BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
mrs best
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Bluetooth Connectivity Issues

When I am listening to music from my phone (on connected devices), it constantly disconnects and reconnects. Anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
daveyfuzz@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

major phone/bluetooth/carplay connectivity issues

My X5 has the WORST mobile device connectivity issues, particularly bluetooth pairing and getting Apple CarPlay to connect. Almost EVERYDAY I have to disable my bluetooth, "forget this device" and repair with the car... almost daily.

It's VERY annoying. Tech Guru at BMW says, "Oh, we've heard problems with the new iPhone 10s." Which seems like a way of just passing the buck.

We also have tons of problems trying to have two phones connected at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I experienced intermittent connecting problems with my iPhone Xs Max but it was cured when I did a soft reboot of the iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Me Too

I've given up trying to keep two phones connected. Both are Android Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9. On approved BMW list. First phone connected works fine. Second gets 'forgotten'. Sometimes, if reboot iDrive, keeps second phone on list for a few days. Sometimes forgets immediately (I mean, I see it drop off the KNOWN DEVICES list).

Hoping a software update will fix. Waiting until I know one is available via dealer to take to dealer.....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
mrs best
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

My BMW guru said it was probably my phone too. I have iPhone X. Had a 2018 BMW 535i before this one and didn't have any issues at all. Same phone. It disconnects probably every 4 minutes and then reconnects. So frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
X5G05SYD
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 M SPORTS, M PER

yup its a shit system that bmw cant get right ! honestly its f'd
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs best View Post
My BMW guru said it was probably my phone too. I have iPhone X. Had a 2018 BMW 535i before this one and didn't have any issues at all. Same phone. It disconnects probably every 4 minutes and then reconnects. So frustrating.
Of course those so called BMW genius/guru’s blame on your iPhone. This reminds me an incident with my cable provider. The phone rep. said the modem you have is not ours, we cant support it and there are probably some issues with it. I was 99.9% certain there was nothing wrong with my modem.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

Hi guys.
I'm also listening music by Bluetooth, Samsung Note9.
I have a question, while I'm listening no folder (artist) picture shown and when someone calling from contacts with picture, there no picture is shown as well.

Any ideas, how can I fix it?
thanks
      02-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
HaniA
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2019

I have same case cant connect my two phones at the same time. I used to with my old system but not in the G05. Yes the new system is so frustrating
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
pteeling
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi - 2020 x5

When pairing a normal Android (Galaxy S9) phone with "just" bluetooth to the car (new 2020 X5), regularly all the dashboard screens just turn off (including the one behind the steering wheel) so you can't even see how fast you're going. (which can be pretty fun sometimes).

Has anyone ever seen all the electronics just "go dark" because of a bluetooth phone connection? BMW states it's the phone, but I have some serious doubts about that. This shouldn't ever happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteeling View Post
When pairing a normal Android (Galaxy S9) phone with "just" bluetooth to the car (new 2020 X5), regularly all the dashboard screens just turn off (including the one behind the steering wheel) so you can't even see how fast you're going. (which can be pretty fun sometimes).

Has anyone ever seen all the electronics just "go dark" because of a bluetooth phone connection? BMW states it's the phone, but I have some serious doubts about that. This shouldn't ever happen.
I've never seen that on my 2020 X7 running 2019/7.59. I connect with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Note 9. Mine works quite well.

Have you tried rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button until the screen goes black? This fixes many Bluetooth issues and other anomalies in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
pteeling
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi - 2020 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I've never seen that on my 2020 X7 running 2019/7.59. I connect with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Note 9. Mine works quite well.

Have you tried rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button until the screen goes black? This fixes many Bluetooth issues and other anomalies in iDrive.
The dealership has tried everything so far - they're now to the point where they seem to make the problem want to go away by blaming the phone and offering to buy us a new phone. That's great, but it's providing a band-aid, not curing the actual problem. Any modern Android phone(or other OS for that matter) should be able to connect to a modern car without anything like this happening. I'm afraid that something else is up with the whole system of the car and that in the long run it's going to bite us. Not saying it needs to be "lemoned" out just yet, but eventually that's what BMWNA probably needs to do (replacing all the systems wouldn't make a lot of sense).

