BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Details for detailing

04-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
rickyr17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Vert (G14)

Garage List
Details for detailing

This is my 3rd Z4. I've had a 2003 and 2009. My first couple weeks I've noticed something very subtle about the 2019 that really makes it stand out vs the other two. I love doing my own detailing. I think it gives me a great bond with the car. I know every crease and crevice. You can tell that they really paid attention to the details for detailing.

I say this because this car doesn't have a lot of rubber or plastic trim. This matters for detailing because when I polish and wax I used blue painter's tape to cover all the trim so the polish and wax wouldn't get on it. And even then I'd have to pay special attention to the trim to make it look black. As everyone is aware, black trim tends to turn grey over time. The trim on the doors between the door and window is a painted strip. The mirrors are fully encased in painted surfaces. There is a slight amount of rubber/plastic trim surrounding the area where the mirror is mounted but that's minimal. The grill is painted. They even moved the windshield fluid nozzles from the hood to wipers. Those were always a pain on my last cars. Their presence on the hood took away from the fluid motion of polishing/waxing. This car allows long smooth strokes without interruption.

I think all of those painted surfaces instead of plastic/rubber trim help the overall look of the car. It gives it a much higher quality look. And it helps with the fluidity. Having a different texture with plastic or rubber trim breaks up the flow. It's a subtle difference but I think it really helps to make it stand out.
Appreciate 1