BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Texas Dealer Ratings

Just found this site, after it was posted in the Non-BMW section.

Looks like classic is ahead in the DFW area but quite a nice margin, although Autobahn has no feedback at all.

(DFW area dealerships include Moritz, Classic, Autobahn, and BMW of Dallas [Formerly John Roberts BMW])

Heres the link:
http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Texas/BMW/

Quote:
Dealer Name Review Count Average Rating
Advantage BMW Clearlake 7 2.3
Advantage BMW Downtown 3 1.2
Alderson BMW 0 0
Autobahn Motorcar Group 0 0
Bert Ogden BMW 0 0
BMW Center 0 0
BMW Dealers San Antonio 0 0
BMW momentum 0 0
BMW of Austin 7 3.8
BMW of Beaumont 0 0
BMW of Beaumont 0 0
BMW of Houston North 10 3
BRONCHO-BUICK-BMW 0 0
Cardenas BMW 0 0
Classic BMW 18 4.9
Coastal Motorcars 2 1
Garlyn Shelton Imports 3 5
Joe Pistocco Automall 0 0
John Roberts BMW 12 3.2
Momentum 0 0
Momentum BMW 18 1
Moritz BMW 11 2.6
      08-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

After reading through some of the reviews, I'm not sure the average rating is very accurate. Unless the year that the comments were originally posted has a degrading value in the final average as time passes by.

But classic had alot of 1*'s in service. More than a 4.9 on a 5 scale would really allow for with only 18 entries.
      08-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Four years ago, I shopped at Classic and found the sales people to be good. Respectful, not too pushy, and surprisingly knowledgeable.

The service department is a different story. I don't know if they've improved, but two years ago, I took my car in for a broken motor mount. Felt like riding a bucking bronco. They had the car for a whole day, but failed to diagnose, much less fiix the problem.

As far as best sales department in Texas, Garlyn Shelton is hands down my favorite (I'm buying my second BMW from the one in Bryan, but I hear the one in Temple is just as good). Low key, small town attitude, above and beyond customer service, and great pricing. Best service department I've found is Advantage BMW Midtown in Houston. They are very good at what they do, and don't beat you up with service charges.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

From what I understand they have 'thrown out' all of their old service guys. At their old location I had some bad service guys and heard even worse horror stories from people. Since they moved to their new location they have basically reworked their staff. I have had nothing but exceptional service from them so far. Their sales staff is also fantastic. I worked with Bill Lang who was great.
      08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

service at the new classic is top notch. if you haven't been over there since they've moved into their new facility, for service or sales, go check it out. they have incredible facilities and i haven't had any problems whatsoever. makes bmw of dallas look like a kia dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I always thought BMW of Austin to be great

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
service at the new classic is top notch. if you haven't been over there since they've moved into their new facility, for service or sales, go check it out. they have incredible facilities and i haven't had any problems whatsoever. makes bmw of dallas look like a kia dealer

I also highly recommend Pat. Arnold for all your service needs. He's very knowledgable & up-to-date w/the newest TSB's & recalls.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
BMW of Dallas is a pretty shoddy dealer. They are owned by Autonation.

Speaking of which, I always thought that Classic was family owned. I was talking to a CA at Autobahn not too long ago, and he said that classic was owned by Autonation as well. Anyone know the truth behind this regarding Classic?

He also said that Autobahn was owned by the Bass bros.
      08-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
...Speaking of which, I always thought that Classic was family owned. I was talking to a CA at Autobahn not too long ago, and he said that classic was owned by Autonation as well. Anyone know the truth behind this regarding Classic?

He also said that Autobahn was owned by the Bass bros.
As of 2-months ago when I bought an M3 there, the CA told me it was still owned by the same family. In fact, around the same time there was a BMW meet there (Dyno Day also) & the owner personally gave a tour of the whole dealership while talking about a piece of history there.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
I always thought BMW of Austin to be great
Agreed. Lounge is amazing. Penske >>>> John Roberts
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
As of 2-months ago when I bought an M3 there, the CA told me it was still owned by the same family. In fact, around the same time there was a BMW meet there (Dyno Day also) & the owner personally gave a tour of the whole dealership while talking about a piece of history there.
Wow, that is pretty cool. I went out to Classic not too long ago and the CA I spoke with said they were still family owned. I just wanted to see if anyone had any incite beyond the dealership hearsay. Glad to hear that they are family owned, and its pretty cool that the owner showed up.

