E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Vacuum leak sound near valvetronic motor gasket causing all these codes?

05-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Vacuum leak sound near valvetronic motor gasket causing all these codes?

Hello guys. On my 2008 328i the car started running terrible and smoking out tailpipe. On my scanner I have p1415 (air mass or vacuum leak),p0306 cyl 6 misfire,p0300 random multiple misfires,p0303 cyl 3 misfire. I looked around for vacuum leaks and there is clearly a leak near the bolt that holds the valvetronic motor to the valve cover. It is on the innermost bolt that holds the part not the 2 screw that hold the valvetronic gasket to the valve cover. If i put a small rag there the noise disappears. Is it possible to have a vac leak here but not see an oil leak? Would the be considered unmetered air traveling into the system and it could cause the smoking out the tail pipe as well? Trying to rule this out before buying a new Maf. Thank you in advance for the help.
😄
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Sounds like a bad PCV valve incorporated in plastic valve cover is causing engine to suck oil from valve cover area into intake, burn it, and send black smoke/soot out the tailpipes.

This condition causes low pressure in the entire Valve Cover area, including the VVT Motor mounting gasket area and the Oil Filler Cover. If you have difficulty opening the Oil Filler Cover with engine running, and the hiss goes away with the Cover open, then you need to replace your Plastic Valve Cover.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
My bet is the plastic hoses that form part of the CCV system are cracked or your oil separator is clogged. Or both. For the record I had a valvetronic motor gasket leak and it didn't throw any codes.

Don't toss money at a new MAF, check these items first!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:06 AM   #4
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Thank you both for all the help. I will add these too my list. Yesterday I was driving the 08 328i and it stumbled and smoked all the way home for around 6 miles. Today before I got s chance to read both of your posts I did a couple of things. I put my 06 325i Maf into the 08 and went for a ride. It drove perfect with no stumbling but still smoked a little when I pressed on the gas half way to the floor. So I was thinking maybe the converter and muffler still have oil in them? Next I came home put the old Maf back in and went for same ride..smoked worse...and stumbling real bad...so bad that I pulled over on a side street and unplugged Maf ti drive home. As soon as I started it with Maf it ran perfect again. So after reading both your responses and about the oil cap leak it had me thinking about that hissing from the valvetronic motor again. So I went out there and stuck my bright light into the oil filler cap hole in the dark and Wow..there is a big hole where the center of the valvetronic motor enters into the valve cover. I changed the valve cover 3 months ago and it was perfect. The oil cap is easy to remove with the car running. Either the valvetronic gasket which came attached to the valve cover was already damaged or I damaged it installing the valvetronic motor. First order of business is fixing that large leak with a new oem Bmw valvetronic gasket and then move on to the next things on your lists. I figure that having this big leak here is the same as if it were leaking from the oil cap or ccv hoses as they are all connected correct? Thanks again and wish me luck. My Best,Nel
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
ewrjontan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 Porsche 987 Cayman

Did you get this resolved? Having similar issues after replacing my valvecover gasket and it turns out my new valvetronic motor gasket has failed and completely torn apart after only 5 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Bummer. Which supplier is that bad gasket from?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #7
ewrjontan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 Porsche 987 Cayman

The new vvt gasket was elring. However, I did just realize that my current valvecover is a Dorman brand cover; clearly says made in China on the top so I dont know how I missed that. I am assuming it was replaced along with included vvt and valvecover gaskets when the dealership that I purchased the vehicle did the gasket replacement as apart of their pre-purchase services.

I did some digging into this particular valve cover and it has nothing but bad reviews. The reviews mention PCV/CCV issues as well as also causing the vvt gasket to leak. One of the reviews mention the distance between the valvecover and the vvt mounting surface is off. There is probably a gap between the vvt mounting surface as well as the oem/bmw gaskets so when I tightened the motor down it probably stretched the gasket which didn't take long to inevitably tear away completely.

I have a new genuine cover on the way so hopefully that will fix my issues.
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      11-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #8
Sik328i
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i E92

Garage List
I just recently completed the VCG/Eccentric shaft sensor replacement on my 2009 328i e92 n52n. I did replace all associated gaskets with Genuine BMW parts. Upon getting everything back together, I re-learned the VVT stop limits via INPA to start the vehicle and immediately the engine sounded like a tractor! I scanned the DME with ProTool to see the error codes for the VANOS -intake, camshaft crankshaft correlation error immediately. Long story short, I simply replaced th VANOS solenoid on the intake side and the issue is fixed. She purrs like a tiger again! Thanks to this forum.
Appreciate 0