Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Aftermarket rim strength?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Aftermarket rim strength?

Thanks to the crappy Toronto road condition I got my tire and rim wasted, while I need to replace 3 tires and 1 rims, it痴 just better to sell it and go to 18s or even 17s.
Maybe everyone already know this but I just would like to share that 19 summers ride BETTER than run-flat 17s.
I wonder how strong the aftermarket is compare to OEM?
Of course I知 talking about brand name, high quality aftermarket rims here, and preferably lightweight as well. I知 not sure this is true or not, but some tells me that forged BBS are not as strong as OEM rims because OEM rims have to take a lot of abuse. Well, as you see I did bend OEM 19 rims (style 225M), but only slightly, and the pothole is huge, so I have no clue if the OEM is really that strong, many people are comparing OEM vs cheap replicas and in that case of course the OEM is stronger.
I値l go with a staggered setup, front 225-235, rear 255 (current 265 is rubbing on the inside), it just handles much better. My choices are limited to OEM staggered 18 (no staggered 17 I believe), aftermarket 18 or 17, if it clears 335i brakes, lightweight seems better but my big concern is the strength.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

This is a great question. Many assume OEM wheels are the end-all be-all of quality and strength. While OEM wheel quality is very consistent, they are always susceptible to bending if they take a hard enough impact in the right spot, regardless of manufacturing process (cast, flow-formed, forged, etc).

The best thing you can do is be an informed buyer. Do research on any aftermarket wheel company you're considering. Ask what certifications their wheels have, such as VIA, TワV, etc, and ask them to prove it by showing their certificates or registration numbers. Look into load ratings as well, as these are the prime indicator of a wheel's strength.

Lastly, diameter makes a big difference since it directly effects how much cushion (tire sidewall) is between your wheels and the road. 19" wheels have very little protection while 17s will have much more.

Hope this helps!
--Dylan
      04-28-2019, 02:08 AM   #3
stephanporsche
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Bent 19" Niche

Most aftermarket wheels are softer unless they are an expenses mono-block, I installed 19" Niche wheels and hit only a small pothole once and bent the wheel, I didn't lose air pressure but had to replace it.
BMW E90 328i LCI
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuotong View Post
Thanks to the crappy Toronto road condition I got my tire and rim wasted, while I need to replace 3 tires and 1 rims, it痴 just better to sell it and go to 18s or even 17s.
Maybe everyone already know this but I just would like to share that 19 summers ride BETTER than run-flat 17s.
I wonder how strong the aftermarket is compare to OEM?
Of course I知 talking about brand name, high quality aftermarket rims here, and preferably lightweight as well. I知 not sure this is true or not, but some tells me that forged BBS are not as strong as OEM rims because OEM rims have to take a lot of abuse. Well, as you see I did bend OEM 19 rims (style 225M), but only slightly, and the pothole is huge, so I have no clue if the OEM is really that strong, many people are comparing OEM vs cheap replicas and in that case of course the OEM is stronger.
I値l go with a staggered setup, front 225-235, rear 255 (current 265 is rubbing on the inside), it just handles much better. My choices are limited to OEM staggered 18 (no staggered 17 I believe), aftermarket 18 or 17, if it clears 335i brakes, lightweight seems better but my big concern is the strength.
Thanks in advance.
Remember that a lot of "OEM" wheels are actually made by aftermarket manufacturers like BBS, Borbet, etc etc

I had 18" style 193M wheels and bent 3.

I switched to 18" apex ARC8 and they haven't bent. I actually swerved to avoid an accident a few months ago and had to hop a curb and (knock on wood) i dont think they even bent doing that.

Look for companies that are going to light/strength as much as style.
maxnix205.00
      04-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It's really hot or miss. Not all OEM wheels are super strong or weak. Same for "brand name" aftermarket. You pretty much have to research and see which brand/model tends to be better/worse. For instance, style 296 on the Z4s have been terrible and there's a class action settlement against BMW because of them. At the same time, style 513M and 437M are forged and known to be light and strong. Generally speaking, cast wheels tend to be heavy and weak, forged light and strong, and flow forged(there's other descriptions of the same process) lie somewhere in between.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Toronto streets eat wheels! My brother inlaw broke 3 different 19" wheels (different brands) over 3 years on his e93. I can't tell you through brands though and I'm sure this plays a factor. His girlfriend broke a 17" oem wheel on her Mini. He now runs Apex arc 8 in 19" wrapped in Indy 500 and so far (2 summers) hasn't dented or broken one.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 01:55 AM   #7
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Toronto streets eat wheels! My brother inlaw broke 3 different 19" wheels (different brands) over 3 years on his e93. I can't tell you through brands though and I'm sure this plays a factor. His girlfriend broke a 17" oem wheel on her Mini. He now runs Apex arc 8 in 19" wrapped in Indy 500 and so far (2 summers) hasn't dented or broken one.
based on the three 19" rims damaged and apex rims and Indy 500, I think...
I think I just bought your brothers 19" rims😂
I want the tire only but he had them on the tire, so this morning I bring them to Costco to swap them to my style 225M. I realized it was hard to source used 18 rims anyways so I would keep my 19 set for now as it would be cheaper and less work to do. Still in the process of claim, but I will sue the city if they deny it. New wheels is $917 CAD each I can't just stand to let it go like this!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:56 AM   #8
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Ah that's probably not your brother, the wheel I bought is 3 damaged OEM wheels. But you know we all reflect how bad the road is.
Appreciate 0