E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 320d Turbo vanes seized within few days??

04-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Aeroelastic1
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

E91 320d Turbo vanes seized within few days??

Hi all,

My car is a 2007 320d M47 with the Mitsubishi turbo, the one with an electronic actuator. Long story short, replaced my old turbo with a Reconditioned one, it worked for about 100miles then no boost at all. I was puzzled, scan code pointed to Actuator fault. the actuator was clicking everytime I unlocked the car, click for 12 times then buzz for another 10 seconds or so.

I have replaced MAP sensor thinking that the actuator might be getting wrong signal the hence clicking. But no different, still no boost. My mechanic did repair part of the wiring to the actuator as his scan code shows excessive voltage to the actuator, but this made no difference to the clicking actuator.

After going around checking cables, MAF etc, we went back to the actuator. We realised that as soon as the actuator arm is taken off the top of the actuator bell house, the clicking immediately stopped. This pointed to one thing, seized turbo vanes. So we tried to move the actuator arm by hand and see if it moved, NO, it was almost solid.

We were puzzled by this, what will cause it to seize so quickly? Will the clicking and buzzing actually adjusted some of the mechanism within the vanes to stop it from moving? I know some other Turbo brands vanes has this threaded adjuster bolt for the vanes, which has a nut at the end to limit the vanes travel, has mine been self adjusting due to the buzzing if mine has one? Anyone knows how the internal mechanism vanes is like for the Mitsubishi turbo?

I am a bit lost now..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
ukw
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320d eff. dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroelastic1 View Post
Hi all,

My car is a 2007 320d M47 with the Mitsubishi turbo, the one with an electronic actuator. Long story short, replaced my old turbo with a Reconditioned one, it worked for about 100miles then no boost at all. I was puzzled, scan code pointed to Actuator fault. the actuator was clicking everytime I unlocked the car, click for 12 times then buzz for another 10 seconds or so.

I have replaced MAP sensor thinking that the actuator might be getting wrong signal the hence clicking. But no different, still no boost. My mechanic did repair part of the wiring to the actuator as his scan code shows excessive voltage to the actuator, but this made no difference to the clicking actuator.

After going around checking cables, MAF etc, we went back to the actuator. We realised that as soon as the actuator arm is taken off the top of the actuator bell house, the clicking immediately stopped. This pointed to one thing, seized turbo vanes. So we tried to move the actuator arm by hand and see if it moved, NO, it was almost solid.

We were puzzled by this, what will cause it to seize so quickly? Will the clicking and buzzing actually adjusted some of the mechanism within the vanes to stop it from moving? I know some other Turbo brands vanes has this threaded adjuster bolt for the vanes, which has a nut at the end to limit the vanes travel, has mine been self adjusting due to the buzzing if mine has one? Anyone knows how the internal mechanism vanes is like for the Mitsubishi turbo?

I am a bit lost now..
Hello,
Have you managed to fix it? I have the same problem as you.
Thanks
Appreciate 0