E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > went into dealer for minor checkup, came out with big $$$

08-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

went into dealer for minor checkup, came out with big $$$

so went in to check a little brake noise and a light ...
light was just a bulb out even though I check em all.

next thing you know I need 2 rear tires...fine, I'm at 24k, not bad out of a rear performance tire I guess...$400 a piece later plus installation, I have 2 new runflats... lol.. no big deal, I can live with it, then the fun started.... with the "free maintenance"

I need brakes... um rears, not front... I thought it was a little strange...
then they tell me they are only replacing the pads, not the rotors...when I asked why, they told me they cannot change the rotors yet because they are not below spec of 20mm... Yup, mine were at 20.5mm... come on...

they I asked about the fronts.. most of my cars in the past needed fronts long before rears... and they tell me fronts are almost done but.... I said "let me guess, they're not quite down below spec right?"... sure as s#$%... I was right

so my reply, let me get this right, I'm going to need rear rotors and front brake pads and rotors within a couple hundred miles or so... and you won't change them while I'm here why??? because they're not under spec????
I guess while maintenance is free, excuse me.. included, they do the bear minimum to get by...

what a joke... horrible dealer experience...

If you know I'm going to need rotors very soon and you're replacing pads now, I would've thought they would do the rotors at the same time... silly me

now another wasted trip to dealer coming up soon... fun stuff!!

probably a wasted thread but I had to vent a little...

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

ive only had my car for a few months and I had to bring it in once...they cleaned my car, which i didnt want them to...they ended up scratching the paint and making some holos. im NOT looking forward to going back.

I hear WAY too much of this kinda bullshiat.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You could have chosen to call around for a competitive quote for the tires.

If the brake pads were not in spec but still serviceable you could have asked them not to do the work at that time.

Still no out of pocket from you, so I don't see how this is a 'bad' experience. Next time the rotors are out of spec, bring it back, get a loaner an go about your business

I don't really get why you are upset
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

You got jacked on those tire prices.
It's not too uncommon for rear pads to wear faster than the fronts on performance cars.
Was the case on my G35 and happens on 350Z's and others too, so don't worry about that.

Drive your car for another month and then go back for the brake service, no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
windshear
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
You could have chosen to call around for a competitive quote for the tires.

If the brake pads were not in spec but still serviceable you could have asked them not to do the work at that time.

Still no out of pocket from you, so I don't see how this is a 'bad' experience. Next time the rotors are out of spec, bring it back, get a loaner an go about your business

I don't really get why you are upset

Because he is an American and we love to bitch and moan about insignificant s###!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
They should of done the rotors for bending you over on those tires

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
ive only had my car for a few months and I had to bring it in once...they cleaned my car, which i didnt want them to...they ended up scratching the paint and making some holos. im NOT looking forward to going back.

+1

same here. they washed my car and smeared the painters tape residue all over my car. showed up at a meet and someone asked me about wats wrong w/ my paint and thats wen i found out. it took me 2 days to clay my entire car to return its smoothness bak in original form. my SA knows better not to wash my car ne more.

i hav a good relationship w/ him now.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
$400 a piece later plus installation
I'd never buy consumables from the dealer. For future reference, I buy my tires from TireRack.com and then get a local shop to install. They'll even do drop-shipping to a local tire shop.

For the brake issue, my dealer has a grace period based on mileage - I think it was +/- 1000 miles or so for oil changes, etc. Maybe something else to consider next time.

Trust me, I hate multiple visits to the dealer too. We just had the Progman updated to fix the steering wheel locking issue, now the bluetooth/TCU is shot. Figures.
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep

wow....

I'm not really that upset, just thought after spending $962 on 2 tires that they would have done me a favor and changed the rear rotors at the same time....lol

I will go back in soon for the oil change at 30,000 and I'm sure by then the rear rotors will need changing and the front brakes will need changing too...

I guess the bright side is all of that work is free..... until 50k at least...

I wonder what a brake job like with rotors would cost out after 50k??

as far as getting ripped off for the tires... it's not the end of the world... I did it mainly for because I was there and my time going from tire shop to tire shop is worth more than saving a couple of bucks...
and as for the rft's...
I happen to think they ride fine, this way no worries about a spare, and I think this car with sport suspension is designed to ride on these tires... at least my fronts still have half tread left, not bad at 24k mileage

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

brakes customer pay is like...600 an axle as a rough guess installed. as for your rear brake rotors not being replaced..BMW has got kind of strict as far as replacement goes..they want all brake pads and rotors under warranty to be sent back to them, if they arent under spec, bmw kicks the warranty claim and therefore the tech doesnt get paid. kinda blows i know...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i don't get how you guys have such horrible experiences at the dealer.. do you go in there with grenades strapped to your chests and threaten to blow the place up?

