of your X7 while you're still in the house. The X7 unlocks and selects her profile. A few minutes later you approach the drivers side with your FOB in hand, the X7 (already unlocked) reselects your profile since you are at the drivers door. Very well implemented.
I tried this yesterday for the first time and the setting was defaulting to the last driver profiled used. I’ll see if it’s behaving as you’ve described today
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #20
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I just tested several scenarios and it functioned as I described above but of course I paired each profile to the appropriate FOB.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just tested several scenarios and it functioned as I described above but of course I paired each profile to the appropriate FOB.
Maybe I had both keys his and hers in too close a proximity to the vehicle at the same time
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #22
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Maybe I had both keys his and hers in too close a proximity to the vehicle at the same time
That could be it, try repairing your fob to your profile with your wife's fob still in the house, a long way from the X7. Then do the same with her profile and her fob.
Appreciate 0