THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Quaife LSD installed

07-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2c

Quaife LSD installed

From the moment I started looking at the M235i, and realized I could not find a used car with a LSD, I knew I would do a Limited Slip. This post is about the how and why's of the process, and first (final) reflections.

For some back story,
I bought an 85 Toyota Corolla GT-S in 2002ish after being inspired to learn how to drive by a very early rip of Initial D.. Through the many car stories of that beautiful machine I found mostly troubling experiences with clutch type differentials. It was worn out when i got the car making driving unpredictable, like an open differential. My inexperience with driving made the trials and tribulations of figuring out what was going on back there very frustrating. In time culminating in a drive, that upon immediate reflection, was seemingly suicidal in that old tin shit box of a car that had only seat belts for safety.. And then I fell in love with her! At speed was the only time when the old worn out clutch packs would bite enough to preform.. and so that's how I drove that 140ish HP car.. at Speed. (No mom, I don't need a lecture.. this was 18 years ago so keep it to yourself)
In time I couldn't find the clutches let alone anyone to rebuild them, so i bought a new clutch type LSD that was awesome... for a couple years.. then slowly you could feel them wearing out..
Next i bought a supercharged S2000 that have Torsen Differentials from the factory. it was clean fast fun and all day reliable, and most importantly Predictable.
From my understanding M235i's had to be ordered with the M performance LSD (clutch type), making the option very rare indeed. I asked some questions on here but more a less knew I was leaning Quaife.
Understanding Limited Slip Differential -

Torsen Differential, How it works -

Differential Locker Comparison -

I ordered my complete Quaife ATB final drive from Birds Garage UK on or about 6/16/19 for $2,700usd core included with next day shipping (for an extra $30 that turned out to be worthless). all contact with birds was through there website then though email and was fast and professional. international wired the money through my bank to theirs..
Bird's wants you to use a gear oil with no friction modifier in it, which because i use to have to buy LSD additive from GM and couldn't ever find modified gear oil back with the AE86, i didn't realize i had to order.. 6 days from ECStuning. Then i started to try to find a shop to put it in...

Which leads me to the whole point of this post. I could NOT find anyone around me that would install the complete final drive.. Dealer were jerks and said the will only install factory parts , and all the shops i called said they didnt have the specialty tools for BMW rear axles. so i did it myself.

Here is that video.

The Quaife made the car come to life. Before this mod I would describe the car as "soulless", yes real. It was as personal of an insult to the people complementing this gorgeous BMW as im sure it will be to many that own and love these cars. it's almost like unlimited grip because the car can't overcome itself, so popper good right up to 90% then there's just nothing left. Quite like a supermodel that up close you can see the deep and stupid stubbornness in her eyes.
Sports+ and every other bump in the road flashed the "no fun" sign in your face.. and then when I'd be so burdened to hold down the no fun button till it would light up the idiot light "FUN" (BMW spells that "dtc off") the damn open diff acts like traction control just spinning the inside wheel.. or sometimes kicking the car sideways, fast but in the slowest way possible.
With the Quaife i can feel the control point and how much grip was being left on the table. The balance of the car seams to have shifted with the torque going to that outside tire and you can just feel that extra special something .. and that.. is I believe where Love is.

I hope this helps someone out, Cheers!
AE86
Attached Images

Last edited by nixeighty6; 07-01-2019 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 3
B58togo808.50
Poochie9104.50
Jashue190.50