E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Run Flat Opinion...

08-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
Run Flat Opinion...

I read a lot in these threads the rant about the ride quality and the road noise of Run flats...I know my 335 is still on order, so I haven't really tried a 35 profile run flat. although I do have it on our 520d. Its Good Year run flats.

I have to say that despite all the ride quality issues and the road noise, I still would prefer run flat tires. I was once on my way home from a long trip of about 4 hours, doing it at night and passing through not so safe places when the Run Flat indicators turned on.

The car felt normal, and driving it was still normal...probably because it was a slow air leak, and I did not notice its gradual deflation...however, I was able to safely get home in the same comfort and performance as without the light. In fact without the light, I would have probably not notice anything! Because of this experience, I am very much happy with the RFT tires that were fitted in the car.

Sure, there are noise and ride issues. But the fact that I am alive, and did not have to stop and change my tire in the bad part of the city...I think this is priceless. I did not even have to break sweat or worry at all! The next day dealer fixed it for free too!