E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > gas additive?

08-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
klg007
Griff
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

gas additive?

I heard not to put fuel additives/cleaners in my BMW and I think I remember seeing in my owners manual, but since BMW sells a additive I am guessing it is OK. Does anyone add a fuel additive, if so do you just add el-cheapo from wal-mart or do you have another brand your prefer...thanks for your help...KG
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

“fuel additives” covers a lot of ground, much of it bad.

Additives containing effective detergents (Techron from Chevron, Redline SI-1 or SI-2) seem to have good reputations. If a car is going to sit for several months Sta-bil may be in order.

DO NOT put in additives that contain alcohol; the corn lobby has already made sure that we have more than enough of that in our gasoline.

But if the car is running well and being driven regularly your best bet, IMO, is to just buy decent gasoline. While all the gas is the same the additive packages and quality control do vary. And this is the point of the Top Tier program.

The BMW additive is rebranded Techron and is not intended for routine use.

And as a general rule if you can buy it at Wal-Mart it does not go into a German car!
Appreciate 0