BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Wheel width and Offset Check

06-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Wheel width and Offset Check

Can anybody please help me gut check what I think to be true?

If an inch of wheel with is 25.4mm, is it fair today that a 1-inch increase (all else being equal, such as offset, etc.) would push the outer edge out 12.7mm (or half of the increase in total width)? Along the same lines, is it fair to say that for a wheel of the same width, but with 9mm more offset, that would push the outer edge out 9mm (the full amount of the offset increase because it is measured from the hub out)?

So the first example may not make sense in the real world (because width and offset probably both change), but I just want to make sure that when these two changes are taken into account (i.e., and increase / decrease in wheel width combined with a change in offset) that the cumulative / net change is something that I can know in advance. Thanks.

Alex
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

I use this when comparing wheel width/offsets https://www.willtheyfit.com/

You can measure the clearance of your current wheels and figure out whether your new wheels will fit or not, assuming you know their width and offset.
      06-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

that's correct, if you're getting a wheel 1" wider, split in half and add to the hub side plus whatever the offset is.. if offset is lower by 9mm than stock it will bring it out that much more.. the end result would look something like this.

stock
20x9.5 ET28
20x10.5 ET28

20x10.5 ET21 (overall would sit 21mm close to fender than stock)
20/11.5 ET21 (overall would sit 21mm close to fender than stock)
Appreciate 0