BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Interior color change. Experience with white?

Ordered the X5 45e a few months back with Cognac interior.

Production starts in August as a 2020 model.
Got word from dealership that they cancelled cognac for 2020.

Sales rep tries to push me towards the coffee interior but I'm not convinced. I find it to dark.

The only colors available are black, coffee and white in various trims (vernesca, merino, individual, contrast stitching). Not real happy with any of these.

Anyone experience with the white interior? Daily use, I wear a lot of jeans.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I have the Vernasca white leather. Love it. I’ve only had the car for about 10 days, but I live in a hot climate and wanted light colors (mineral white exterior).

I have a 2011 Highlander with light leather. I bought some leather cleaner and wipes in anticipation of having white leather in my X5, and used them to clean the Highlander seats. I’ve never cleaned them before.

They are still in good cosmetic shape. Some dug-in grime upon close inspection, but they still look good. Leather is SO forgiving - it really holds up well in terms of dirt and stains.

I also have the ventilated seats (Luxury seating package). The air pushes OUT of the seats. It doesn’t suck air in. That also should help keep the leather clean, because grime won’t be embedded in the leather over time.

Keep in mind the dashboard and headliner are black. Seems to be the case in most cars unless you upscale to an option. I think the white seats help brighten the car and make it look clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Bummer they nixed Cognac too. I'd go with Coffee, it's very nice. That was my 2nd choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
bmwguymo2002
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & BMW X3

I just ordered a 2019 X5 40i with tartufo. Coffee would have been my second choice. Cognac looked odd to me. I'd go with the coffee if I were you. White seats scare me as far as stains, etc. Also don't really care for how they look.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have ivory in my 550. It is not at all hard to keep clean. Your jeans will rub off on it, but it is easily cleaned off with a leather cleaner once a month. After living with ivory for 3 years, I am ready for a change. Not because of maintenance, but I just don't like the color anymore - it's a bit bland and cold looking. I will also say that ivory doesn't age well if this is a car you are going to keep a long time. In my 550, the ivory has changed colors (gotten darker) in certain parts of the seats, door trims, etc. I attribute this to sun exposure more than anything else.

I agree that the 2020 color choices are terrible. Coffee is absolutely too dark for a brown - there is no richness to it. I wanted tartufo personally, but that is no longer an option either. I am actually leaning towards full black merino with a black alcantara headliner myself.
Appreciate 1
W0ut242.50
      06-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I went back and forth between coffee and tartufo. tartufo looks very luxurious but in sun light it can look a bit orange to me. Tartufo in the G05 is much better than in the 5 or 7 series. Those models have a lot tartufo colored plastic trim and that looks a bit tacky. The black plastic trim goes well with the tartufo.

I ended up choosing coffee. It's ok. It's like black. Not offensive but not really exciting.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I went back and forth between coffee and tartufo. tartufo looks very luxurious but in sun light it can look a bit orange to me. Tartufo in the G05 is much better than in the 5 or 7 series. Those models have a lot tartufo colored plastic trim and that looks a bit tacky. The black plastic trim goes well with the tartufo.

I ended up choosing coffee. It's ok. It's like black. Not offensive but not really exciting.
Can’t go wrong with brown leather. I’m sure you will love it.

Congrats and do NOT trust the online production tracker. It doesn’t work. After about three weeks, you can start asking your CA to get updates for you. He will get the best info. Genius live person can also get good info, but not the automated version.

Plan to wait five to six weeks. Mine took almost six weeks - and when built, left SC on Sunday and didn’t get to the dealer until Thursday. It was very frustrating and annoying, but I got over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
radelow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

BMW Genius will no longer give production status information as told to me TODAY. They said you have to call the automated line, go online, or talk to your dealer. Bummer as online and automated have been saying "entering production" for the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Can’t go wrong with brown leather. I’m sure you will love it.

Congrats and do NOT trust the online production tracker. It doesn’t work. After about three weeks, you can start asking your CA to get updates for you. He will get the best info. Genius live person can also get good info, but not the automated version.

Plan to wait five to six weeks. Mine took almost six weeks - and when built, left SC on Sunday and didn’t get to the dealer until Thursday. It was very frustrating and annoying, but I got over it.
      06-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radelow View Post
BMW Genius will no longer give production status information as told to me TODAY. They said you have to call the automated line, go online, or talk to your dealer. Bummer as online and automated have been saying "entering production" for the last week.
The online system is/was completely useless. So, it is no loss.

Best to ask your dealer once a week. I was able to text my sales guy, so it was always fast and easy to get updates. No playing phone tag.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
We had Ivory upholstery in a previous 3 Series and it was...not maintenance free, kindly put. Lovely to look at, but color transfered with everything not white. As others noted, it cleans off, but eventually those rub areas will be a different "Ivory" color - and won't clean off. It"s very apparent, because - white. If you're not OCD, and don't mind the lived-in look, white is a great color, especially for warmer climes (the downside being, sweat more, stain more), and it's stunning with exterior dark colors. But almost any other darker color will conceal those "off" areas that white shows. My personal preference is black, for reasons noted.
Appreciate 1
W0ut242.50