Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 20" Alloys on my SE E93

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
20" Alloys on my SE E93

Hi All,

First post here! I'm looking at getting some alloys for my E93 325i SE 2007. I was going to get lowering springs but have decided because of ride quality and general inconvenience they can cause, I have already bottomed out going into my flat car park and my car is standard height, that I will try and get some alloys that fill the arch as best as possible. I have seen some people do it and think it may work.

What I'm looking at is a set of 20" 8.5 front, 9.5 rear, I think ET35 both front and rear, although maybe the rear ET is lower/higher as I'm going for a set with a concave in the rear. I want to know if you guys think this will fill the arch mostly, which tyre sizes I should get to do this, or if I will still be left with quite a big gap. I have 18" on there at the moment with tyres that have a 40 profile, with still around 4cm gap, however I have seen others without lowered cars (msport standard) that have used 20s and they seem to fill very well.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Doesn’t matter what size alloys you get, the rolling circumference is the same. In other words, the arch gap will stay the same.

If you fit bigger tyres to fill the arch gap, your speedo will be out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
Doesn’t matter what size alloys you get, the rolling circumference is the same. In other words, the arch gap will stay the same.

If you fit bigger tyres to fill the arch gap, your speedo will be out.
Not quite. Your speedo is already off unless you coded for true speed. With that said, if the OP is concerned about ride quality from lowering springs, he should also be by going to 20" wheels and the low profile tires that will take to fit. Not to mention that most will agree 20" wheels on an E9x is too big. Looks a little goofy. He's also not going to gain anything in fender gap reduction since he already has 40 series tires...unless those are some super narrow 40 series tires.

235 or 245/35/19 front and 265 or 275/30/19 rear is about the biggest you can go if you want no rubbing without other mods like fender rolling and camber. Even with those sizes you have to be careful while choosing wheel width and offset.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

That’s a hell of a first post, you want to lower it and put 20” wheels on it. I would start with basic maintenance and make sure you’re prepared for possible issues like cooling system or other things that may arise. If you still want to proceed then do springs, shocks and struts to get the ride height done. Once you have that done, I imagine that a 19” setup will give you the desired performance and esthetic. I cannot imagine how a 20” setup would ride on average road let alone speed bumps and potholes.