BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Sonicboy
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Alarm Recomendations

Hi All
Looking for some feedback on Alarm Systems. Been looking at the Pandora System. But would appreciate any feedback or positive exsperience anyone has had with other systems. Not sure the Gap Insurance is the right solution for a 1M but feedback would be great.

Martin UK
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Focus on not letting people know the car exists and maybe getting a good alarm for where it's stored.

If someone wants your car from out and about it's really easy to take on a towtruck all other methods aside. No alarm will help and GPS tracker is easily defeated.

If you have no place to store your car but outside on the street it will probably get stolen so just make sure that insurance is up and you don't keep anything too important in the car!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboy View Post
Hi All
Looking for some feedback on Alarm Systems. Been looking at the Pandora System. But would appreciate any feedback or positive exsperience anyone has had with other systems. Not sure the Gap Insurance is the right solution for a 1M but feedback would be great.

Martin UK
I thought BMW offered an optional alarm for 1 series. Probably an easy retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I thought BMW offered an optional alarm for 1 series. Probably an easy retrofit?
Done that. Not an easy retrofit as the wire-loom circles pretty much around the cabin, and headliner and dashboard need to come out (if you're doing it by the book). Yet you get all the OEM plusses and minuses, and that intimit feeling of having seen all interor areas of your 1M.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791256
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      06-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Focus on not letting people know the car exists and maybe getting a good alarm for where it's stored.

If someone wants your car from out and about it's really easy to take on a towtruck all other methods aside. No alarm will help and GPS tracker is easily defeated.

If you have no place to store your car but outside on the street it will probably get stolen so just make sure that insurance is up and you don't keep anything too important in the car!
Ditto.

Just scan this board for all the posts about 1Ms being stolen, most of which I believe have occurred in Europe and the UK. Some even have video surveillance footage.

If you have to store this car outside, unless it is in a secured area, then you should sell it and use the money for something else. Certain places are much more prone to this sort of high value auto theft, and others are relatively spared.

This is a car that needs to be garaged somewhere that has a modicum of protection.
      06-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Done that. Not an easy retrofit as the wire-loom circles pretty much around the cabin, and headliner and dashboard need to come out (if you're doing it by the book). Yet you get all the OEM plusses and minuses, and that intimit feeling of having seen all interor areas of your 1M.

1. That DIY is hardcore.
2. Your last sentence above made me feel sort of dirty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

1. That DIY is hardcore.
2. Your last sentence above made me feel sort of dirty.
Alarm? What is 1994? Viper?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

From experience helping moderate a large forum for a car marque that is high on the list for theft...
Adopt a multi layered approach starting with the home.
Make sure the BMW firmware patches have been applied.
Faraday pouches for your keys, especially if you have comfort access.
Mechanical protection such as the Disklok.
Autowatch Ghost - google Chris Preston of Veil Tuning who seems to be the "go to" guy for this system.

Food for thought and I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0