BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New Pads Now Clicking Sound

05-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

New Pads Now Clicking Sound

I installed Pagid RSL 29 pads yesterday for an upcoming race event. Now when I back up or pull forward at slow speeds and apply the brakes there is a clicking noise.

Any clue what this might be?
      05-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Your brake pads are moving in the calipers. If it bothers you, refit the standard pads...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
c_w
Rep
Drives: M2

As above, the pads settle at the top or bottom of the caliper when you reverse or go foward and press the brakes. Endless pads are the same. Personally i think if uou could transfer the rubber backing which wraps around the oe pad it will likely stop this rattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

As above, the pads settle at the top or bottom of the caliper when you reverse or go foward and press the brakes. Endless pads are the same. Personally i think if uou could transfer the rubber backing which wraps around the oe pad it will likely stop this rattle.[/QUOTE]

Apparently there are some thin metal shims if you will that wrap around the OEM pads. It sounds like I needed to remove those and install on the Pagids. They don't come off easily though. I'm afraid to pry to hard and bend the thin metal plates. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1evk1mynsv...70032.jpg?dl=0
      05-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

I got the "shims" off with a heat gun and putty knife. Pic below, interesting that they are made by Brembo.

Now I need to figure out what type of adhesive to use to put them on the Pagid pads.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22lef42xgvm0wdz/SHIM.jpg?dl=0
      05-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

I recently posted on Rennlist about this exact topic. It's not uncommon to see size variation in pad backing plates across different brands, particularly with race compounds. Some brands run smaller or larger than others, and they can vary by a couple millimeters in some dimensions. As noted by others, if the holes for the pad retainers aren't precise, they will allow the pads to move around a bit in the caliper.

A thumping or knocking sound typically occurs when the pads move from one end of the caliper to the other and make contact with the caliper body...clunk! This would likely be most pronounced when going from forward to reverse or vice versa, so don't let it scare you...it will happen.

In our AP Racing calipers, we have stainless steel abutment plates to resist the wear caused by this type of pad movement. Many OEM calipers just allow the pads to make contact with the aluminum caliper body.

The little metal shims are for squeal/vibration damping, and they aren't going to make the pad longer, or make the pins fit more snugly in the holes in the backing plate. In other words, the metal shims won't ever solve a clunk!

Hopefully that helps. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about.
Appreciate 0