E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help, How to install Dashcam

05-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
moderat0r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 323i sedan

Exclamation Please help, How to install Dashcam

Hello,
I want to install this Dashcam but it requires to be connected to cigarette lighter charger,

now there are 2 problems with it if i do that:

1. Wire is coming in below Armrest LID and making it tight to lock
2. Wire is little shorter if i run it all the way from windshield>side door>bottom>armrest>cigarette lighter>chargerUSB port.

Please advise upon

1 If I can get I 5v supply from fusebox which turns ON when I put in car keys in ignition.

2. Where can I find this cigarette lighter connection/fuse, so I can try connecting cigarette lighter charger directly to that point in fuse box etc. rather than running dashcam wire all the way to armrest.

3 Any better way to install this dashcam?

Thank you for reading.

05-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Use a hardwire kit and a fuse tap to wire the camera to the 12v socket fuse
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
moderat0r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Use a hardwire kit and a fuse tap to wire the camera to the 12v socket fuse
thanks a lot, but how do I find that which side of fuse I have to hardware? will it be left side or the right side?

Regards
      05-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
badmanners
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Using a test light, pull the fuse out with the ignition on and see which of the terminals the fuse sits in has power on it.
Cheers, badmanners.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

You have two other options (assuming you don't want to switch to fuse power):

1) I've run another type of device down inside the dash and then routed and tucked it under the center trim along the seat. If you remove the rubber textured/grip pad next to the cigarette power, you can pop the USB or Cigarette power cable out from there and into the port (no dealing with cable outside the armrest). Looks clean and you could cut it cleaner.

2) Most people also have a hidden cigarette lighter power below the glove compartment and to the left. You won't usually see it by just looking, but if you get to floor level it's pretty evident. You could attach it there for a cleaner and shorter route.

3) (previously mentioned) Buy a fuse-tap kit and use the reference that attached to the backside of your glovebox you have to open it up all the way to see it. Usually there's a fuse that's associated with the homelink or something similar - I think the symbol looked like a house (I could be wrong).

Good luck -- but honestly, you have a lot of options.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Depending on how good your wiring skills are, you'll need at least an add-a-fuse. That will enable you to use one of the fuse box slots but you'll have to cut your charging cable and wire it to the add-a-fuse.

If you dont feel like cutting into the charging cable, you can get one of these to wire to the add-a-fuse: cigarette lighter outlet

The fuse box is located behind the glove box. There is a removable panel on the back of the glove box that grants you access to the fuse box. Easiest way to determine which fuse to use is by using a multi-meter to determine which fuses are hot only when the ignition is on. If you dont know how to do that, you can guess pretty easily which fuses are hot only when the ignition is on by looking at the fuse box diagram. This diagram should be on the back of the access panel you remove from the glove box. It should look something like this: diagram

Some of the images are self explanatory, so it should be too hard to fine one that will work for you. OBD, seat heaters, low/high beams, window defroster, TPMS should suit you needs and are easily identified on the diagram. Make sure to choose the appropriate amperage rating fuse though (5A should be sufficient).

I saw a few DIY's on this topic in the past, if I can find them I'll link them here.

I've been running a setup like this for a while now without any issues (I'm tapped into an always hot fuse though for motion detection to work while I'm away).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Here are two link's I've found after a few minutes of googling. Not the one's I saw in the past but all the basics are here. One of these is for a radar detector but the same method applies to the dash cam install:

http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWe90R...stallation.htm

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484265
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
moderat0r
Private First Class
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Here are two link's I've found after a few minutes of googling. Not the one's I saw in the past but all the basics are here. One of these is for a radar detector but the same method applies to the dash cam install:

hi thx for the links but I looking through the thread, I am not sure if I can hardware like those people.Though, I found fuse box and 20A fuse associated with Cigarette lighter but I also found a cigarette lighter socket below glovebox as mentioned by bluewater328 and thats where I am going to install this dashcam and run wires neatly.

thanks and cheers
      05-05-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderat0r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post

hi thx for the links but I looking through the thread, I am not sure if I can hardware like those people.Though, I found fuse box and 20A fuse associated with Cigarette lighter but I also found a cigarette lighter socket below glovebox as mentioned by bluewater328 and thats where I am going to install this dashcam and run wires neatly.

thanks and cheers
Anyone can hardwire like those people, honestly. But yes, that cigarette lighter socket under the glove box is an easy solution to power the dash camera without much fuss.
Appreciate 0