BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Quick VRSF DP/AA Midpipe/Remus Rear Initial Impressions

05-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quick VRSF DP/AA Midpipe/Remus Rear Initial Impressions

Hey guys, I just wanted to give my initial impressions of the setup as the "reviews" are few and far between.

I am going to rate the "loudness" from 1-10

Stock

Valves Closed
Light Acceleration - (1)
WOT - (2)
Cruise - (1)

Valves Open
Light Acceleration - (2)
WOT - (3)
Cruise - (2)
Burbles - (2)

New Setup

Valves Closed
Light Acceleration - (4) Definitely noticeable there is an exhaust.
WOT - (5.5)
Cruise - (2.5 - 3)I'd say just a little louder than stock with valves open. I took notice that depending on road, road noise is almost as loud as exhaust.

Valves Open
Light Acceleration - (5) Now were getting somewhere.
WOT - (7-8) OMG!
Cruise - (3-4) Not too bad.
Burbles - Will wake everyone up in a 1/2 mile radius!

There is absolutely no noticeable drone at all. I'd say the only drawback is really due to the S55 note itself. I will try and get some recordings soon.

Last edited by Juicehead; 05-14-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      05-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
pointy
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Pretty much the setup I'll be aiming for. Looking forward to pics and videos
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP

Looking forward for the sound clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointy View Post
Pretty much the setup I'll be aiming for. Looking forward to pics and videos
Let me know if i can be part of your build

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Looking forward to hearing some sound clips! Are there any exhaust rattles by any chance? The flex portion seems to be in the DP for the S55 and looks like VRSF DP is one of the DP manufacturers that don't have flex on their DP.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Looking forward to hearing some sound clips! Are there any exhaust rattles by any chance? The flex portion seems to be in the DP for the S55 and looks like VRSF DP is one of the DP manufacturers that don't have flex on their DP.
Absolutely no vibration or rattle. I found a shop here in Tampa (finally) that does awesome work. I asked him how the fitment was and he stated that everything fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Absolutely no vibration or rattle. I found a shop here in Tampa (finally) that does awesome work. I asked him how the fitment was and he stated that everything fit perfectly.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Congrats! I just got my Remus Race and AA midpipe installed yesterday. Based on your scoring, I would say I have a much lower tolerance than you I don't even have catless downpipes but I still think it's too loud especially the burbles and throttle lift off. If you are at 4-5k RPM and immediately release the throttle, the noise it makes is just crazy IMO. I love how deep and rasp free it sounds but I might actually consider going back to stock for now till I figure out What I wanna do next.

If anyone is interested in buying my setup, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a great deal (it has less than 100 miles on it).

OP, I'm glad you like your setup. I do too but I wish I lived in a less strict state in terms of exhaust laws for both street and track
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

cntzl Yikes. I'd like to hear this in person if possible before you part ways. I was considering the same set up but like you, I'm not looking for more attention with loud crackles and bangs.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
cntzl Yikes. I'd like to hear this in person if possible before you part ways. I was considering the same set up but like you, I'm not looking for more attention with loud crackles and bangs.
I have video clips and might upload them later on Youtube. In the meantime, I posted a lot of clips on my IG story (@cntzl.m2). However, videos don't do it justice. That's all I'm gonna say. I placed an order after watching the Youtube video of this setup and there are couple threads on this forum that has the clips as well. From the videos it sounds like a lovely setup and it really is but it's pretty damn loud in person from my point of view.

Edit: Just saw you are in Bay Area too. You can check it out sometime next week maybe.

Last edited by M-Pilot; 05-16-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I have video clips and might upload them later on Youtube. In the meantime, I posted a lot of clips on my IG story (@cntzl.m2). However, videos don't do it justice. That's all I'm gonna say. I placed an order after watching the Youtube video of this setup and there are couple threads on this forum that has the clips as well. From the videos it sounds like a lovely setup and it really is but it's pretty damn loud in person from my point of view.

Edit: Just saw you are in Bay Area too. You can check it out sometime next week maybe.
What N55 setups have you heard and how does this compare? I have a N55 M2 with a FI catback + fabspeed sport cat and wondering how loud it is comparatively.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
nesnah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2C

Quote:
Congrats! I just got my Remus Race and AA midpipe installed yesterday. Based on your scoring, I would say I have a much lower tolerance than you I don't even have catless downpipes but I still think it's too loud especially the burbles and throttle lift off. If you are at 4-5k RPM and immediately release the throttle, the noise it makes is just crazy IMO. I love how deep and rasp free it sounds but I might actually consider going back to stock for now till I figure out What I wanna do next.

If anyone is interested in buying my setup, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a great deal (it has less than 100 miles on it).

OP, I'm glad you like your setup. I do too but I wish I lived in a less strict state in terms of exhaust laws for both street and track
Now i'm really curious how loud it is in the real world. How is it with the valves closed though?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Quote:

What N55 setups have you heard and how does this compare? I have a N55 M2 with a FI catback + fabspeed sport cat and wondering how loud it is comparatively.
I heard couple different N55 setups but don't remember exactly what they were. I know MPE, stock+Sport DP, and some other setup that was really loud. I definitely heard louder setups than Remus Race + AA midpipe (mostly on S55 such as Eisenmann Race with catless downpipes, M4 GT4 exhaust with stock downpipes etc.). So this is not the loudest but still makes me uncomfortable when driving mainly because of the burbles. I'll probably have to turn them off completely via BM3 if I keep this setup. Burbles make way too much noise with this setup. I can't even imagine how loud they would be if I were to add catless downpipes lol. Everytime I see a cop I get nervous. Yes, it's much better with valves closed but if I'm going to drive with valves closed most of the time then why did I spend all this money on this setup? I'm more inclined towards parting it out unfortunately. I can just keep the Remus Race but not sure if I'll like how it sounds with stock mid.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnah View Post
Quote:

Now i'm really curious how loud it is in the real world. How is it with the valves closed though?
Check out my post above. It's better with valves closed but still much louder than stock IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I heard couple different N55 setups but don't remember exactly what they were. I know MPE, stock+Sport DP, and some other setup that was really loud. I definitely heard louder setups than Remus Race + AA midpipe (mostly on S55 such as Eisenmann Race with catless downpipes, M4 GT4 exhaust with stock downpipes etc.). So this is not the loudest but still makes me uncomfortable when driving mainly because of the burbles. I'll probably have to turn them off completely via BM3 if I keep this setup. Burbles make way too much noise with this setup. I can't even imagine how loud they would be if I were to add catless downpipes lol. Everytime I see a cop I get nervous. Yes, it's much better with valves closed but if I'm going to drive with valves closed most of the time then why did I spend all this money on this setup? I'm more inclined towards parting it out unfortunately. I can just keep the Remus Race but not sure if I'll like how it sounds with stock mid.
Try the custom burble option in BM3

Sport
Seconds = 0
Aggressive = .1

Sport will let out a small pop on decel and between shifts.

Sport+
Seconds = 1
Aggressive = .1

I find that is a good balance between good and ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Try the custom burble option in BM3

Sport
Seconds = 0
Aggressive = .1

Sport will let out a small pop on decel and between shifts.

Sport+
Seconds = 1
Aggressive = .1

I find that is a good balance between good and ridiculous.
That's exactly what I'm running right now but still find it pretty aggressive. Maybe this is a sign that I'm getting old lol.
Appreciate 1
JeremyDFW458.00
      05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
I might be interested in just the AA mid if it works with the stock rear section. I may be interested in the whole setup if the price is right.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]