F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Any CT F30's running catless DP?
Studio RSR

05-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Any CT F30's running catless DP?

Any Connecticut owners running a catless DP with our strict emissions testing? I am picking up my 2016 340i tomorrow and am already considering performance mod options. How are you getting around the inspections? I'm pretty sure they do a visual inspections for the cats but I'm pretty sure there is a cat in the mid-pipe? Is that all they'll look for? I used to have a 1988 mustang and I ran a catless exhaust H-pipe that I would swap out for the stock catted pipe every two years for the test. Just wondering if anyone does that sort of thing now with the DP.

Also, anyone running a catted DP have any problems passing emissions test?

Last edited by jbb2388; 05-13-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

I would go catless and hit up Enzo PRacing in Bayshore LI, he does a tune to bypass emissions. Then you never have to swap!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
There is NO cat in the midpipe - that's a resonator for sound reduction purposes

Here in PA we have the yearly emissions check thru OBD port. Shop I use has NEVER done a visual inspection.

If when plugged into the OBD port there are no codes & all readiness checks req'd come thru OK - I pass

Problem with catless is the readiness check.

Custom tunes can get rid of the CEL on dash, but afaik they do not simulate 'readiness'. States allow you to pass even if not all readiness checks come thru - different amount vary by state as to how many you are allowed to fail but still pass

Only way to guarantee that you will pass emissions is to use a Hi Flow catted DP such as the Fabspeed with the HJS cats. ALL other catted DP's will throw a CEL eventually and not pass all readiness checks - tons of threads regarding this...

I use the FS DP and have not had a problem passing emissions here in PA since it's install - no CEL either

I inquired with FS before purchase just to make sure of their guarantee. As they are also in PA they assured me they never had a problem with a car passing or I could return for refund

Some will say they will simply swap back in their OEM DP for emissions test so as to pass - DP install in my 435ix was a PITA & I'm surely NOT gonna swap DP in & out every yr

Some may have no problem with that, but I have better things to do with my time

Of course you're gonna pay for that privilege as normal pricing on FS DP is $1300+ I got mine on sale at $1100, but well worth it. Fitment is spot on - which at least makes the install bearable
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
jbb238847.50
      05-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
On another note, my TransAm has 1-7/8" Hooker Long Tube Headers, NO cats, straight back tru duals, and GMMG chambered muffler.

Before my Trans Am was 'Emissions Exempt' (any car driven <5000Mi/yr), I could use an O2 SIM that plugged into the O2 wires going to computer to 'fool' it into thinking the O2 sensor was still present. No visual on that car either & it passed PA emissions every time with only the SIM

Too bad nothing like that exists for the BMW that is foolproof. Some try angled adapters between pipe & O2 sensor = hit or miss whether it works, same with the CAT sims which don't work for the N55 engine for whatever reason
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 05-14-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate the replies guys. CT tests every two years. So thats good info that the piece in the midpipe is not a cat so they will definitely do visual on the DP and if its not catted will probably fail. I agree though I am no longer in my 20's and have no desire to swap the stock pipe back in every two years. F that. Will end up going catted me thinks. Maybe the ER catted pipe looks good at this point.

BTW, just got the car Saturday and effin love it. Have already ordered the bimmercode OBD2 adapter, the ethernet OBD2 adapter for BM3 and everything I need to install a JL 12" sub in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post
I appreciate the replies guys. CT tests every two years. So thats good info that the piece in the midpipe is not a cat so they will definitely do visual on the DP and if its not catted will probably fail. I agree though I am no longer in my 20's and have no desire to swap the stock pipe back in every two years. F that. Will end up going catted me thinks. Maybe the ER catted pipe looks good at this point.

BTW, just got the car Saturday and effin love it. Have already ordered the bimmercode OBD2 adapter, the ethernet OBD2 adapter for BM3 and everything I need to install a JL 12" sub in the trunk.

Just remember, even though it will pass visual, the ER catted DP will still throw a CEL (which could be turned Off thru BM3) but you will also still have the 'readiness' issue that will not allow you to pass OBD emissions test

Currently only proven aftermarket catted DP that is all good is the FabSpeed
Appreciate 1
jbb238847.50
      05-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Thanks again man. My understanding was the ER catted pipe did not cause a CEL??? I've read that multiple times here.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Just remember, even though it will pass visual, the ER catted DP will still throw a CEL (which could be turned Off thru BM3) but you will also still have the 'readiness' issue that will not allow you to pass OBD emissions test

1 monitor (catalytic converter) can not be ready, but still pass in CT though right?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Yes I live in ct and from my experience have no issues with visual. I flash back to stage 0 with mhd and drive hundred miles then go to new haven or Bridgeport to get it done.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Yes I live in ct and from my experience have no issues with visual. I flash back to stage 0 with mhd and drive hundred miles then go to new haven or Bridgeport to get it done.
Hey Rob. You have a catless or catted dp? Must be catted right? Which one do you have? Really want to get a catted dp but do not want to deal with failed emissions tests. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0