Classical left me with a very good impression when I've visited them in their new location. Unfortunately, I just moved to a new house closer to my job and couldn't live any further away from Classic and still be considered in DFW. I bet it would be over an 1hr drive without traffic just to get there. Service would be a nightmare!

And I don't know how well it would work out to buy the car at classic but then use autobahn for service. I feel like I would get better work, honesty, and treatment if I bought the car at the same place I do my service.
      08-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Agreed. Lounge is amazing. Penske >>>> John Roberts
Is there also a John Roberts BMW in Austin?
      08-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

classic is definitely family owned. they're not owned by a larger company like autonation. really what it all comes down to is customer service, and i think they are the best. i've never had a single bad experience there and that is everything for me. plus, if you haven't been there, they have brand new state-of-the-art facilitates, huge service department, and maintenance is done quick and right. i base my opinions on buying bmw's from different dallas dealers (namely bmw of dallas) and relating the experiences. classic won without a doubt. thats my 2 cents

Last edited by Blake; 08-13-2008 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
...And I don't know how well it would work out to buy the car at classic but then use autobahn for service. I feel like I would get better work, honesty, and treatment if I bought the car at the same place I do my service.
I'm not sure if it still applies but back when I bought an e46 M3, Classic BMW (old location) told me if I go to another dealership (for service) then it's not a guarantee I'll get a loaner everytime I drop off the car for service since that's up to the dealership. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
I'm not sure if it still applies but back when I bought an e46 M3, Classic BMW (old location) told me if I go to another dealership (for service) then it's not a guarantee I'll get a loaner everytime I drop off the car for service since that's up to the dealership. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Interesting topic to bring up.

I had heard that it was BMW policy to give complementary BMW loaners to M car owners that are getting service done.

But this was purely just rumor that I heard sometime in the past. I hope its true, I like to think its true. But I don't know for sure.

When I lived in Cleveland for a year, I took my e46 330ci in for service one time and they gave me a 325i sedan for a loaner for a few hours for free. Which leaves me completely lost on the subject. I should probably just call up to each of the dealerships and ask a random CA what their policy is on loaners for M car owners. Maybe also ask them about buying there, but then using another owner.
      08-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

One other thing that might bother me is that I have talked to a CA at Autobahn (closest dealer in proximity to where I live) and he pretty much knows me. So if I bought somewhere else, it would be pretty obvious when I just show up one day with a brand spanking new M3 that needs to get something worked on. 1200 mile service, oil change, etc.

I guess the solution would be to just talk to him first and see what kind of a deal he will work with me on. Then if its not what I'm looking for it would be obvious, I'd leave under the pretense that I was looking for a better deal and I think that might deminish any "Wtf?!" factor of me then showing up for service in a M3 bought elsewhere.

Still would bug me though a bit. I would really like to get both sales and service from the same location. Wish me luck that my CA will bargain well with me when the times comes!

Maybe now would be a good time to mention that I HATE POLITICS!
      08-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I find myself in the same boat. The dealership that is less than 2 miles from my house has a great service department, and they know me down there. However, every time I've shopped for a BMW, they refuse to discount more than a token $500, so I've always gone elsewhere. This M3 will be no exception.

I handle it by giving them the first bite at the apple. I then inevitably shop elsewhere. I follow it up by offering them a chance to meet or beat the best offer I find. They have yet to do so, but things always end on a friendly note.

One recommendation I would make is that if your CA friend comes within $500 of the best price you can find elsewhere, I'd go with your friend. It's hard to put a price on a good relationship with a CA/SA/dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
...Wish me luck that my CA will bargain well with me when the times comes!...
Good luck!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I handle it by giving them the first bite at the apple. I then inevitably shop elsewhere. I follow it up by offering them a chance to meet or beat the best offer I find. They have yet to do so, but things always end on a friendly note.
I actually like that idea. The last little chance at the end for them to match would probably solve any awkwardness that would evolve.

Thanks!
      08-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #20
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there also a John Roberts BMW in Austin?
There was but Penske bought them out.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
There was but Penske bought them out.
Makes sense, since that is what happened to the one in Dallas as well.