BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Sport brakes are they a must?

05-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Stunad
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

M Sport brakes are they a must?

So I'm looking into buying a low milage M2C.
I've got my eye on 2 cars, same price and pretty much full optioned. Only differences are:
1. Black, 3500km, standard brakes
2. HH Silver, 12000km, M Sport brakes

Not that big of a fan of the HH Silver, but was wondering what people's opinions are on the M sport brakes vs the standard.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunad View Post
So I'm looking into buying a low milage M2C.
I've got my eye on 2 cars, same price and pretty much full optioned. Only differences are:
1. Black, 3500km, standard brakes
2. HH Silver, 12000km, M Sport brakes

Not that big of a fan of the HH Silver, but was wondering what people's opinions are on the M sport brakes vs the standard.

Thanks in advance.
I'm concerned with rocks getting stuck between the caliper and wheel, causing gouges in the wheel. Lots of posts in the m3/m4 forum of this happening and the dealer not replacing the wheels.

Also I am concerned with the weight difference. The bigger brakes are 35lbs heavier. 20lbs of that being rotating mass of the rotors.

Also I'm not sure if they are that big of an improvement over the standard brakes. I can expand on that later, as I have a meeting in a few minutes.
Appreciate 2
termigni1081.00
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
This thread should be in M2C section.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

I would get big brakes

6 pistons is better than 4

Plus all the high end cars have em too, you can act cool with your brakes
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

If you will track the car on regular basis you already know the answer.
Otherwise the regular brakes are pretty damn good already.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I tried to post a picture but the app won't let me in this thread for some reason. Mine already have a groove, but it's hard to see unless you are looking for it. Just going to paint the groove black.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
For me they were a must for aesthetics.

They also match the HS paint well. I'm very happy I went with them.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agonised over this for ages. I was really worried about the wheel clearance, scoring the wheel barrel, and the unsprung weight. I went with the standard brakes and don't regret it. If I need to improve them I will just replace the std pads with something better and perhaps upgrade the fluid. I think you would still need to do that with the 6 pots anyway if you want to track the car, so I figured no down side, and I save the weight.
Plus they match LBB
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
The huge brakes & yes, the are freaking huge, bigger than any BBK i've seen, bigger than my coworkers Hurrican, bigger than my buddies X5M, are massive. They are pretty much overkill for the car & I love them for that.
The only downside that i see is that brake dust is a HUGE problem. I clean my wheels and the next day, literally, the next day, the brakes are caked in dust.
These are supercar brakes, get them.
Appreciate 2
MDuckie93.00
fili9231.50
      05-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
I agonised over this for ages. I was really worried about the wheel clearance, scoring the wheel barrel, and the unsprung weight. I went with the standard brakes and don't regret it. If I need to improve them I will just replace the std pads with something better and perhaps upgrade the fluid. I think you would still need to do that with the 6 pots anyway if you want to track the car, so I figured no down side, and I save the weight.
Plus they match LBB
This +1 plus I can fit my 18" winterset plus the blue brakes match the blue interior LOL.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Not at all, if you like Black go with black it's lower miles and the regular brakes are plenty even for track duty once you upgrade the pads and fluid which you should do anyway for track duty.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

If you don't really track your car and may want to put a set of winter tires on it then the decision should be easy as the bigger brakes don't make a difference on the street and the OG M2 brakes were lauded for being pretty good in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
Stunad
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
Freddysix
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
The huge brakes & yes, the are freaking huge, bigger than any BBK i've seen, bigger than my coworkers Hurrican, bigger than my buddies X5M, are massive. They are pretty much overkill for the car & I love them for that.
The only downside that i see is that brake dust is a HUGE problem. I clean my wheels and the next day, literally, the next day, the brakes are caked in dust.
BB and HS paint dont mix. Sides and rear turns in to a diffrent color. Looks kind a nice in a racey way
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5531.00
      05-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
I totally concur with Bumpinjeep. I came from a MY17 M2, and the M2C front brakes are huge.

Tomorrow I go on my first autocross, and the following weekend, I do my 1st track day in the M2C. Will be interesting to see how the M2/M2C stack up.

As for brake dust, definitely worse on M2C. So bad that I want to change pads. I've posted elsewhere on the "Brake" section of this forum asking for advice on which brand/compound to get.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5531.00
      05-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
I totally concur with Bumpinjeep. I came from a MY17 M2, and the M2C front brakes are huge.

Tomorrow I go on my first autocross, and the following weekend, I do my 1st track day in the M2C. Will be interesting to see how the M2/M2C stack up.

