05-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I live not far away (28km) from a town in Canada named Paris. Went for a drive with the wife yesterday, she wanted to go there, so I obviously said "Hey BMW, go to Paris". To its credit, it did find it, but it also was proposing a 6K km drive across the ocean .

This was just humorous, of course. But it's a consistent occurrence for me to say "Hey BMW, go to McDonalds" and the nav's first and second screens (I am not wasting time searching beyond that) are filled with Texas, California, and Missouri McDonalds, each a few thousand km away rather than the one two blocks away.

The nav doesn't seem to have any concept of "sort by distance" nor any rational real-life limits to its search. This, besides making it completely useless for such purposes (the voice is there for speed and convenience, not a half hour extended worldwide search session), likely also slows it down as it is always searching well outside area of any rational interest.

Sigh.

PS I case anyone asks, I do have "Around Me" set in POI Category Search options.
Attached Images

06-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
No one seemed interested in this discussion, but I'll try again.

1st pic below shows what the nav found based on typed search using "Near Me". Not impressive, but maybe not quite the end of the world.

But it gets better: 2nd pics show where I did the search — that bank is nowhere to be found in the search and it's been there for at least 20 years under the same name.

Oh, but it gets even better: 3rd picture show what happens for the same search when you do a voice search for the same phrase, while sitting beside one.

Summary: iDrive 7 nav search is completely useless and borderline psychotic.
Attached Images

06-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I hate the nav in the car. I’ve got my tomtom stuck to the windshield and it will stay there.

I know a new nav system is a bit of a learning curve, but it shouldn’t take an advanced degree to get it to work smoothly. My first experience was on my drive home from the dealer. I didn’t have my other nav. We have bad traffic issues on fridays, so I kept turning off trying to get the nav to redirect me. I think I had to stop twice because I got so turned around.

And hello BMW, no matter what I ask it, it wants to find a nav point. “Taking you to seat massage, Maryland.”

It finds that stuff just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
You got me going now. I was trying to get to an auto zone store, which I knew was on the main road. I had given it the ADDRESS. It took me on a long wind around the mall and I dunno where else we would’ve gone. My mother-in-law was with me and got a good laugh out of it.

Finally i saw the pep boys and went in there. Auto zone was across on the other side of the highway. I hate that nav.
Appreciate 0