E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 2012 power seats not working

04-30-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
josehf34
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2012

E90 2012 power seats not working

My E90 2012 finally came back to live after cleaning DME and BCM connectors (the car was partially flooded) but my power seats are not working

Already checked fuses, wires and don't see anything out of place, under seats I don't see anything that could tell me that motors could be affected by flood (no rust, no dirt). The driver seat does "clicks" each time I try to move one of the seat adjustments, the passenger seat doesn't do anything at all.

I was thinking about unplugging the under seat connector and clean it just in case but I read that this could trigger the Airbag light , is it true?

Also, what else can I check? where are the relays for the power seats?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
josehf34
Rep

No one with ideas?

I'm getting crazy with this issue, both front seats are dead, any adjustments works, only driver side has the memory controller but I'm not sure if the module could be dead because the memory setting works (if I push M it lights) and I'm not sure if the driver side module went bad can also broke the passenger side module (this seat doesn't have module or memory)

Last edited by josehf34; 05-09-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
josehf34
Rep

I was able to fix my problem, so if anybody has this kind of issue and have tried everything without luck, continue reading:

In my case my car was flooded so anything could be expected, I started checking if the seats memory module still worked so with ignition ON and engine not running I pushed the letter M, if it lights then the module could still be alive, if not then is almost ready for the trash can.

Unplug one of the motor connectors and with a voltmeter check if there's voltage when someone else action the seat controllers switch. Try one position and then the opposite, on both cases 12V are expected and polarity should invert depending on how the switch is moved.

After verifying that you have voltage you have almost sorted out any module problem and you have to be focused on the motors itself. Remove the faulty motor or at least one of them and with the voltmeter try to check the resistance putting the voltmeter terminals in the main connector male terminals, you should expect something like > 2k ohms, if you have less than that means the motor winding is wear out, but it still can work, if the result is pretty low or zero then the motor is gone.

Remove the faulty motors and start spraying penetrating oil at front and back of the motor, then start hammering really carefully and soft the motor housing, after one minute of hammering put 12V directly from a power source (example battery), and continue hammering until the motor starts spinning freely. Leave it spinning during 3 - 5 minutes adding penetrating oil each 30 seconds, repeat for each motor and you should be ready to go.

I have to specify this can be helpful on a previously healthy motor, I'm not sure how would this work on a worn out motor but in theory it should work too
Appreciate 0