As for brake dust, definitely worse on M2C. So bad that I want to change pads. I've posted elsewhere on the "Brake" section of this forum asking for advice on which brand/compound to get.
Let us know how it goes, I think this will help the OP on his/her decision about the brakes.
      05-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #17
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

IMO, the 2NH big brakes are not worth it. If I could get the car without them in the US, I would.

My thought is that for light track duty, the blue brakes are enough. For serious track rats, you will want a real BBK that can take real abuse and have easier replacement of consumables, like AP Racing. The big BMW brakes are fine but it's more of a design that throws mass at the problem instead of addressing it in a better (more costly) way.

The downsides of the 2NH brakes have been described already in this thread - namely weight, wheel selection, and increased scoring of the wheel barrel.

I wouldn't be too upset either way, I'd probably pick whichever color I wanted first before I would pass on a car because of the brake option.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Out of all the 2 Series BMWs, the M2C comes with the highest performance engine, and the highest performance chassis... so why not get the highest performance brakes as well?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Get the bigger brakes and live with the weight and the 19inch pricier tires... this aint 20-21inch Porsche GT3 carbon ceramic + trofeo r tires, its not that expensive..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Out of all the 2 Series BMWs, the M2C comes with the highest performance engine, and the highest performance chassis... so why not get the highest performance brakes as well?

The BBKs are not highest performance. They are higher in weight.

They 're supposed (when doing lap after lap) to stay more consistent, but......

Sportauto(the guys that do the Hockenheim & Ring laptimes) stated the BBK does not deliver better braking performance/shorter stopping distances.

If you go and track your car both(also BBK) brakesets need better pads(and better fluid).

When the M2C was introduced @ Ascari almost a year ago, all those press cars had BKK. But they also had 'race' pads. Just saying.

--->But the BKK looks very very impressive(though I wanted the calipers to be in yellow or red whatever and not in grey, now you almost don't recognise them vs the discs , it's all 'grey')

For me it was about weightsavings and overhere in EU we have that option to choose between them.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
      05-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #21
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The BBKs are not highest performance. They are higher in weight.

They 're supposed (when doing lap after lap) to stay more consistent, but......

Sportauto(the guys that do the Hockenheim & Ring laptimes) stated the BBK does not deliver better braking performance/shorter stopping distances.

If you go and track your car both(also BBK) brakesets need better pads(and better fluid).

When the M2C was introduced @ Ascari almost a year ago, all those press cars had BKK. But they also had 'race' pads. Just saying.

--->But the BKK looks very very impressive(though I wanted the calipers to be in yellow or red whatever and not in grey, now you almost don't recognise them vs the discs , it's all 'grey')

For me it was about weightsavings and overhere in EU we have that option to choose between them.

Cheers
Robin
I understand all that my friend.

Judging by all accounts, versus just one, it does appear that the upgraded brakes are higher performance... more total braking power sustained over a longer period of time, whether wearing stock or upgraded pads. And, certainly one could install an aftermarket BBK that performs even better.

I’ve read every article and watched every video I could find, and by far, the vast majority had nothing but praise for the M2C’s upgraded brakes. One article out of, maybe 50, didn’t note better performance from the bigger brakes... interesting. Well, at least they looked better in that article, so there’s that.

Take the SportAuto journalist who wrote the article... if he bought an M2C (without modifications) for himself, to drive spiritedly in the mountains for the next five years, I’d be surprised if he didn’t get the bigger brake option.

The extra 35 lbs. for the bigger bakes doesn’t concern me on a 3600 lb. sports car, like it might on a 3000 lb. Cayman. And I’d still want the best brakes available.

It surprises me that the bigger brakes are an option on the M2C, in some parts of the world.

It seems that the BMW Competition models should have all the upgraded performance hardware available as standard, like it is here in the States.

It makes sense that the Competition comes with upgraded engine, chassis, and brakes, over the OG M2.

I’m sure the upcoming M2CS will have upgraded engine, chassis, and brakes over the M2 Competition as well, and it should.

And it won’t bother me in the least.

Cheers to you, Sir
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2623.00
      05-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #22
fili92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 30e

Quote:
I can only confirm.
This brakes looks so huge and, omg, i love it!!
Some of my friends rolled their eyes, saying that they had never seen anything similar.
I also confirm about brake dust, mine wheels are always dirty, but it's not a problem.
And, last but not least, the color matches perfectly with hockenheim silver.
Appreciate 0