BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Inaccurate iDrive Navigation

I had three incidents where the iDrive Navigation had led me to a wrong destination in the past three weeks of ownership. It was usually off by a block or it led me to wrong side of the street.

I usually used the POI voice command to find the destinations. But I don't think it was the wrong POI information because I checked the address each time.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any resolution?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Me too. I hate that thing. I’m using my tomtom Go.

Personally I’d rather have the screen showing other things. I’ll use it when I travel, but I’ll depend on the tomtom.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
I had three incidents where the iDrive Navigation had led me to a wrong destination in the past three weeks of ownership. It was usually off by a block or it led me to wrong side of the street.
Anyone else having the same issue? Any resolution?
Unfortunately, iDrive navigation isn't very good in routing.
Try updating the Map to the latest software.

For me, I use Google Map with CarPlay - it is simply miles ahead of most other navigation solution in terms of routing and ETA accuracy. And its satellite view also looks amazing on the wide screen.

Last edited by nosnoop; 07-10-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post

For me, I use Google Map with CarPlay - it is simply miles ahead of most other navigation solution in terms of routing and ETA accuracy. And its satellite view also looks amazing on the wide screen.
How can you update the iDrive nav? Everything I’ve read says you get four updates a year and can’t do anything with it otherwise. My tomtom updates constantly. I love it and I wish I could’ve bought the BMW without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That doesn't sound good...
I love Google Maps, but I feel the car is more integrated with iDrive Maps than Carplay (Especially when you use Adoptive mode).

In addition, my Carplay subscription is expiring this year and I don't like the idea of an annual fee for something that other manufacturers don't charge.

Funny story: I never had a routing issue with my 2009 X5 nav which used a 2016 version of map DVD...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

My experience is on the contrary - I drove down to SoCal this past long weekend and up until now I always have used WAZE/Google Maps for all my trips even internationally. This time around I had both going on at the same time - WAZE, which is highly accurate and the iDrive Map Navigation. Both showed the exact same route and believe it or not the iDrive map updated itself a couple of times in between to avoid/let me know of upcoming traffic, etc.

I just love it so far at least. Each time it has guided me to the exact point of my destination without any problems. I love the auto traffic update feature - i am not sure if this is enabled only if you have the car WiFi running, which I have by the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Similar to samvora, I've had pretty good results so far using the BMW navigation system. It's definitely better than my experience with Apple Maps
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Similar to samvora, I've had pretty good results so far using the BMW navigation system. It's definitely better than my experience with Apple Maps
I've had really good experiences as well. Pretty awesome hud integration with picking lanes as well. Maybe it has to do with the location you are in. I've used it in NJ and NY with no problems.

Tomtom? Really? A stand alone gps would honestly be the last option i use when i have CarPlay available if i didn't like onboard nav.

Nothing is better than Waze I think due to all the alerts you get, along with the traffic mitigation, but... BMWs GPS is really good in my opinion.

Hopefully you guys get an update, or try not to use POI and use actual addresses.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #9
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBock727 View Post
I've had really good experiences as well. Pretty awesome hud integration with picking lanes as well. Maybe it has to do with the location you are in. I've used it in NJ and NY with no problems.

Tomtom? Really? A stand alone gps would honestly be the last option i use when i have CarPlay available if i didn't like onboard nav.

Nothing is better than Waze I think due to all the alerts you get, along with the traffic mitigation, but... BMWs GPS is really good in my opinion.

Hopefully you guys get an update, or try not to use POI and use actual addresses.
Alright I tested them using both POI and actual address and they appear to be giving me the same incorrect information. Here are the screen shot of Google Maps (100% correct) vs iDrive (always off by a block or two):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #10
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I agree. TomTom on CarPlay costs £15 a year and looks great on the big screen.

I use both TT and iDrive Navigation simultaneously. iDrive Nav is much better than previous generations but its rerouting is still poor i.e. if you stray from its preplanned route, the replanned route can be illogical and inefficient.

The DAP integrates with the iDrive nav slowing for roundabouts, junctions etc so its really useful to have it running, but having TT running as well gives the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I don’t use CarPlay. I just use the tomtom separately. I’ve never used my phone for navigation because i don’t want to play with the phone constantly. I’m old-fashioned that way.

The biggest benefit of the tomtom (or any gps unit) is that it gives you accurate speed of your car. The bmw speedometer is WAY off and very inconsistent. Worse than my highlander which was consistent in being 3mph below the actual speed of the car.

