BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Post 1,200 mile break in question

07-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
Post 1,200 mile break in question

So I finally cracked the 1,200 mile barrier on my new M35. My question is based on my poorly calibrated butt dyno the car seems more responsive, faster off the line, quicker acceleration, and generally it feel like it pull stronger. Even when not pushing it and driving like I usually do, it just feels faster. I drive in sport 90+% of the time, shifter not in sport or manual mode. Does the getting past break-in change the computer so it "frees up" the car? I thought I read that the car "learns" you driving habits relative to the transmission is this true and how do I teach it new tricks?

This is my first new BMW (2nd overall and the other one is a 335X with a stick shift which I still have for now) so I am new to the whole BMW break in and automatic game.

Thanks for any insights and advice
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I can't comment specifically on the X2.. but BMW's transmission does "adapt" to your driving style.. and the other cars have always needed new adaptation done when things get wonky. Of course those were different transmissions. I suppose in all it could be possible to "program" the car to unlock things after the break-in, but according to my sales guy there's no such thing on the m35. I asked since the dealer did say come back after the 1,200 just to check on things/fluids being low. I crossed it for a while, and frankly it's not convenient for me to stop by to do it and I asked all the other questions at the time. I suppose most likely you're just feeling happy you can get on it. I personally never believed in babying the cars too much, and I feel it behaves the same as day 1 so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
Interesting comment on going back in after 1,200 miles. When I picked up the car I asked and my CA said there wasn't a break-in service. I also called the service folks after 1,200 and they said no break-in service. On the other hand I really like the car, fun to drive and as an older guy I actually enjoy being up a little higher and much easier to get in and out of.
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

It could be the dealer just being nice. They also want you to come in for a "refresher course" of bmw idrive etc where you can ask more questions. I think it was their "encore?" This included checking out the car, changing the oil, topping up fluids and giving it a car wash. It was offered on the last vehicle we bought as well. I never did either of them since time is not plentiful in our family and we didn't really have more questions since we have had BMW's all along the way, not many questions I haven't already answered. I did/do check occasionally the fluids etc in the cars myself.. and with no dipstick available.. that part isn't an option.
Appreciate 0