F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > US to German TUV modifications for 2015 428 GC
proTUNING Freaks

07-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
30West
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

US to German TUV modifications for 2015 428 GC

Moving to Germany for a few years and planning on bringing my 2015 428 Gran Coupe with me. Has anyone gone through the process of modifying the car to pass the German TUV inspection in the US? It seems that the mark up doing it there is much more expensive than it could be done for here.

The following things would need to be done:

Change rear outer tail lights to euro spec with amber vs the US red turn signals.

Install headlamp washers.

Install switchable rear fog light.

I’ve seen a few videos on the fog light and it looks like all I have to do is change some coding and do a small modification to the existing switch,

Ive seen tail lights available a couple places online but it may be best to purchase them from a German retailer and shipped to the US. Or find a German that would want to swap for a set with the red signals for cosmetic purposes.

The headlamp washers are kind of a mystery to me. I’ve asked my local dealership about it and they flat out won’t do the work. They said to contact a dealership in Germany when I get there.

I’m seeing price quotes between $3500 and $5000 including using the 19% VAT tax over there. I’m figuring that it has to be much less expensive just to do this all on my own before leaving.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
The TRG56.00
      07-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

If you've got xenon lights fitted without headlight washers then you can either revert back to standard bulbs and there will be no requirement to have headlight washers. I've a 17 f30 with BMW led headlights from factory and I don't have headlight washers. So the must me no requirement to have washers fitted for those
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

You will have a bit of time to make changes once your car gets there. You should get some temp plates during that time. It's easier to get the tail lamps once you are there. Where are you headed? I may be able to help through some people I know there.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
30West
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
If you've got xenon lights fitted without headlight washers then you can either revert back to standard bulbs and there will be no requirement to have headlight washers. I've a 17 f30 with BMW led headlights from factory and I don't have headlight washers. So the must me no requirement to have washers fitted for those
Great idea! I’m going to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
You will have a bit of time to make changes once your car gets there. You should get some temp plates during that time. It's easier to get the tail lamps once you are there. Where are you headed? I may be able to help through some people I know there.
I was thinking that buying them there might be easier. I’ve been looking online but haven’t been able to find them sourced from Germany. Im headed to Düsseldorf, but will most likely pick the car up in Bremerhaven.
Appreciate 0