E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New e90 owner..my list of engineering gaffes

08-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
DdB
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

New e90 owner..my list of engineering gaffes

New e90 owner here ('06 SG 330i with Sport, Premium and Step). Have been a BMW fan for years and driven several that belonged to others, but this is my first ownership experience. I have to say, that after getting over my initial giddiness, I'm less and less pleased with the design of the car. Here are a few aspects I've really come to dislike:

1) The sport seats. I know, that's heresy around these parts, but I'm about 6 feet tall, 215 lbs and wide across the torso. As I test drove cars, the fit was always snug, but now have really come to hate the fit of the seats. I thought I would adjust but have been driving the car for a couple weeks and my back just does not fit between the side bolsters in any comfortable way. I've tried hundreds of positions and adjustments, but the fact remains, the seats were designed for slim builds. I know many have talked about seat swaps, but has anyone actually done it with success?

2) Why does the steering wheel block the turn signal indicators and the top of the speedo when the wheel is adjusted to where many (most?) drivers would feel comfortable? Am I missing something?

3) The turn signal stalk operation is well....aggravating. I realize I may adjust, and I'm all for innovation, but why change convention when it's not necessary?

4) When I put the car in park and let go of the (foot) brake, the car lurches forward a few inches. I hope there's trick here that I'm missing, because passengers give me funny looks the first time they ride in the car and we park.

5) Not new news, but the run flats suck. I've got the Bridgestones and they are loud and harsh. If my tires were not brand new, I'd be replacing them in a heartbeat. Still may go that route.

6) I won't go into the cup holders as that's but the display on the radio, that's worth beating some more. Who doesn't wear polarized sunglasses these days? Thankfully, have read the fix others have used and hopeful that will solve my problem.

OK, there a few other minor quibbles but will stop there.

Still in love with the impressive stopping power and handling of the car (not much else turns in like a BMW), the flat torque curve and really enjoying the Logic 7.

Thoughts? Reactions? Advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

#3 You will get used to this in time. Now that I am used to it I love this for quick lane changes.

#5 My 2006 330i had the Bridgestones and yes they did suck. My 2008 335xi has the Continental Contiprocontact SSR all season tires. There is a world of difference in comfort and noise. With these new tires I don't know why anyone would complain about the runflat tires.

Enjoy your car, I loved my 2006 330i!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
#4 try pulling up the handbrake before letting the brake pedal go

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

#1. Not really an engineering issue. They just don't fit, just like I don't fit into size 8 shoes. I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board without sport seats that would love yours! You could trade someone and come out even financially.

#4. Engage the handbrake before you shut off the engine vs. after like the manual says. Still a bit odd though that the car would lurch.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

First off congrats on the new ride and wishing you good luck with it.

#2 - your problem probably is due to your height. I am the same height and have the same observation.

#5 - Conti's SSR definitely offer better ride.

#6 - this has been an issue for a long time even prior to the E9x series. iDrive solves the problem.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

those are not really engineering issues, more like pet peeves. And no, your pet peeves are nothing new, all of your peeves have been discussed ad nauseum.
      08-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

#1: Sorry to hear that. I'll admit, as a 5' 6" tall, 155lb guy, they fit me perfectly

#2: Again, adjusted for my size, the steering wheel does not block the speedo

#3: The turn signals drove me nuts at first too. But now I would not want to go back. I believe the new design is superior to the traditional design.

#4: I have a manual, so I can't comment directly. But that does not sound like normal behavior. If it was me, I would ask my service adviser.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdB View Post
1) The sport seats. hate the fit of the seats.

4) When I put the car in park and let go of the (foot) brake, the car lurches forward a few inches.

5) Not new news, but the run flats suck. I've got the Bridgestones and they are loud and harsh. If my tires were not brand new, I'd be replacing them in a heartbeat. Still may go that route.

... (not much else turns in like a BMW)
1) weight reduction? I had to lose a few pound to fit more comfortably into the seats in my '02 WRX (5'11" now 180lbs)....

4) pull up the parking brake. You are currently resting the weight of the car on the transmission internals. don't do that

5) The turn in feeling you get is due in no small part to the mega stiff sidewalls of the RFTs (the stiffness also causes the harshness). the tread pattern causes the loudness over some road surfaces. This is one area where you can't really have your cake and eat it too. If you go with another tire with similar performance, it will feel and sound the same. If you go with a quieter/softer tire you will lose turn in feel and grip. Maybe you won't notice these decreases in actual performance, if so then switch. I've personally accepted noise/harshness as a 'necessarily evil' you have to live with when you go with summer only performance tires
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

#4 - all automatics do that though if you don't use the parking/emergency brake. The car will roll a little bit until it hits the pin that locks the transmission.

