BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Home Link Garage Door Opener Programming Issues

Since I received my X5 3 weeks ago I've been trying to program the Home Link garage door opener. I was convinced the Home Link in my vehicle was not working as I couldn't for the life of me get it programmed.

Then today I was trying again (after listening to a pre-recorded how-to via the BMW Genius hotline) and was somehow able to program 1 of my 2 garage door openers successfully. I then tried to program my 2nd garage door opener but now again not having any luck (both of my garage door openers are exactly the same brand/model).

Has anyone else experienced difficulties getting Home Link programmed? Any tips from successful programming appreciated...
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
Since I received my X5 3 weeks ago I've been trying to program the Home Link garage door opener. I was convinced the Home Link in my vehicle was not working as I couldn't for the life of me get it programmed.

Then today I was trying again (after listening to a pre-recorded how-to via the BMW Genius hotline) and was somehow able to program 1 of my 2 garage door openers successfully. I then tried to program my 2nd garage door opener but now again not having any luck (both of my garage door openers are exactly the same brand/model).

Has anyone else experienced difficulties getting Home Link programmed? Any tips from successful programming appreciated...
I programmed mine last weekend. I had to have the manual open to follow the steps, and then press the "learn" button on the motor inside the garage to sync it. It is fiddly but possible.

Are you seeing the flashing LEDs as per the description in the manual at each step and importantly do you see the green rapid flashing sequence to signify successful coding?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

Yeah, it's a pain. Took me three tries to get both my doors to program (with the manual open in my lap) and I also had to go hit the sync button on my openers to get it to work.

Once I got it working I really didn't look at the led in the mirror again until a couple of days ago, I happened to notice that the LED flashes a bunch of times (and rapidly) upon activation. Is that correct behavior?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
I programmed mine last weekend. I had to have the manual open to follow the steps, and then press the "learn" button on the motor inside the garage to sync it. It is fiddly but possible.

Are you seeing the flashing LEDs as per the description in the manual at each step and importantly do you see the green rapid flashing sequence to signify successful coding?
Yes, I see flashing orange LED when in coding mode. When I was able to program button #1, it changed to a fast flashing LED (green I think but not 100% sure). Now, when I press button #1 it lights up solid green and my door opens.

When I try to program button #2 or #3, I get the slow flashing orange LED, but it never changes to a fast flash (this is the same issue I had with button #1 multiple times, but somehow it eventually programmed successfully). I'm going to keep trying to program my 2nd garage door opener but it's been a very frustrating experience so far...nothing like the other 2 BMWs I've had (both I was able to program the same garage door openers with no issues).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
Daniel-J
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E53 X5

Which ones did you manage to program? Can you name the model? I'm building my garage and planning to buy one of these door openers, if that's possible, I'd like to program it with 1 key.

Last edited by Daniel-J; 12-03-2019 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
Which ones did you manage to program? Can you name the model? I'm building my garage and planning to buy one of these door openers, if that's possible, I'd like to program it with 1 key.
I've programmed nearly 1,000 garage doors for my customers.
Sommer is a GREAT garage door but utilizes something called a Bomber signal.
a PAIN to program to a homelink.
Genie can be a bit aggravating because their clickers just suck to send the signal to the homelink device.
Good ol' liftmaster is my personnel favorite. Easy to program and very reliable.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      12-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I've found the programming instructions from car manufacturers to almost never be correct. The best resource is probably the online site for the door manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
wjmb
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G05 x40i, T-X

I'm also having a hard time with the garage door programming. I have a rolling code style system- followed the directions in the manual and a few youtube videos which basically are the same drill of clearing the codes and putting my opener in learn mode then hitting one of the mirror buttons three times. No luck at all and for whatever reason everytime I try it my garage door remotes are getting wiped and I have to reprogram them. What gives? I did the same method on my now long gone MDX and it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I have this thread saved from 3 years ago and the Homelink steps outlined has worked on all my BMWs including the new G05:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=20680959

Appreciate 2
      12-31-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmb View Post
I'm also having a hard time with the garage door programming. I have a rolling code style system- followed the directions in the manual and a few youtube videos which basically are the same drill of clearing the codes and putting my opener in learn mode then hitting one of the mirror buttons three times. No luck at all and for whatever reason everytime I try it my garage door remotes are getting wiped and I have to reprogram them. What gives? I did the same method on my now long gone MDX and it worked fine.

