BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Xpel or 3M Paint protection film?

06-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

Xpel or 3M Paint protection film?

Anyone considering paint protection film for their new Z4? I will be looking into either Xpel or 3M brands for the front bumper, full hood, and front fenders. It is a little pricey, but so is the Z, and where I live it is easy to get chips in the paint. It’s my understanding paint protection film does a good job preventing the chips. These films will “self-heal” minor chips (not in the paint that they protect, but in the film itself). I plan to keep my new Z4 a long time and want to keep it looking nice a long time. I’ve never purchased paint protection film but I have done some research about them. Of course, I would have it professionally installed. Who has experience with paint protection film and what do you think about it?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I have Xpel on my Jaguar and our GLC43AMG and couldn't recommend it more. It isn't cheap but neither is repainting a car and I find that having the film makes me far more relaxed, greatly reducing the worry of chips and stone damage.

I was just going to start making some calls as I don't see any pre-cut kits for the G29.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
This thread prompted me to call; our local shop is doing their first G29 as we speak - he said they'd have it all figured out by the time I get there in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
This thread prompted me to call; our local shop is doing their first G29 as we speak - he said they'd have it all figured out by the time I get there in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Dave
Good to know. That's consistent with what one of the more popular Xpel shops in Denver told me. They said they would have no problem doing a 2020 Z4. This shop does both 3M and Xpel but my guess is they make more money with Xpel. That's the brand they promote. Do you have any concerns about how difficult it might be to remove (say, once it get old and needs to be replaced or if the vehicle needs body work due to an accident)?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I have removed some once from the headlight of my truck....and it had been on there for 10 years - it was a bit of a pain but came off with some heat and no drama.....cleaning the glue residue was tedious but no issues. Of course the companies all insist that it comes off no problem and without any worry of paint damage. I don't plan on worrying about it and I have some clearbra products on some of my fleet vehicles that have been on for 16 years and it's still holding up fine - I can't see needing to replace it unless/until the vehicle needs a paint job anyway.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Dave, Thanks for the info related to your history with paint protection film. That's reassuring to know it can actually last that long and I bet their latest formulas are even better. It's good to know it can be removed without too much trouble. One final question: How much of your new Z4 are you going to protect (ie. the whole car? or, I assume, more probably, the bumper, full hood, front vendors, any more?)? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I'm going to talk to them about that. I'll probably do the same as I did on my F type - full hood, front bumper/facia, mirrors, rockers and a little pce behind the rear tires. I need to look at the Z4 again with an eye towards what might get chipped up.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
rkiger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

My Z4 M40i came with the "Paint Protection Film Level 1" option. That includes film protection around the door handles, door panel side, top of rear bumper just below the trunk lid loading area and lower rocker panel area just in front of the rear tires.
Appreciate 2
gblansten1913.00
      06-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkiger View Post
My Z4 M40i came with the "Paint Protection Film Level 1" option. That includes film protection around the door handles, door panel side, top of rear bumper just below the trunk lid loading area and lower rocker panel area just in front of the rear tires.
I assume that was an option and not a standard feature. Was it factory or dealer installed? Lots of dealers like to sell paint protection film. Some will install it themselves or contract it out. There are a number of brands out there but it is my understanding, xpel, 3m and one other (I forget) are considered the best. I also understand it is important to have a competent installer. Interesting you didn't mention having it installed on the front bumper area. That's an area I would expect to get a lot of paint chips (over time) without the film.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

all recommendations above good from friends who have used film - hood and front/bumper always the areas hardest hit. for the first time might do valence/bumper. I've also had very good luck with Zaino (3 coats twice per year) to let the little stuff slide off versus the bigger rocks which Zaino wont handle. This is recent pic of my 2007 Z4 M courtesy of the guy who just bought it in Seattle - I was original owner and aside from chips on the plastic valence on the very bottom of the car the paint was in awesome shape even with 95K miles on it and Zaino really worked well. Zaino gives an amazing shine too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedbay; 06-16-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Thanks. That car looks really good but I'm probably going with paint protection film in critical areas. There are lots of options but I want to minimize the chips.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

in retrospect I would have done the lower valence w film maybe a bit more....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
I assume that was an option and not a standard feature. Was it factory or dealer installed? Lots of dealers like to sell paint protection film. Some will install it themselves or contract it out. There are a number of brands out there but it is my understanding, xpel, 3m and one other (I forget) are considered the best. I also understand it is important to have a competent installer. Interesting you didn't mention having it installed on the front bumper area. That's an area I would expect to get a lot of paint chips (over time) without the film.
I picked up my M40i yesterday and there is no protection option and there is factory film in front of the rear wheels (I'll have to check the other places) and they didn't add anything to it.....they did try to sell me a third party film but I told them I would deal with that myself.

cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #14
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my M40i yesterday and there is no protection option and there is factory film in front of the rear wheels (I'll have to check the other places) and they didn't add anything to it.....they did try to sell me a third party film but I told them I would deal with that myself.

cheers,
Dave
Interesting. I wonder if others have noticed it on their new Zs. Is it possible it is only for the Canadian market? When you have time, let me know if you have it in other locations and which third party film you decide to use. By the way, your new Z looks great. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #15
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
Interesting. I wonder if others have noticed it on their new Zs. Is it possible it is only for the Canadian market? When you have time, let me know if you have it in other locations and which third party film you decide to use. By the way, your new Z looks great. Congratulations!
Thanks and anything is possible; I'll take a check tomorrow to see if it has factory applied film anywhere else.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I washed the car for the first time yesterday and didn't see any factory film except in front of the rear wheels as I mentioned earlier. .....I'm thinking they may have to remove that before doing the XPel....we'll see, I'll try to get in to see them this week.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
I washed the car for the first time yesterday and didn't see any factory film except in front of the rear wheels as I mentioned earlier. .....I'm thinking they may have to remove that before doing the XPel....we'll see, I'll try to get in to see them this week.

Dave
Thanks for checking. I'll be interested in how it goes for you with Xpel.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
booked the car for the 3rd. They are going to do the full front and hood, door handle area, inside sills, full rockers and a pce behind the rear wheels.

I've used these guys before; they are good and they do all the work for the local BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Porsche dealers. ...they had a brand new Ford GT on the lift when I was there!

Oh, they said they wash the car and do any paint correction prior to installing the film; with 148kms on the car, I'm hoping there isn't anything much they need to do.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
..oh, and they said they will remove that little pce of factory film just in front of the rear wheels before they start. They also advised against doing the cerium grey bits.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
booked the car for the 3rd. They are going to do the full front and hood, door handle area, inside sills, full rockers and a pce behind the rear wheels.

I've used these guys before; they are good and they do all the work for the local BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Porsche dealers. ...they had a brand new Ford GT on the lift when I was there!

Oh, they said they wash the car and do any paint correction prior to installing the film; with 148kms on the car, I'm hoping there isn't anything much they need to do.

Cheers,
Dave
Sounds like a plan and you have an excellent installer. I think we have a good one here in Denver, Co too. Let me know what you think after you pick it up. I also appreciate knowing what you are getting done.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #21
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I dropped off my car yesterday and it should be ready this afternoon so I'll update with my thoughts. Hopefully there wasn't any chips and the paint correction was minor...

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 07-04-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Picked up the car and it looks great; no problems or paint issues. Unfortunately it was raining so it was a bit hard to see exact details. Total cost was just over $2,100 CAN including all taxes....to do the entire front "fender" and rocker added $500.00. They do offer free inspection and repair for as long as I own the car and suggested bringing it in once every year or two, depending on usage. I can breath a bit easier going on our little road trip next weekend, now that this is done.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0