#6 - I personally prefer MB's units with a standard keypad layout.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

engineering gaffes for me would be things like:

-improve quality control (reduce the number of defects introduced in each stage of production)
-improve product testing (devote more engineering resources to testing complete systems/cars instead of focusing solely on product development)
-improve feedback loop into design and production (the 335 fuel pump issue is an example of this)

as much as i love the power, handling and mpg of my 330i, i don't think i'll keep it too long after the warranty expires due to some of the persistent issues iv'e had...
      08-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
DdB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabimmer View Post
#4 try pulling up the handbrake before letting the brake pedal go
Thanks for all the responses thus far. Should have mentioned that I do pull the handbrake when I put the car in park. It may be the timing however. Will try experimenting with doing so before and after I shut the car off to see if I notice a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
DdB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown-Irish View Post
First off congrats on the new ride and wishing you good luck with it.

#5 - Conti's SSR definitely offer better ride.
Thanks. And will definitely keep the Conti's in mind once I am ready to replace the tires as you and others have recommended.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
DdB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
#1. Not really an engineering issue. They just don't fit, just like I don't fit into size 8 shoes. I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board without sport seats that would love yours! You could trade someone and come out even financially.
I hear you... and appreciate the analogy, but shoe sizes are not adjustable. I really like the overall design (and intent) the sport seats, just wish they had more range.

I may consider swapping seats, but still haven't heard of anyone doing so sucessfully. Perhaps I missed the right search terms, so anyone have a success story to share?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
DdB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post

#3: The turn signals drove me nuts at first too. But now I would not want to go back. I believe the new design is superior to the traditional design.
Glad to hear it! I'll remain hopeful that I, too, adjust in time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
DdB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
1) weight reduction? I had to lose a few pound to fit more comfortably into the seats in my '02 WRX (5'11" now 180lbs)....

5) The turn in feeling you get is due in no small part to the mega stiff sidewalls of the RFTs (the stiffness also causes the harshness). the tread pattern causes the loudness over some road surfaces. This is one area where you can't really have your cake and eat it too. If you go with another tire with similar performance, it will feel and sound the same. If you go with a quieter/softer tire you will lose turn in feel and grip. Maybe you won't notice these decreases in actual performance, if so then switch. I've personally accepted noise/harshness as a 'necessarily evil' you have to live with when you go with summer only performance tires
LOL! I could stand to lose a few, but it's actually the bottom of my rib cage and lats where the side bolsters hit me. Maybe I need the Pam Anderson surgery to have a few ribs removed

As for the tradeoff with summer only tires, I have run many in the past but never with such a tradeoff in harshness/noise. You do you raise a good point about sidewall stiffness - these are some LOW profile tires with the 18s.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

it's plug and play

Quote:
I may consider swapping seats, but still haven't heard of anyone doing so sucessfully. Perhaps I missed the right search terms, so anyone have a success story to share?
      08-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I love the sport seats. 6'3". They are comfortable driving cross-country, but they really shine when you are getting serious lateral Gs.

Auto boxes do weird things. The idle may be high with AC on. Try turning off AC before stopping (a good idea regardless), and experiment with your timing of the brake release/Park/EB.

I am happy with the view of the speedo etc. If it bugs you, try changing seat height.

I like the E9x turn signal, but I much prefer the E46 steering wheel buttons for cruise control.

+1 on the rfts. I replaced mine with extreme perf non-rfts and it was a wonderful transformation.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
6) I won't go into the cup holders as that's but the display on the radio, that's worth beating some more. Who doesn't wear polarized sunglasses these days?
Pilots do not wear polarized sunglasses for the very same reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

I'll lob out my ergonomic gaff opinion -- does anyone else have trouble seeing the indicator light confirming that your rain sensor is active for the wipers? Pretty minor, but it bothers me that I have to peer through the wheel to see if it's on, especially when it may, in fact, be raining, and the driver should focus on other things. Why put the light on the stalk?
      08-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Oh, and there is a simple solution to the polarized display, just a piece of diffuser tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Gaffes/Peeves

#2 I'm 5'8" and the wheel blocks the top of the gauges when set to my preference. I've compromised it's location so they're only half-blocked.

Rain-sensor LED should be elsewhere, period.

When wearing polarized lenses, tiliting one's head 90 degrees will allow the radio display to be seen. I try to do this only when I'm en route to the chiropractor.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
1) The sport seats. I know, that's heresy around these parts, but I'm about 6 feet tall, 215 lbs and wide across the torso. As I test drove cars, the fit was always snug, but now have really come to hate the fit of the seats. I thought I would adjust but have been driving the car for a couple weeks and my back just does not fit between the side bolsters in any comfortable way. I've tried hundreds of positions and adjustments, but the fact remains, the seats were designed for slim builds. I know many have talked about seat swaps, but has anyone actually done it with success?
I didn't get the sport package largely because of the seats. I test drove 3 different cars with sport seats and could never find a comfortable position in any of them. I find the regular seats to be more comforable and less restrictive. Most people think I'm crazy, but I think they're crazy so it all evens out.