E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i throwing 3 codes after returning from independent shop

05-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Natoma16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

335i throwing 3 codes after returning from independent shop

Hey all I am in need of some assistance, been searching all the forums and google but cant seem to find an answer.

My 2008 335i recently went into the indy shop for Power steering failure, got the car back they ended up replacing the oil filter housing gasket, power steering hoses and a belt. They diagnosed it as a leaky gasket dripping oil onto hoses and belt causing them to fail. Ended up dishing out quite a bit of $$ for that repair and now the car has 3 fault codes, 2C9C 2c3f and 29f3.

Not sure if this could be caused by any of the repair work done or an unrelated issue. I am getting the yellow SES light and with a code reader I am able to clear the code however it returns soon after. I have seen multiple threads relating to LPFP sensor or O2 sensors. Curious if anyone else has had an issue like this or similar? Any advice where to begin would be awesome, thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoma16 View Post
...2008 335i recently went into the indy shop for Power steering failure, got the car back they ended up replacing the oil filter housing gasket, power steering hoses and a belt...Ended up dishing out quite a bit of $$ for that repair and now the car has 3 fault codes, 2C9C 2c3f and 29f3. [can you say "REBATE"] Not sure if this could be caused by any of the repair work done or an unrelated issue. I am getting the yellow SES light and with a code reader I am able to clear the code however it returns soon after...
Code Definitions per "www.bmwfault.codes":
2C9C | DME: Oxygen sensor heater before catalytic converter: Activation | msd80 | Engine electronics (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
2C3F | DME: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter: Signal lines | msd80 | Engine electronics (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
29F3 | DME: Fuel low-pressure sensor, electric | msd80 | Engine electronics

Since all three of those codes are for different functions, all three suggest a disconnected sensor (circuit fault/ low voltage/ open circuit), and all three otherwise unrelated faults occurred immediately following the shops "efforts", then "you make the call."

Here is TIS circuit diagram for O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1 (pre-cat sensor on front exhaust manifold, B62101 in schematic) & Installation location of its Connector, X62101:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/vF5QqMj
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-335i-lim/SCO2U5k

Note in that last "Installation Location" diagram, Connector X6328, which is the connector for the Rail Pressure Sensor, which is Component #B2261 in this TIS circuit diagram for High Pressure Fuel System:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/vBr6Zs4

I would be MOST SURPRISED if both "Connectors" X62101 & X6328 are not DIS-connected.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
Natoma16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow thanks man really appreciate the help! I'll take a look at the connectors asap and let you know what I find. Figured it wasn't just a coincidence this happened, looks like ill be on the search for a new indy shop
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoma16 View Post
Wow thanks man really appreciate the help! I'll take a look at the connectors asap and let you know what I find. Figured it wasn't just a coincidence this happened, looks like ill be on the search for a new indy shop
Can't guarantee that is the cause, but since both connectors are in the same area it's quite a "coincidence." If they did the job OK otherwise, I'd just talk to them and give them a chance to make amends. Everybody's got to make a buck & sometimes people get interrupted, in a hurry, etc. -- NOT a perfect world.

Please let us know how it works out,
George
Appreciate 0