And - never had any issues with multiple different phones on my old 2012 5 series, so it baffles me that newer cars have such a problem
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteeling View Post
The dealership has tried everything so far - they're now to the point where they seem to make the problem want to go away by blaming the phone and offering to buy us a new phone. That's great, but it's providing a band-aid, not curing the actual problem. Any modern Android phone(or other OS for that matter) should be able to connect to a modern car without anything like this happening. I'm afraid that something else is up with the whole system of the car and that in the long run it's going to bite us. Not saying it needs to be "lemoned" out just yet, but eventually that's what BMWNA probably needs to do (replacing all the systems wouldn't make a lot of sense).

And - never had any issues with multiple different phones on my old 2012 5 series, so it baffles me that newer cars have such a problem
Actually, there are number of things on your phone that could be causing the problem. I've experienced this same issue on other vehicles where my Samsung Note 8 would just kill the Bluetooth connection and no longer connect to the car while my wife's Note 10 worked just fine on the same car.

Unfortunately, if you want to test to see if it's your phone you will need to either reset your phone to factory defaults and then see if it solves the problem. You could also try uninstalling all your apps and disabling any app updates that were installed. However, that's a crap shoot.

Another option is to borrow another android phone from someone and see if it has the same problem after using it for a few days.

In any case, you can't always just blame the car. Many times it can be the phone and in some cases compatibility between the phone and the car. That's why some automakers list the phones that are supposedly "Tested" for compatibility with their vehicles.

It's very frustrating indeed. However, that's the nature of technology these days.

If I were you I would let them buy you a new phone and see if it fixes the problem. If the new phone fixes the problem then I would reset your old phone and try it again and see if it works after you reset it.

Then you'll have your answer. If the phone they give you does the same thing your old phone did you will know it's the car and not the phone. I would also try different android model phone as a 3rd test. Just make sure it's one on BMW's compatibility list.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Well, that sucks. I was looking for a solution here for my G07 and it seems like another never ending story...

I see this issue with iPhone6S, iPhone7 and Samsung Galaxy S20. Don't you dare, BMW, to call it a "mobile device related issue" - never saw this with my F15...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
Chill8d
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 2020

Hi Peeps. Thank you for the interesting read above. I'm experiencing Bluetooth connectivity problems.

The phones won't connect and can't be detected. The paired phones profiles can't be deleted. The wifi and Bluetooth can be deactivated.

The car is 2 months old now. Has anyone else had this issue? I'll contact the dealer before rebooting or performing a factory reset.

Warmest regards
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #16
Oniongc
Rep
Drives: 2019 g20

I see this problem as well but I believe that it's my Wi-Fi causing it. Seems to only be an issue when leaving to work (home Wi-Fi still connected) and heading home( work Wi-Fi connected) once I'm out of range the proper connections are made. However this doesn't happen 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Chill8d
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 2020

Good morning Oniongo.... love the pseudynom by the way.

Good news on the issue mentioned by me above. A reset of the blue tooth by pressing in the on off button cleared the problem. The phone was repaired successfully. Hopefully this will last more than a week.

Interesting the wifi is interfering with your blue tooth. I'm guessing it's the same box as the bluetooth in the car. I haven't experienced this problem just yet. It would be interesting if others have the same experience.

Meanwhile, stay away from work? Lol A better excuse than the dog eating your homework.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I wonder if it makes a difference where the phone is or not. Placing it into the charger well couples it to the internal cellular connection, but it may also couple it to BT and WiFi more efficiently...don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try if you don't use that pad.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #19
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Now working

Just an update, a couple years later, I think one of the OTA software updates fixed it...it just started to work as it should without changing cell phones...then did update both our Android phones, and still works as it should...it seems it was the X5's software after all
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:31 PM   #20
sinan1903
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

hey i have the same problem did you solve the problem?thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #21
sinan1903
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill8d View Post
Hi Peeps. Thank you for the interesting read above. I'm experiencing Bluetooth connectivity problems.

The phones won't connect and can't be detected. The paired phones profiles can't be deleted. The wifi and Bluetooth can be deactivated.

The car is 2 months old now. Has anyone else had this issue? I'll contact the dealer before rebooting or performing a factory reset.

Warmest regards
hey i have the same problem did you solve the problem thank you
Appreciate 0