BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Jaguar F-Pace SVR?

I was fairly solidly set on the X4M (perhaps the X3M), but have been researching the F-Pace SVR. Fantastic motor, V8, more power, great sound, and more space. On the subjective end, to my eye better exterior looks and great looking seats. There is no comparison test out yet, but I suppose we can expect the M to be somewhat better handling. However, the Jag has received uniformly stellar handling reviews, so any difference likely would be only in bragging rights and Nurburgring times. X4M instrumentation and infotainment probably better, although the Jag's gets good reviews. I have had multiple M cars (and race an e36 M3), and never have had a Jag. What am I missing? (Before the X4M/X3M were announced I was thinking MB GLC63 (bonkers motor and sound)).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
I was fairly solidly set on the X4M (perhaps the X3M), but have been researching the F-Pace SVR. Fantastic motor, V8, more power, great sound, and more space. On the subjective end, to my eye better exterior looks and great looking seats. There is no comparison test out yet, but I suppose we can expect the M to be somewhat better handling. However, the Jag has received uniformly stellar handling reviews, so any difference likely would be only in bragging rights and Nurburgring times. X4M instrumentation and infotainment probably better, although the Jag's gets good reviews. I have had multiple M cars (and race an e36 M3), and never have had a Jag. What am I missing? (Before the X4M/X3M were announced I was thinking MB GLC63 (bonkers motor and sound)).
You raise many valid high points on the Jag, but I see no mention of acceleration. Despite the horsepower and weight advantages which should make such a comparison obvious, have you noticed the 0-60 times of both vehicles? That alone makes the choice obvious for my needs. That said, different strokes for different folks.

Ciao
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
You raise many valid high points on the Jag, but I see no mention of acceleration. Despite the horsepower and weight advantages which should make such a comparison obvious, have you noticed the 0-60 times of both vehicles? That alone makes the choice obvious for my needs. That said, different strokes for different folks.

Ciao
We have to wait for the instrumented media acceleration tests. My bet is that given Jag’s claimed 0-60 time of 4.1, the reality will be in the 3.8 range (which one or two customers already have duplicated). In any case, I can’t imagine making a few tenths difference in a drag race that likely would never happen the deciding factor but, like you say, different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      05-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
I would be very sceptical about the reliability and running costs of the Jaguar - compared with the BMW.
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

I'm in the same boat. You definitely get a lot more bang for your buck. The interior in the svr is amazing. Buckets feel close to my m3.

End of the day if you're planning on buying, I think it's safer to go with the x3m based on reliability. But if you're leasing, you cant go wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

The SVR and the X3 M were my top two choices. I put a deposit down on the SVR due to limited availability, and that is what I was leaning towards anyway. I think the X3 M looks amazing but I think the SVR is probably the best looking SUV on the market. I was concerned about reliability too but at least it was covered for 5 years/60k.

Not that anyone asked but my current ride is old and issues were popping up so I had to get a new vehicle sooner than later. I decided to get a used X5 M. Shipping today, should have it next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi,
I would be very sceptical about the reliability and running costs of the Jaguar - compared with the BMW.
Cheers
Steve
Perceived reliability: Pro-BMW, Con-Jaguar...does not necessarily equate to actual reality. Case in point, my 2015 M3 had a lot of problems over just two years, but my 27 month old Alfa Giulia QV has had zero issues over a longer period of time despite popular opinion (at least on these forums). Reality is often quite different than perception. I’d reserve judgment on claiming the X3M is superior to the Jaguar in the reliability dept. BMW is not exactly known for flawless vehicle launches either. Just saying...

BTW...signed up for the BMW M Town Tour in Massachusetts today. Drove a 1.25 hours in Memorial Day traffic to drive an X3M...only to find out that BMW did not supply the vehicle despite taking reservations to drive it. Apparently, they couldn’t find the time to notify people to avoid completely wasting their time. Drove an M2 Competition though. Nice car, but super cheap interior. Vinyl dashboard, hard plastics galore, lower end leather, etc.

Last edited by mcc3456; 05-24-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
The SVR and the X3 M were my top two choices. I put a deposit down on the SVR due to limited availability, and that is what I was leaning towards anyway. I think the X3 M looks amazing but I think the SVR is probably the best looking SUV on the market. I was concerned about reliability too but at least it was covered for 5 years/60k.

