E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi transmission slipping

04-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
sj95
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

328xi transmission slipping

Hello my car wouldn’t go into reverse so I figured out that the gear selector valve was broken so we dropped the pan switched out the valve. To switch out the selector valve you have to loosen the valve body. Long story short is the transmission is slipping and hesitating and ect. The car has 132xxx on the dash. Another thing is when I had the car up on the lift after installing the new selector valve and filter we let the car run for about a minute or two and I was told to put the car in reverse and let off the break of course the wheels moved but the transmission made a loud grinding noise. So I don’t know if the transmission isn’t functioning properly because of the grinding of the gears or the valve body gaskets just need to be replaced. I did eventually get a trans code but it went away after I turned off the car. I honestly don’t know if the gears are ruined or If the valve body was just pulled down to much and the seals were ruined. I’ve also put about 50 miles on the car since thanks and advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Since you had the valve body out why not repair it then while it's out. There are few seals you could change to see if there would be improvement.

It was also unwise to run the gears with the wheels turning in the air without any load given just servicing the transmission. Without physical inspection to friction clutches etc, there's not much to go off of to tell if anything physical is bad.

I'm going through a similar issue and started doing a rebuild of the valve body so far. My case the car would reverse but would not move forward, only after increased revs for up to a minute or so, it would finally "grab" and it would drive normally after that. The valve body had shrunken check balls (one got stuck to the separator plate), some valves have scaring etc. I'm replacing with a Sonnax build kit.
      04-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
sj95
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

The transmission fluid was low you have to add the fluid while the car is running I originally put 3 quarts in with engine running it took another 4 1/2.. Now it’s shifting better than ever !!! I Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Our transmissions are very sensitive to incorrect transmission fluid levels. Best to follow the fill procedure exactly.
Appreciate 0