Which makes me think the gps in the car just isn’t as accurate. I also prefer watching the tomtom to trying to duck and bend to see the car’s dashboard, which is mostly blocked by the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:

I don't use CarPlay. I just use the tomtom separately. I've never used my phone for navigation because i don't want to play with the phone constantly. I'm old-fashioned that way.

The biggest benefit of the tomtom (or any gps unit) is that it gives you accurate speed of your car. The bmw speedometer is WAY off and very inconsistent. Worse than my highlander which was consistent in being 3mph below the actual speed of the car.

Which makes me think the gps in the car just isn't as accurate. I also prefer watching the tomtom to trying to duck and bend to see the car's dashboard, which is mostly blocked by the steering wheel.
Put the navigation on the hud and the larger screen.

How are you measuring the accuracy of the speedometer? And for what purpose?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
As a point of reference, the EU must adhere to UN ECE Regulation 39, which allows the speedometer to register as much as 10% over, plus up to 6 km/hr over that. Auto manufacturers are strictly prohibited from producing speedometers registering lower than the true speed, with large fines potentially imposed (I don't know that any have been). Our European M5 years ago consistently registered about 3 kph over actual speed. How that impacts US-manufactured cars is anyone's guess, but if the components are from Europe they may or may not get re-calibrated. I do know that our European-made Audis both show about 2 mph higher than actual speed by GPS verification on the speedometers.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Put the navigation on the hud and the larger screen.

How are you measuring the accuracy of the speedometer? And for what purpose?
I measure the accuracy of the speedometer against the tomtom, which I know is accurate, mostly for setting cruise control so I don’t get stopped, but can go as fast as possible.

I’ve been using nav units for accurate speed for many years, since no cars have accurate speedometers.

For nav, I’m not using the in-car unit. I used it twice and it led me around in circles to an address that was on a main highway road.

When we take our long trip I will work with it when my husband is driving, but generally I’m driving the car alone and don’t use navigation for local destinations. I already know where they are.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I've got a good one. It is unlikely at the primary root cause of the inaccuracies described earlier, but it is an [COLOR="Blue"]awesome[/COLOR] bug that I discovered yesterday when trying to navigate to a food place 13 minutes away that I was told by the voice was actually going to take over 6.5h with 21min of traffic delays.

Take a look at the pics. First is the place with correct address. Second and third is what ended up being stored as a result. I was navigating to the stored favourite. Awesome!!!

Yes, the place is in a city called Kitchener on a street named Ottawa St. And yes, there is a city in Canada called Ottawa that happens to have a street called Kitchener Ave. But seriously, what does the programmer have to be high on at the time to make this bug! And a better question, how do I report this bug to BMW in a way that will actually make it to this, now hopefully sober, engineer for repair.
Attached Images

07-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I will work with it when I get a chance and am bored enough to want to. I remember the car we rented in Germany. It supposedly would not have a nav, so I purchased the maps and installed them on my nav and took it with me.

Well, that rental car DID have a nav unit. So I ran both the entire time to compare, and since my husband did ALL the driving, I had plenty of time to figure it out. And it worked great.

I’m sure the nav in the BMW works well also, I just need to figure it out. I’ll have that chance later this month when we will spend at least 40 hours on the road.

He will just HAVE to drive. He doesn’t like driving my new car, but I’m hoping he will get over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

I got this facepalm moment with my previous BMW:

G05's navigation is improved, I am sure, but I am still getting the occasional routing sending me for a loop (though much smaller scale than the one above) when the destination is right ahead of me. Was thinking of taking a screen shot, but don't want to risk getting the ticket with the current distracted driving law.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #18
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I got this facepalm moment with my previous BMW:

G05's navigation is improved, I am sure, but I am still getting the occasional routing sending me for a loop (though much smaller scale than the one above) when the destination is right ahead of me. Was thinking of taking a screen shot, but don't want to risk getting the ticket with the current distracted driving law.
Hahahaha. This one gave me a good laugh lol. I do see something like this on Apple Maps as well, but seriously..

Whenever I use BMW navigation these days, I have to double check it with Google Map before leaving. over 50% of address seems to be inaccurate in Southern California. This is really defeating the purpose of having an in-car navigation.. I never had to deal with this on CIC navigation in my 2009 X5...
Appreciate 0