BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Does having the valves always open fix the weed-wacker sound?

05-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Does having the valves always open fix the weed-wacker sound?

I always drive my M2C in Sport+ steering and engine with MDM on. I have this setting saved as M1 and turn it on as soon as I start the car. Regardless, if I get on the throttle at all during the first few minutes, it sounds like a weed wacker (or maybe a sick cat).

Is this a function of the valves being closed for a few minutes or is it something else, like the exhaust being cold? I'm considering the BMS OBDII Can Flap Module and wanted to know if this would fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

I warm my car up before hitting my M1 button. I think it sounds great, just too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

99% sure that it's from a cold exhaust.
Same thing happens in efficient mode if the car is off for 30-45 mins. The engine retains some healthy heat but the exhaust had time to cool: You get some raspy sound when you rev up but in efficient you only notice above 4000rpm or if the windows are down.

I actually like the sound as it reminds me of the old E46 rasp... though I recall that everyone else hated that. Maybe I just have bad taste... or maybe I enjoy yard work.
Appreciate 0