E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Window problem - stuck

05-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
janpavlik
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i

Window problem - stuck

Hi guys, I have a problem with my rear left window in E90 prelci. It stucks fully pulled down occasionally and when I try to get it up it moves like 1cm up and goes back down. I have to stop the engine, take off key, insert key and then it works. Sometimes I have to do it twice or three times. No error in ISTA or INPA found. Window works fine if I dont take it fully down.
I found that it always stucks if I open the window while driving but usually does not stuck if I open it while not moving.

Any idea what could cause it?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Needs a new window regulator. Unfortunately many have replaced theirs with new ones only for it to fail again.

Mine fits the same exact criteria as yours. It's not a big deal once you get used to stopping the window before it goes all the way down (even a few millimeters above the weatherstripping is fine). Just warn any passengers in that seat
      05-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
janpavlik
Rep

Thanks for advice. Can I test it somehow with ista? To be 100% sure I replace right part. It costs almost nothing but the work. Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Not sure about testing in ISTA, but I’d warn you not to reinitialize the windows or you may lose the one-touch up/down ability. Not only that, but you’ll end up with a window that moves only a few inches before you’ll need to release the window switch and pull/press it again.

I made this mistake. Eventually I was able to re-learn the correct end stops for the anti-trap to function correctly, and by extension, allow for use of one-touch functionality. But it took a ton of d*cking around.

As Valant has said: the issue is extremely common and well documented. Don’t think there’s much that can be done to finesse it into working as it should.
      05-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Not sure about testing in ISTA, but I’d warn you not to reinitialize the windows or you may lose the one-touch up/down ability. Not only that, but you’ll end up with a window that moves only a few inches before you’ll need to release the window switch and pull/press it again.

I made this mistake. Eventually I was able to re-learn the correct end stops for the anti-trap to function correctly, and by extension, allow for use of one-touch functionality. But it took a ton of d*cking around.

As Valant has said: the issue is extremely common and well documented. Don’t think there’s much that can be done to finesse it into working as it should.
I’m there with the same mistake. Do you recall what you had to do to get it to relearn the end points???
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
macheff03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I would try not to use that window until fixed either- I would think that if the regulator broke all the way the window wouldn't be able to go up/down
      05-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janpavlik View Post
Hi guys, I have a problem with my rear left window in E90 prelci. It stucks fully pulled down occasionally and when I try to get it up it moves like 1cm up and goes back down. I have to stop the engine, take off key, insert key and then it works. Sometimes I have to do it twice or three times. No error in ISTA or INPA found. Window works fine if I dont take it fully down.
I found that it always stucks if I open the window while driving but usually does not stuck if I open it while not moving.

Window regulator is bad. ISTA D can put it up until you get a new one. Dorman is the cheapest/ somewhat reliable brand that can be bought at the local autozone or Oreilly's etc. I have replaced 3/4 of mine. I think the motor in the passages rear is probably bad or unprogramable anymore. I don't use it, so I just put the child lock button on it.

Window regulators are very common on e90's. Especially in the rear.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by janpavlik View Post

Window regulator is bad. ISTA D can put it up until you get a new one. Dorman is the cheapest/ somewhat reliable brand that can be bought at the local autozone or Oreilly's etc. I have replaced 3/4 of mine. I think the motor in the passages rear is probably bad or unprogramable anymore. I don't use it, so I just put the child lock button on it.

Window regulators are very common on e90's. Especially in the rear.
By the way, the motor isn't cheap. Hence, I haven't replaced it. Since I don't use that window, I have better things to spend $125-150.00 on 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
I’m there with the same mistake. Do you recall what you had to do to get it to relearn the end points???
Are you familiar with the process to reinitialize the windows? It’s that same process, but with a bunch of failed attempts as well as constant cursing.

I wish I could tell you there was some trick to getting my window to roll up from a fully-open position without jamming, but from what I recall it was just a whole lot of trial and error. Mostly error.
      05-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Are you familiar with the process to reinitialize the windows? It’s that same process, but with a bunch of failed attempts as well as constant cursing.

I wish I could tell you there was some trick to getting my window to roll up from a fully-open position without jamming, but from what I recall it was just a whole lot of trial and error. Mostly error.
Lol...thx for the feedback...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I have the exact same issue with both of my rear windows and yeah, it's the regulator. I had my interior door panels off and there's some slack in the plastic clips that attach to the windows.

I've tried reinitializing them several times and it doesn't work.

The way to get them up is to press the switch up a few times quickly to get the window to raise just a bit past the dust seal, after that they will go up with the switch normally. Until I get new regulators I just don't put my rear windows down all the way; just leave them about 1/4" above the dust seal and mine go up fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
janpavlik
Rep

Thanks all you guys, I will try to replace it after vacation and see if it helps
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post

There is a process through ISTA D that I have used which has never failed me yet.

There are manual fixes where to hold the button this way for x seconds and then that way for y seconds etc. They do work but after a while they don't. That's what made me turn to ISTA D.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
There is a process through ISTA D that I have used which has never failed me yet.

There are manual fixes where to hold the button this way for x seconds and then that way for y seconds etc. They do work but after a while they don't. That's what made me turn to ISTA D.
I had no idea! I was using INPA. Ultimately I reinitialized them manually.

Thanks for pointing that out.