BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Camera Calibration - Learned Something New

05-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Camera Calibration - Learned Something New

I thought I'd share with the group something I just learned about the F90. I had to have my windshield replaced last week. Like every other car that has cameras/sensors behind the glass, there is always a calibration needed after the new glass is installed.

On the F90, the car will auto-calibrate the cameras. How cool is that? So all you have to do is get the new glass and drive off.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Good info, thanks.
      05-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

LOL, tried to reply yesterday but system was down. cut and past my reply.....

Did they reused the sensors that were already there or use new ones. (They are not cheap).

I ask because when my windshield was replaced, my dealer said they had to replace the light sensor and the camera because of the adhesive used (I called bullshit on that) and as a result they replaced the light sensor for the rain sensor, which also effects the heads-up display, with the WRONG part number due to some BS about their computer having the wrong part listed. The rain sensor is fine but the heads-up display gets DIMMER as the ambient light gets brighter. Would have been nice if the tech looked at the part number on the original. Just saying.

I am heading back there on Monday for the second trip to get this issue fixed. When they were trying to troubleshoot it a month ago, the tech ripped the wires for the rear view mirror out of the connector and tried to tell me that I broke the connector when I put the mirror tap wires in it. (Again I call bullshit on that). So they have to replace the rear view mirror which is $900. Nice. Of course the connector could be replaced easy enough if they could find the wire diagram for the connector. For some reason my local BMW shop 'parts' expert could not figure out how to use BMW's new parts catalogue to find the wire diagram for me, and the dealer in Albany that I am going to would not forward me a copy of the wire diagram. Otherwise I would have fixed it myself. 4 wires to connect but on the wire harness side the colors are different than on the rear view mirror side. WTF?

By the way, the sensor or camera or what ever part they need to replace is $600 and includes the magic adhesive. Such BS. All on their dime.

SO VERY GLAD TO HEAR THE CAR WILL AUTO CALIBRATE THAT CAMERA! I don't give a shit about the heads up display any longer, but I want the Auto dimming rear view mirror back DAM IT and the Home-link DAM IT!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I thought I'd share with the group something I just learned about the F90. I had to have my windshield replaced last week. Like every other car that has cameras/sensors behind the glass, there is always a calibration needed after the new glass is installed.

On the F90, the car will auto-calibrate the cameras. How cool is that? So all you have to do is get the new glass and drive off.
This isn't new.

My 2015 F80, had windshield replaced... nothing additional was ever needed.

Additional Info— that car had the upgraded cameras, HUD... well shit, it had every option.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2274.00
      05-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
LOL, tried to reply yesterday but system was down. cut and past my reply.....

Did they reused the sensors that were already there or use new ones. (They are not cheap).

I ask because when my windshield was replaced, my dealer said they had to replace the light sensor and the camera because of the adhesive used (I called bullshit on that) and as a result they replaced the light sensor for the rain sensor, which also effects the heads-up display, with the WRONG part number due to some BS about their computer having the wrong part listed. The rain sensor is fine but the heads-up display gets DIMMER as the ambient light gets brighter. Would have been nice if the tech looked at the part number on the original. Just saying.

I am heading back there on Monday for the second trip to get this issue fixed. When they were trying to troubleshoot it a month ago, the tech ripped the wires for the rear view mirror out of the connector and tried to tell me that I broke the connector when I put the mirror tap wires in it. (Again I call bullshit on that). So they have to replace the rear view mirror which is $900. Nice. Of course the connector could be replaced easy enough if they could find the wire diagram for the connector. For some reason my local BMW shop 'parts' expert could not figure out how to use BMW's new parts catalogue to find the wire diagram for me, and the dealer in Albany that I am going to would not forward me a copy of the wire diagram. Otherwise I would have fixed it myself. 4 wires to connect but on the wire harness side the colors are different than on the rear view mirror side. WTF?

By the way, the sensor or camera or what ever part they need to replace is $600 and includes the magic adhesive. Such BS. All on their dime.

SO VERY GLAD TO HEAR THE CAR WILL AUTO CALIBRATE THAT CAMERA! I don't give a shit about the heads up display any longer, but I want the Auto dimming rear view mirror back DAM IT and the Home-link DAM IT!

Mike
What an incompetent bunch of w***ers, I would not ever use them again.
      05-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Little errors happened here and there. I did not get upset, but did make sure they now that owning up to an error is more important to me. Don't play games. You broke it, now own it.

I went back to BMW to have local service. Was not very happy with the local service frankly because they did not tell me up front that their repair shop was not a BMW certified repair shop. I now know what that means. And so I ended up in Albany (2 hours or so away) for service mainly because that is where my car was rebuilt. Nice people. They did a great job accept for a minor issue with the light sensor, which was due to some computer error in the data base. The tech should have looked at the old part number dam it. Hopefully this will be my last trip until next routine service. They wanted to keep my car and fix it a on the last trip, but I'd rather not drive a 5 year old loaner for a month. Perhaps if they offered me a 7 series loaner or similar. I'll probably risk the local service place for oil changes and simple stuff.

The local BMW shop did do an engine swap TWICE on a friends 7 series, that apparently was a common problem on the 7 series a few years ago, and it was fine each time. So I guess they can be trusted for an oil change.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Little errors happened here and there. I did not get upset, but did make sure they now that owning up to an error is more important to me. Don't play games. You broke it, now own it.

I went back to BMW to have local service. Was not very happy with the local service frankly because they did not tell me up front that their repair shop was not a BMW certified repair shop. I now know what that means. And so I ended up in Albany (2 hours or so away) for service mainly because that is where my car was rebuilt. Nice people. They did a great job accept for a minor issue with the light sensor, which was due to some computer error in the data base. The tech should have looked at the old part number dam it. Hopefully this will be my last trip until next routine service. They wanted to keep my car and fix it a on the last trip, but I'd rather not drive a 5 year old loaner for a month. Perhaps if they offered me a 7 series loaner or similar. I'll probably risk the local service place for oil changes and simple stuff.

The local BMW shop did do an engine swap TWICE on a friends 7 series, that apparently was a common problem on the 7 series a few years ago, and it was fine each time. So I guess they can be trusted for an oil change.

Mike
Best of luck in the future.
      05-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:

This isn't new.

Additional Info— that car had the upgraded cameras, HUD... well shit, it had every option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:

This isn't new.

That's strange as my F83 required calibration after glass replacement.
Appreciate 0