Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Digital Instrument Cluster and HUD questions

05-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Digital Instrument Cluster and HUD questions

Hi all,

I am cross shopping an Audi S5 Sportback Prestige and a BMW M340i. I have driven the Audi twice, just drove the M340i yesterday. They are both great cars.

I have been offered 12% off on the Audi by two different dealerships. It will be interesting if I can get anywhere close to that discount on the BMW. I will be looking at a fully loaded car with an MSRP around $68-$69k.

My questions are:

1. The center of the digital instrument cluster contains a map. It seems totally redundant to the center MMI screen and to the HUD. How do people use this? Does it show info that is not contained in the other screens? It also seems a little dark

2. Is there a way to see the gear I am in on the HUD?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Funny I had a similar offer for a 2019 S4, 36 year lease and 15k miles / yr. wasn't terribly impressed with it, also the color didnt help (basic white), the google maps display was vibrant and the B&O system was nice. But, I'm a BMW guy ... so...

At this point I think the M340i is the better car, that is until RS Avant arrives.

You can modify the live cockpit display (ie remove nav screen, ....).

Not saying it can't be done, but I haven't found out how to display gear info like the F82 hud... perhaps switching to manual mode, with paddle shifters? I'll give it a try later.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

The map in the cockpit can be useful. The mmi can display all kind of information widgets in home mode. For example, I show a small map, phone and media information. The small map shows a view on the whole route. While the cockpit shows more "details".
The cockpit map is indeed darker. But still very easy to read while not attracting focus from other cockpit information like speeds, max speed, cc, others.
When on intersections or other navigation events, both the cockpit as hud show a closeup.

With this setup, I barely look at the mmi.

I don't the think the hud shows gear information...
      05-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
Hi all,

I am cross shopping an Audi S5 Sportback Prestige and a BMW M340i. I have driven the Audi twice, just drove the M340i yesterday. They are both great cars.

I have been offered 12% off on the Audi by two different dealerships. It will be interesting if I can get anywhere close to that discount on the BMW. I will be looking at a fully loaded car with an MSRP around $68-$69k.

My questions are:

1. The center of the digital instrument cluster contains a map. It seems totally redundant to the center MMI screen and to the HUD. How do people use this? Does it show info that is not contained in the other screens? It also seems a little dark

2. Is there a way to see the gear I am in on the HUD?
Answers:
1. I don’t think it shows info that is not shown on the other screens.
I have deleted this map on the instrument cluster via the idrive.

2. No, not on UK cars.
Appreciate 0