BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Brian4000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i/2006 325i

Average mpg

Does anyone know how to show the average mpg on the dash instead of the miles to empty? My 325 had this feature and I really liked it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
sk0rchi
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 M3 CS, '23 G07 X7-40i

Range indicated by the fuel gauge is static until someone unlocks coding to reconfigure the cluster layout.

Fuel economy can be kept on in the tach side of the cluster by pressing the 'BC' button (top button of left/signal stalk) until it cycles to that widget.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0rchi View Post
Range indicated by the fuel gauge is static until someone unlocks coding to reconfigure the cluster layout.

Fuel economy can be kept on in the tach side of the cluster by pressing the 'BC' button (top button of left/signal stalk) until it cycles to that widget.
I'm picking up my new X5 this Friday, and from what I've read online, and experienced in a static car in the showroom, I'm finding the new iDrive 7.0 very user-unfriendly, especially with regards to the journey data.

When you say the fuel economy can be shown in the tach side of the instrument cluster. The fuel economy based on what? I can see in the control display (iDrive screen) there are four sets of data to choose from (since start of journey, since refuel, ex works, and individual). Which data is shown in the instrument cluster?

Is it possible to reset the "start of journey data" manually? I believe it resets if the car has been switched off for more than four hours. What happens if I want to reset the data and the car has only been off for three hours? Are you saying it cannot be manually reset?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The fuel information that is displayed is based on the trip data that you have selected. There are four data buckets that can be displayed. There is an individual bucket that you can reset whenever you need to, the other three buckets are automatic. For instance, when we take off on our trip on Thursday I will reset the individual bucket and that will be used to track the info for the month we are on the road. Each day we are driving I will look at the start of trip bucket if I want information for that day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The fuel information that is displayed is based on the trip data that you have selected. There are four data buckets that can be displayed. There is an individual bucket that you can reset whenever you need to, the other three buckets are automatic. For instance, when we take off on our trip on Thursday I will reset the individual bucket and that will be used to track the info for the month we are on the road. Each day we are driving I will look at the start of trip bucket if I want information for that day.
Thanks for the info.

This is really awful though. So instead of having TWO trips that I could manually reset any time I want (on-board computer & Journey Computer), I now have one (just the "individual" one). I imagine the "refueling" trip bucket will only reset if you put a significant amount of fuel in. If you're just topping up then it won't. And the "start of trip" bucket only resets. after four hours of being idle? Why?!!

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why do they mess with things constantly and make them worse?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I do like the different buckets and refer to them at different times but I agree with you, there should be at least two individual buckets. I would hope the second one shows up in a future update.
Appreciate 1
mofomat791.50
      07-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

I would not complain if there were 2 individual buckets. But the current 4 buckets work fine for me also. The refueling bucket is the one I use most often, and on previous vehicles that didn't have a refueling bucket, that is primarily how I used the user resettable one. The G05 having the refueling bucket that automatically resets when I refuel has been very nice for me, something I would categorize as an improvement and not something made worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #8
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
I would not complain if there were 2 individual buckets. But the current 4 buckets work fine for me also. The refueling bucket is the one I use most often, and on previous vehicles that didn't have a refueling bucket, that is primarily how I used the user resettable one. The G05 having the refueling bucket that automatically resets when I refuel has been very nice for me, something I would categorize as an improvement and not something made worse.
Would it be too much to ask to make the "start of journey" resettable? That's all it would take to make me happy. Why should you have to have the car off for more than four hours for it to reset to zero?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Would it be too much to ask to make the "start of journey" resettable? That's all it would take to make me happy. Why should you have to have the car off for more than four hours for it to reset to zero?
That part makes sense to me. It allows for stopping to eat, making a quick visit, etc. and then getting on with the trip.

If it was resettable then it would be the second individual bucket.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That part makes sense to me. It allows for stopping to eat, making a quick visit, etc. and then getting on with the trip.

If it was resettable then it would be the second individual bucket.
I drive regularly from mainland Europe to the north of the UK. I'm doing that very journey tonight, in fact. The trip is split into two by the one hour it takes to cross under the English Channel via the Channel Tunnel on board a car train. I would like to use the "start of journey" bucket for both legs, but this would be impossible as the break in the middle is not four hours.

The issue is that BMW have changed the option you had in the previous version of iDrive where you could check mark a box if you wanted the journey computer to automatically reset. Just give us that option. They make the "individual" bucket manually resettable. Why not make the "journey" manually resettable? There's no reason for it. It's just poor design.

It's the same for the "refuelling" bucket. It won't reset automatically if you only just top up a full tank a little bit, yet there are many times I do this for various reasons. Again, making this manually overidable would be very simple to do, but they don't. It seems like this new iDrive hasn't been thought through at all.
Appreciate 0