I have yet to experience such horrible treatment at the dealer.. Everytime my car has gone to the dealer (either for scheduled maintenance, accessory add ons, early oil change, etc.) i have always been treated with respect. I was given a loaner 335i as promised, they did the work they were supposed and beyond. i once had a bubble in my front right tire, i went into as an emergency stop and i was given a loaner on the spot, the SA also fought for me for a free tire replacement because the car had only 3000+ miles on it.

I guess the link between you and a satisfactory job is treating your SA right.
      08-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post

First thing I tell any dealer is DO NOT WASH MY CAR! I can't emphasis it enough to them. I don't need some teenage kid who they hire to wash cars screw it up doing a half ass job. Plus it gets me my car back sooner!
      08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Do it yourself...just changed my rotors for $400 total. Pads are cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post
i don't get how you guys have such horrible experiences at the dealer.. do you go in there with grenades strapped to your chests and threaten to blow the place up?

I have yet to experience such horrible treatment at the dealer.. Everytime my car has gone to the dealer (either for scheduled maintenance, accessory add ons, early oil change, etc.) i have always been treated with respect. I was given a loaner 335i as promised, they did the work they were supposed and beyond. i once had a bubble in my front right tire, i went into as an emergency stop and i was given a loaner on the spot, the SA also fought for me for a free tire replacement because the car had only 3000+ miles on it.

Congratulations, You are one of the few fortunate ones. I have owned my Acura for 5 years and it's been nothing but horrible experiences for me. I have friends with BMWs and they have the same "bad" experiences. The service department just don't care !
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
First thing I tell any dealer is DO NOT WASH MY CAR! I can't emphasis it enough to them. I don't need some teenage kid who they hire to wash cars screw it up doing a half ass job. Plus it gets me my car back sooner!

same thing happen to my car and dealer had to buff out the whole front end of the car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm hoping for the BMW Performance brake set. I wonder if they would cut you a brake on the price if you went in needing the warranty work. Free labor at a minimum. BMW needs to have a policy in place for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

You know what i've come to realize from reading up one everyones maintenance stories. the 5 year free maintenance thing is a joke at best. Personally Id rather do all the maintenance myself since you cant trust half the dealers anyways. God knows they employ 18 year olds at minimum wage to perform this stuff.

Yeah true a lot of other car companies dont offer free maintenance for 4 yrs but their cars dont need it and basic maintenance can be done for very cheap by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep

maybe becuase I'm in S.Fla??? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

It all how you look at things. Every dealer for every car can give you problems. I hated my IS350 oil changes for how much they would cost. Service at Lexus is no great thing either. They might give you a loaner and kiss your ass but they charge you a lot for everything little thing. Oil change is $260 with a cabin air filter change out. Each dealer is a little different. BMW is getting to be a little better with me but overall I don't drive my car enough to take it in.
      08-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Brakes & Warranty

The brakes on my wife's '05 Outback were covered under warranty BUT the pads had to be worn down to 1 mm! Had to keep going back until they were there. BMW isn't the only one.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The dealership didn't do your rotors because they won't get reimbursed from BMWNA for the work. Since it doesn't cost you a dime for the work to begin with why the bitching?

As for the tires, you should've bought them somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
tyteco
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

OP,
I completely understand your frustration. I also took my car in yesterday for brakes. They are making this horrible squeaking sound at low speeds. So I schedule an appointment thinking that this problem will be fixed. Drop the car off and when I get back, they tell me that they didn't hear anything, and since brake pads are not below spec, there is nothing they could do. They just took measurements and reported the problem to BMW. Then he tells me that this is a common problem and that BMW is trying to isolate it between two sets of pads. (ok, so you just admitted that you know that there is a problem?)

I get ticked off because, if you know that there is a problem, FIX IT! I had to go into work late to drop the car off and leave early to pick it up, and if something would have been fixed I think it would have been worth it. But all I got was a free car wash and a "sorry nothing we can do, just yet".

Free Maintenance? What a joke.
Appreciate 0