Not that anyone asked but my current ride is old and issues were popping up so I had to get a new vehicle sooner than later. I decided to get a used X5 M. Shipping today, should have it next week.
Great choice on the X5M. I am able to wait some months (at least as of now), so will investigate both. Very few SVRs around and my local dealer won’t go below MSRP if ordering one to spec, so will talk with some others. (The MB dealer was offering something around 7% off on the GLC63. Have not yet inquired about specific pricing with BMW dealer.)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Do you know GLC63 lease numbers by any chance
I do not. Planning to buy. I tend to keep cars for a while.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      05-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Are you talking the 2020 GLC63 or the current version. I feel like the new version has everything except for one thing. Hugely subjective but I am not that excited about the styling of the MB. Definitely more aggressive than the 300 but it just doesn't do it for me. Outside of that, is there anything not to like?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Very fair point. The main reason I like the X3M looks better than the M40i is the more extensive use of shadowline trim, which is only on the C model anyway. The GLC63 looks a ton better than the GLC300 no question about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Are you talking the 2020 GLC63 or the current version. I feel like the new version has everything except for one thing. Hugely subjective but I am not that excited about the styling of the MB. Definitely more aggressive than the 300 but it just doesn't do it for me. Outside of that, is there anything not to like?
Well I personally couldn't live with the TomTom style display, which looks like they added it after they finished the interior design and noticed that they forgot to integrate a screen. Okay some people maybe don't care about that but it would most probably bother me.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Ok you got me there. I don't like the TomTom style display either. However, I don't think the display is integrated all that well in the X3 M either. SVR yes. Most BMWs including the vehicle I purchased, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
bobbmw
Rep
Drives: Old

It's a shame about the tire selection, I wonder what the numbers would be with decent "summer" rubber? I am cross shopping the X3M C, why wouldn't I? this (F-Pace SVR), the GLC 63 (S) and maybe even the Quattro Formaggi Stelvio :-; . It's a great time to be alive.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jagu...t-test-review/
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #15
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbmw View Post
It's a shame about the tire selection, I wonder what the numbers would be with decent "summer" rubber? I am cross shopping the X3M C, why wouldn't I? this (F-Pace SVR), the GLC 63 (S) and maybe even the Quattro Formaggi Stelvio :-; . It's a great time to be alive.

So true. I do intend to resist the temptation for minuscule discrepancies in at-the-limits performance tests to play any real role in the decision. (And this is coming from a guy who has raced with BMW Club Racing for years.) We are not buying an SUV for that. Every day comfort, usability, fun and grin-inducement is more important than which one is .1 faster around some random cone course. For me, the SVR is winning at the moment, but that's having driven only the GLC and the Macan Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Update -- During a work trip near a dealer that happened to have an SVR, I stopped in and was offered a test drive. Who am I to refuse? The following are impressions from that brief drive (which did not include any real turns, so cannot evaluate handling):

(1) Gobs of power, but that already is clear. No lag.
(2) Exhaust sound aggressive and fun. Toggling the exhaust button does change the volume somewhat, but not dramatically. I would not put the sound on par with a specifically chosen after-market exhaust (when the owner can choose his preferred tone from various manufacturers), but it is far preferable to a regular factory exhaust. I think I may like the sound of the GLC63 with the performance exhaust a little better, but it is a close call.
(3) Firm and seemingly very comfortable front seats, easily adjustable to a comfortable position. Steering wheel's electric adjust also allows driver to place it as wanted. Seat cooling works well.
(4) Rear seat space more than adequate and significantly more than the competition (MB GLC, BMW X3/4M, Macan). I am 6'2", adjusted the driver seat to my normal driving position and then sat behind it. There was still noticeable space between my knees and the driver seat back. Back seat is somewhat upright, but should be a comfortable place for two passengers, and fine for three on a short trip. Rear seats fold down easily and mostly flat. Noticeably more spacious than the X3/X4.
(5) Infotainment display is large, clear and responds quickly. The scuttlebutt is that it will be updated with dual touch screens, but what is there now works very well and looks good.
(6) I would prefer a heavier steering feel. (I am used to BMW.)
(7) Visibility not the best with a somewhat high beltline, but I am sure that also was a factor of driving an unfamiliar $90,000 car not belonging to me in an unfamiliar area.
(8) Center arm rest is comfortable, but the storage compartment under it is very small.
(9) The roads were smooth, but I could tell that the ride was supple and, as the early reviewers indicated, seems to strike the right balance between handling and comfort. (This car had the 22" wheels.)
(10) I compared the upgraded sound system with another car with the standard system, and the $450 upgrade seems worth it.
(11) Transmission finds gears quickly. I sampled manual shifts with the paddles and the shifts were quick and downshifts skipping two or three gears were executed without a complaint. This is no SMG or DSG, but I foresee no reason for complaints here.
(12) The entire interior is executed very well. The front seats are beautiful. The dash flows nicely and the controls seem intuitive and easy to operate. I prefer this over the GLC's stuck-on ipad-like display (with which I am well familiar since it is on my wife's MB CLA45, and which will be replaced in the 2021 GLC). The X4M's dash is more modern than the GLC's, but I am less a fan of the trapezoidal shapes there. The SVR's configurable instruments look nice, although the animated tach needle seemed a little slow and doesn't work as well as an analog one. The headliner feels luxurious. The pano roof is huge and has a separate control for the mostly black-out screen.