For rolling code system, hold the button on the remote, close to the mirror then hold the button you want to be programmed. when the light blinks, run to the garbage opener and press learn, then run back to your car and just hold the button you wanted to program again for 5 seconds then release, then hold again, until it's working, and you'll know it's work, usually the second "hold" will set up the link. It'll take you literately 1 min or less to do this, hopefully this will work for you
Appreciate 2
wjmb6.00
JTG160.00
      01-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
wjmb
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G05 x40i, T-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6M50i View Post
Quote:

For rolling code system, hold the button on the remote, close to the mirror then hold the button you want to be programmed. when the light blinks, run to the garbage opener and press learn, then run back to your car and just hold the button you wanted to program again for 5 seconds then release, then hold again, until it's working, and you'll know it's work, usually the second "hold" will set up the link. It'll take you literately 1 min or less to do this, hopefully this will work for you
All, thanks for the replies and help; the manual should be clarified as it sort of has that procedure but it's disjointed.

This forum is good stuff...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All, thanks for the replies and help; the manual should be clarified as it sort of has that procedure but it's disjointed.

This forum is good stuff...

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
One anyone have experience with a Genie 2028? I had to replace my old unit today and I am perplexed by the language in this post, the X5 manual, and the Genie manual for Home Link.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:45 AM   #14
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
One anyone have experience with a Genie 2028? I had to replace my old unit today and I am perplexed by the language in this post, the X5 manual, and the Genie manual for Home Link.

That model should operate exactly the same, did you try to program it as in my description? Here is a video in case I wasn't clear enough:

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Thanks, X6M50i The video + Genie manual gave me a straight line to follow.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
jwvalek
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330, Toyota Tundra, BMW X5

I had trouble too. I don't know exactly what I did, but I know it wasn't what the owners manual said. When I stopped looking at the manual I got it to program the first time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I'm also having trouble with the G05 and my Novoport/novoferm garage door opener. I've done the procedure many times and now it opens sometimes. I have to keep pressing the button on the mirror for about 5 to 10 seconds until it opens/closes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for this. Worked like a charm on my '19 M850i and '19 X3.
      06-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #19
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

If this is of any help, here is my approach to programming homelink in the car. Could be out of date at this point.

-Older openers that have physical DIP switches to change the code. You hold the remote within a few inches from the mirror and click the button on the opener remote a few times until it syncs.

-Newer openers that operate on rolling codes. Two-step process. I first sync up the remote & homelink button using the same process as the DIP switch remote. Once complete, you then press the Learn button on your opener, and proceed with pressing the previously trained button on your mirror to get the two in sync.

My understanding is that with a rolling code opener, you first have to tell it *how* to talk to your opener (hence the remote pairing), then you establish the trust between your homelink mirror and the opener itself (via the learn button). Could be wrong, but it's worked pretty well for me in my cars.
      06-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Also of note is that Homelink requires a separate box for some older cars like my 2008 Toyota Avalon. I have a new Garage Door Opener and it refused to pair with my Avalon but worked fine with the BMW. I had to purchase a HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Kit and hook it up to the opener in order to get it to work with Avalon. http://www.homelinkestore.com/Produc...ridge-Kit.html
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #21
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

I just program a brand new chamberlain garage door opener with security+ 2.0 last month. It was so simple. First I press and hold the button I want to program until light start flashing then press open on the remote.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #22
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
Thank you for this. Worked like a charm on my '19 M850i and '19 X3.

Glad I could help! Programming over 10 BMWs in the last few years made me a pro at this

p.s. Love that M850i, sexy ride!
Appreciate 0