F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Brake calipers painted in Connecticut? Any suggestions?
Studio RSR

05-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

Brake calipers painted in Connecticut? Any suggestions?

Looking for a good show to paint my calipers red. Prefer CT shoreline.

Thanks!
      05-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Don't pay someone a fortune to paint your calipers. Do it yourself. The absolute best method is to use G2 Caliper paint which you can buy from TireRack for $42. See G2USA.com for lots of photos and instructions.

It's a two-part epoxy type paint that you brush on your calipers right on the car. You need to do it with the air temperature in the range that they specify. When its hotter the paint will get gloppy. You have roughly 1-2 hours to work with the paint before it sets up. So either borrow 4 jack stands to do all four at once or buy two G2 kits and just do two calipers at a time.The paint levels out on the surface so brush marks disappear and it looks like they were sprayed.

Prep was pretty easy. I went to Walmart and bought 4-5 cans of cheap brake cleaner, some cheap wire brushes and a plastic oil drain pan. I also used Formula 409 which is great to cut through grease and rust. Put the car up on jack stands, put the plastic pan under the brakes to catch the rust, gunk and solvents as you spray on Formula 409 and brush all of the rusty areas with the wire brushes. Clean it all off with a spray of brake cleaner and repeat until they look great. Remember that you don't have to paint the entire caliper, only the visible parts. Use blue painters tape anywhere you want to avoid accidentally painting like the bleeder valves, etc.

G2 gives you one small brush with a silver handle. You can buy a pack of 36 of these brushes at Harbor Freight for about $2-$3. Great photos on their website. Photos of my calipers in G2 Black are attached. I just bought white Brembo decals and applied them after the paint dried. You can find all kinds of decals on eBay and if you find one who actually makes the decals they will make them in custom sizes for you. My 4-piston front calipers and 2-piston rear calipers needed different size decals. I also cleaned up the rust on my rotors and painted the sides of the rotor hats that you see when the wheels are on, with G2 Silver paint.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

Understood and thanks for the info but I’m looking to just get it done on the run and really don’t have time to do it myself at this time.
Appreciate 0