In sum, I like it. Hope to be able to drive a X4M (or X3M) at some point soon to compare. I want to like the BMW. I expect it may feel more taut. I doubt it will feel (or be) faster. I do like the look of the SVR more than either the X3 or X4, and for me I think the SVR may strike the better balance with respect to size for every day use and long trips. Jury is still out.
Appreciate 4
      06-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Jaguar does offer a 5 year warranty and I think maintenance is included in that, so even if it does have some hiccups you won't have to pay for it...

review by motortrend

0-60 3.7
1/4 mile 12.0

so slower than C&D tested the GLC, Stelvio, and Macan competitors but also a different magazine and different conditions so that doesn't tell the full story.

what was very interesting to me is the curb weight, Motortrend reports it at 4,632 lbs while Jaguarusa.com says 4,395 lbs

now how does that work? With BMW I could see why there is a difference between their 4,620 reported in US and 4,340 elsewhere because of standard equipment (like sunroof, makes a big difference), but Jaguar USA sunroof is standard, so where does that extra 237 lbs come from?

either way BMW is still overweight compared to Stelvio and still weighs more than GLC and Macan.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #18
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Jaguar does offer a 5 year warranty and I think maintenance is included in that, so even if it does have some hiccups you won't have to pay for it...

review by motortrend

0-60 3.7
1/4 mile 12.0

so slower than C&D tested the GLC, Stelvio, and Macan competitors but also a different magazine and different conditions so that doesn't tell the full story.

what was very interesting to me is the curb weight, Motortrend reports it at 4,632 lbs while Jaguarusa.com says 4,395 lbs

now how does that work? With BMW I could see why there is a difference between their 4,620 reported in US and 4,340 elsewhere because of standard equipment (like sunroof, makes a big difference), but Jaguar USA sunroof is standard, so where does that extra 237 lbs come from?

either way BMW is still overweight compared to Stelvio and still weighs more than GLC and Macan.
Difference in weight may be with driver vs. without driver. As for the acceleration numbers, I may just be getting old (or maybe have spent enough time in race cars on track) that a tenth here or there in a daily driver SUV just doesn't matter to me. All of these cars are silly quick. The SVR is faster to 60 and the 1/4-mile than my e60 M5 was, and the X4M will be also. I am going more by feel, visceral appeal and every day usability.

I love the Stelvio sound, like its exterior design, hate the dash and woefully outdated electronics, and I no longer have a dealer in my city, so no go.

I like the Macan design inside and out. But the relative lack of power is very apparent. My wife and I drove the GLC63 (not Coupe, so the non-S 469-hp version) and the Macan Turbo back to back and she said the Macan felt slow by comparison. She was right. The Macan's handling is stellar, but the differences appear only near the limits which will be explored almost never. Also the GLC makes fantastic sounds with the optional exhaust. The Macan also feels the smallest inside.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #19
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I actually recant my previous statement about the 0-60 times being my deciding factor for choosing the X3MC (week 31 build!) over the SVR. I remembered having read that the SVR was almost a second slower, at slightly under 5 secs, which put it on par with my previous M40i. Maybe I misremembered it, maybe I read a review of a previous year SVR which was slower. Regardless, if the difference now is .1 sec then it is inconsequential. Choose the best for you. I placed my bet on the X3MC after my very satisfying 12mo experience with the M40i. Cheers!
Appreciate 0